PDA

View Full Version : Is regassing ever a solution?

Crimson
12-07-2010, 09:01 AM
I have a Candy Fridge Freezer that is 1 year and 3 days old. In February I started having to turn it up to 5 (i.e. Max) to maintain a decent temperature. Candy came out and put in a new thermostat.

This worked for just over 4 months when same fault developed. Called them out again and put in another thermostat. That didn't work and they were out again today and decided that it needs regassing.

However having googled this looks like it could be a temporary solution. They have agreed that they will pay as although over 1 year old fault developed prior to 1 year being up but concerned regassing will be a temporary fix and that they will deny liability when it stops working.

Any thoughts? Also is regassing safe?

Thanks in advance.

Crimson

gregd1401
12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi Crimson
For your information, gas never wears out and if they are diagnosing problem as needing regassing, the initial gas charge has leaked out. Unless they are prepared to find and repair the leak your fridge will fail again. To just recharge a system without repairing the leak would be very irresponsible and not the correct attitude in respect of global warming.

Crimson
12-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi Crimson
For your information, gas never wears out and if they are diagnosing problem as needing regassing, the initial gas charge has leaked out. Unless they are prepared to find and repair the leak your fridge will fail again. To just recharge a system without repairing the leak would be very irresponsible and not the correct attitude in respect of global warming.

Thanks have to admit was what I was thinking but not an expert. Also the guy could see no signs of a leak which suggests that if it is a leak it is gradual thing which it then seems strange that the 'failure' was immediate rather than gradual.

Thanks for your reply.

Crimson

devlin maguire
12-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I was lead to believe that all refrigeration systems leak, but at 1 year old Naw, you should contact the supplier tell them you want a new fridge if they say no, a letter to trading standards with as much info as possible and send a copy to your local EHO tell the supplier of your intentions, I did this with a washing machine I took the letter I was going to post I let the store manager read it truck arrived next day with a new washer and I posted it anyway
Dev

casstrig
12-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Probably the problem if he could not find a leak could be a restriction such as a blocked filter drier,but you didn't mention any pressures.He should recover the refrigerant before carrying out this work if he is a reputable technician.

HotpointCarl
13-07-2010, 09:30 PM
r600a doesn't have to be recovered....re-gassing is a odd thing..Ive regassed 100s and very few have failed due to a internal leak,