PDA

View Full Version : 17th Ed

devlin maguire
11-07-2010, 01:23 PM
How is the 17th edition of the wiring regs affecting new and replacement installs, IE all final circuits must have RCD protection are we using a spare way in the consumer unit with an RCBO or are you taking the supply from the exisiting consumer unit into a seperate unit with a 30mA RCD and approprate MCB
Personally if theres a spare way I use that if not then the alterative I would like to see how this is tackled up and down the country
Dev

monkey spanners
11-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I tell the customer were i want isolators, whether they need to be 1ph or 3ph and the size and type of mcb i want supplying them, the rest is their chosen sparkys problem. Simples.

devlin maguire
11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
I have tried that in the past and only on one occasion was I consulted as the current demand usually I go back when it's ready to find that the cable(s) and protective device as completely over sized, usuall is 6mm T+E and a 40a MCB. I do It my self now even taking into account heaters fans solenoids and comp start up it's never going to reach the 39A for a cold room with 6 meter cable run that 6mm cable will provide
Dev

chilliwilly
11-07-2010, 10:27 PM
I thought the rcd/gfci protection applied to domestic/residential properties. And Commercial properties are treat differently, especially if the load isn't portable and is above a certain load value. I have heard there is an ammendment on the way that will have changes to the use of rcd/gfci's, it won't be before time neither. What a waste of technology they are.

ozbound
15-07-2010, 06:33 PM
check out the 17th edition regs book that will help with the cable calculations taking in to account how its run, distance, type of cable and current demand at the end. 40amp supply could work out to 10mm SWA or t&e.

Who do you get to certificate the new supply??????

Ozbound

chilliwilly
15-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I usually certify my own if requested, otherwise it just gets done and dusted with no fuss.