PDA

View Full Version : Playing With Fire

Argus
11-05-2005, 03:55 PM
It couldn?t happen here??Could it?

All the best theories can go wrong.

An experiment with HCs in a car to demonstrate safety resulted in injuries, prosecution and a damaged reputation down in Oz.

http://www.vasa.org.au/pdf/hydrocarbons/maclaine-cross.pdf

Argus
________
Hero CBZ (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Hero_Honda_CBZ)

rbartlett
11-05-2005, 05:39 PM
wouldn't have happened with 12

(they just would have died of phosgene inhalation -although it would have had to be been a bloody big match ;-))

cheers

richard

Karl Hofmann
12-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Too right it could happen here, I have seen folks on UK automotive websites advocating the use of HCs, and have encountered imports with HC refrigerant in their systems, this is a far larger problem in the US though. This is why I am so hard on JG oz.

If it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious. I always thought that an American would be the first to toast himself though.

OK Mate, shove another oz on the barby (Sorry folks)

Temprite
13-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Too right it could happen here, I have seen folks on UK automotive websites advocating the use of HCs, and have encountered imports with HC refrigerant in their systems, this is a far larger problem in the US though. This is why I am so hard on JG oz.

If it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious. I always thought that an American would be the first to toast himself though.

OK Mate, shove another oz on the barby (Sorry folks)

I'm with you Karl

Once worked on a bottle cabinet charged with ER12.Thought that I had removed all the refrigerant with nitrogen.When I applied the torch to do some welding a small flame started coming out of the end of the pipe.Stopped welding immediatly and purged with more nitrogen,eventually it was safe to work on.

Good refrigerant otherwise though.
PS (Easy on the Aussies).

Karl Hofmann
13-05-2005, 04:42 PM
LOL Sorry about that Temprite,it was a cheap shot I know. I understand that it is a good refrigerant, but the right refrigerant for the right application.

Imagine the conversation held just before they lit the match :D

Snowman123
13-05-2005, 06:32 PM
That will lead to a smoking ban in cars :eek: .

benijoseph
13-05-2005, 07:10 PM
:eek: dear friends,
If safe and quality methods are not used even iin
a kitchen HC can be dangerous , when house wifes and servants can use HC safely . why people like us are affraid of useing it , take all safety precautions . it is very
safe , I my self using it last one year NO problem . we can
only save our earth before it burns (due to *****).

Karl Hofmann
13-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes indeed, HCs are perfectly safe when transported, stored and used correctly.

In the UK only components, fittings and appliances tested and approved (They will all carry the appropriate British Standards/ Euro Norm number) are deemed safe to be used for gas, be it LPG or "Natural". Installers and fitters also must be deemed competent to work on gas installations. My question is who has tested and approved an automotive ac unit for use with combustable refrigerants, bearing in mind that amost all automotive ac units are made of aluminium with steel fittings and brackets, and are so designed to corrode. Also bear in mind that a moving vehicle is subject to conditions that will never be encountered in the average kitchen, IE a car moves in all directions and occasionally it also collides with othe vehicles.

If car manufacturers could make a decent quality system, then there would be no leakage of refrigerants (From auto ac) and so no need to address this particular problem