PDA

View Full Version : 240v mistral

jakabus
19-07-2010, 01:13 PM
The people that i live with have a mistral air conditioner but it doesn't work.

I am NEW to this industry and work in the transport area, but I thought I would give it a go at fixing and servising it.

Because i am so new i thought i had better ask about it first and get as much knowledge and feed back possible.

Will it be worth fixing? (il gain a broader knowledge) or just call someone and watch and pay the price? I am very nervous but excited and i aint spoke to them about it yet.

there is some sort of insultion on the discharg and sucction pipes, why is that? does it really need it?

im guessing the compressor is inside the condenser cover and the low and high side ports are found on the right hand side following up the pipes?

i have more questions then knowledge about the system.

HELP
THANKS

Brian_UK
19-07-2010, 10:06 PM
I take it that this unit is a portable cooler; model numbers always help to get better results to questions.

Yes there is insulation on pipes, if it didn't need it they wouldn't fit it.

Do you have your F-Gas certificate?

Don't expect to find service ports on small units.

paul_h
20-07-2010, 06:23 AM
The people that i live with have a mistral air conditioner but it doesn't work.

I am NEW to this industry and work in the transport area, but I thought I would give it a go at fixing and servising it.

Because i am so new i thought i had better ask about it first and get as much knowledge and feed back possible.

Will it be worth fixing? (il gain a broader knowledge) or just call someone and watch and pay the price? I am very nervous but excited and i aint spoke to them about it yet.

there is some sort of insultion on the discharg and sucction pipes, why is that? does it really need it?

im guessing the compressor is inside the condenser cover and the low and high side ports are found on the right hand side following up the pipes?

i have more questions then knowledge about the system.

HELP
THANKS

The liquid is insulated because the capillary or txv is in the outdoor unit too, so both pipes are part of the evaporator/indoor coil circuit. As such, you only get liquid pressure or LP or HP from either access valve. In fact it's pretty rare to get a access valve on the liquid line at all. Normally you just get the one access port on the larger line and it's LP in cool mode or HP in heat mode, can't get both at the same time with splits unless there's a schrader inside on the discharge or condenser.
With any luck you might just have a stuffed capacitor stopping the compressor running.
Otherwise the fault is going to be a leak, buggered compressor, broken electronics/electricals.