PDA

View Full Version : Moisture bound insulation

Temprite
17-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Hello all.

I read recently that you can dry out water logged insulation in a freezer room or cabinet by drilling holes in the lining inside the cabinet.

I assume the idea is that the water freezes on the coil and after defrost goes down the drain.

Has anyone any experience on this, or knows if it even works?

Regards.

Argus
17-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Once water-logged, always water-logged.
It will never dry out properly. The reason is probably a broken down vapour seal.

The only real solution is to strip it out and re-insulate properly with a vapour barier.
Drilling holes will make it worse.
________
Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Silver_Spirit)

Temprite
18-05-2005, 02:57 PM
I have fixed water logged insulation before, and normally would never leave on open hole in a cabinet liner.
At the moment we have an ARNEG freezer that is moisture bound.I wish it was as simple as seal up the hole on the outside and drill some holes on the inside and presto dry insulation

MOISTURE AND ICE IN THE CABINET INSULATION.

Moisture and ice in the cabinet insulation is serious.It means there is an air leak in the outside cabinet seal or shell.The leak allows warm, moist air to enter this space. When the warm air strikes the cold inner liner, it gives up its moisture.

When this occurs in the cabinet of the fresh food refrigerator, the insulation becomes wet and loses its heat insulating qualities. There will be two indications pointing to this trouble:

1.The condensing unit will run more than normal.
2.The outside surface of the refrigerator will feel colder than normal wherever the insulation is wet.

In the case of a food freezer, the condensed moisture will form ice in the insulation. The symptons will be much the same as in fresh food refrigerators. If this condition continues, enough ice will soon be built up to cause the sides of the cabinet to buckle. The leak in the outside cabinet surface must be located an completely sealed.

Most freezers provide a small opening through the inner lining, connecting the insulated area with the inside of the freezer cabinet. Since in freezers the temperature inside of the cabinet is much lower than the insulation temperature, any moisture will tend to escape through this small opening and condense on the evaporator surface.

Source:Modern refrigeration an air conditioning.
(Pretty old edition though.)