PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Storage Tank

Dennis1977
20-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Guys,

Can any body help me how to design a Thermal Storage Tank and what to consider on the installation.

Thanks

Brian_UK
20-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I would start with Google and work out from there.

Here's a start...
http://www.plumbingpages.com/featurepages/HWdpsThermstore.cfm

Dennis1977
21-07-2010, 05:30 AM
Hi Brain,

Thanks for the link actually I forgot to mention that I need thermal storage tank for the chilled water.

Regards

Peter_1
21-07-2010, 06:36 AM
www.cristopia.com the use balls filled with an eutectic solution
And
http://www.packo.com/en/5841 in the same street as we live .

Tesla
21-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Mathematically calculus maxima minima will allow you to work out the maximum volume with minimum surface area to give the least losses eg a cylinder calculates height of 2 with diameter of 1 roughly. Then baffling - a spiral vertical form where (stored) fluid travels on top from centre to exterior. This is for cooling - opposite for heating. I have not seen commercial units like this but you said you want to design one. So here's a start regarding the geometrical form, as for the heat xfer calcs you will find them on a search of this forum.

toprunner
21-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Mathematically calculus maxima minima will allow you to work out the maximum volume with minimum surface area to give the least losses eg a cylinder calculates height of 2 with diameter of 1 roughly. Then baffling - a spiral vertical form where (stored) fluid travels on top from centre to exterior. This is for cooling - opposite for heating. I have not seen commercial units like this but you said you want to design one. So here's a start regarding the geometrical form, as for the heat xfer calcs you will find them on a search of this forum.

There are some applications with Phase Change Material to reduce size. But PCM is not cheap

Peter_1
21-07-2010, 02:55 PM
A salt solution is a PCM and is well suited for a cooling application.
don't try to re-invent the wheel and learn how others have made it.
We once did a test with PET bottles from Cola filled with a salt solution and stored those in an isolated container.
This worked very well. It's a little bit like the Cristopia system...but a lot cheaper.

azka
26-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi forumers, i got another question about thermal storage tank. how to know about charging operation for storage system. how long to take time. what the suggestion to improve the thermal storage to keep energy for along time ?

Peter_1
26-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Time needed = time it takes to change the eutectic solution from its liquid to its solid phase + heat losses.
Improve storage time = bigger tank is the only solution