PDA

View Full Version : Rough price for installation back2back

back2space
11-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Hello everyone

Hope you are all well

Please could someone advise me how much to install a low wall system please.

My friend already has the kit and the unit is to go back to back in the conservatory so working at ground level, pipework is probably less than a meter.

He is wanting someone to install it on a weekend as a cash job, prob will only take a few hours to fit it really is a very simple job.

Power supply he is going to get sorted himself as wants to run off a 13amp plug inside.

He is in Leeds/Morley area in Gildersome.

Peter_1
11-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I shouldn't dare to ask this, you then can go to a bakery, give them all the ingredients and ask the baker to make a bread of these ingredients.

back2space
11-07-2010, 01:35 PM
I shouldn't dare to ask this, you then can go to a bakery, give them all the ingredients and ask the baker to make a bread of these ingredients.

I have no idea what your on about.

Peter_1
11-07-2010, 01:58 PM
IOW, if your friend bought himself th unit, he has to install it himself.

monkey spanners
11-07-2010, 02:07 PM
£350 with a tail light warranty :p

I think Peters point is that if customers take most if not all our means of making a living by providing everything that they can themselves, then we will not be in business much longer. Every one thinks you should make a living from someone else and not them....

I often think of asking farmers how much they would charge me to milk a cow if i brought it to them, i mean they've got all the machinery to do it anyway surely it wouldn't cost much :p

back2space
11-07-2010, 02:49 PM

I think Peters point is that if customers take most if not all our means of making a living by providing everything that they can themselves, then we will not be in business much longer. Every one thinks you should make a living from someone else and not them....

I often think of asking farmers how much they would charge me to milk a cow if i brought it to them, i mean they've got all the machinery to do it anyway surely it wouldn't cost much :p

I dont agree, I have got the equipment for him at cost price and now I just need someone to fit the unit for him now. Some guys like to make a quick £200 on a Saturday morning cash in hand.

monkey spanners
11-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I dont agree, I have got the equipment for him at cost price and now I just need someone to fit the unit for him now. Some guys like to make a quick £200 on a Saturday morning cash in hand.

Using their employers diesel, van and tools, pipe and materials not to mention tax issues?

Seems a bit morally wrong to me, I guess it depends on the principals you live by, on who you want to be.

Jon :)

back2space
11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Using their employers diesel, van and tools, pipe and materials not to mention tax issues?

Seems a bit morally wrong to me, I guess it depends on the principals you live by, on who you want to be.

Jon :)

That's not my problem though is it. Fr example last person I used for a job it was his own business so he used his own tools. I've also spoke to bosses before who didn't mind their lads doing a job in the side but they had to provide fuel and materials their self. Seems fair enough. If someone is willing to do it and use employers materials then that's nothing to do with me.

chillled
11-07-2010, 04:20 PM
i'll do it for £180 Pm me!! never mind bakers, tax, etc etc. Those who can do, those who can't whine on forums.

lomb
11-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Thats an unfair comparison, milk is very cheap for what it is, not everyone wants to pay 2000 for a 500 quid split.1500 is alot of money and there isnt any gaurantee where I am at least that they will be around in 2 1/2 years to warrant it. Having said that professionals need to be paid properly and Ive no problem with that.

The simple truth is the person receiving the money generally isnt the one fitting the unit and he hires the fastest cheapest engineer who probably wont care about the cleanliness of the install. How many units are fitted by 'pros' that have bits of armaflex circulating around them?

Peter_1
11-07-2010, 06:14 PM
If one of his employees is doing this as a side job, then he's working illegally because you need a certification as a person AND as a company.
If one of my employees should do this without asking me first, he will be fired immediately.
My experience is that some employees will buy the units but they don't need the copper, the nuts, the flare tools, the gas, the acetylene-torch ...ooh no, it's in their van where it's free and already paid.
I once send a special police force to one of my employees and they found +/-5000 £ of goods in his house which were mine.
I know you didn't ask to do this illegally but what if chilled drills the hole through a cable, of he miswires the unit and a PCB is broken. Who will pay the spareparts?
Or their's a fault - a DOA - who will take care of changing the units?
What about warranty? What if the unit arrives without gason it?
Who will search the leak in the unit and who will pay for this?

You have your vision, I have mine but I will never install a unit someone else has bought and especially not if they have bought it on the internet.
If you want cheap prices, then a certified contractor can offer you these also.

You always will find peoples who will do this kind of jobs for a basket of apples in a weather where you even don't know who to serve first. It makes you think how it comes some have all the time now without pointing to someone now.

back2space
12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
The unit will be bought from a company that offers great customer service and we have had no problems in the past.

glenn1340
12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I do jobs on the side, in fact I`ve got more than I can handle at the moment BUT I have all my own equipment, bought by me not my boss, I buy all my own materials and gas etc and I`ve bought my own van. I also have public liability insurance up to two million pounds. I`ve got piles of receipts to prove it too
I gave up using the my employers gear as the worry of being found out wasn`t worth it. If he finds out he`ll have the hump big time but he won`t be able to accuse me of stealing company property. Also the due to fact that our main field is air compressors he can`t say I`ve been taking his customers, although emplyee loyalty can be brought into play I suppose.

weidit
12-07-2010, 07:43 PM
I live to far away and am to busy. But out of curiosity what make is the unit?

back2space
12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I live to far away and am to busy. But out of curiosity what make is the unit?

LG, and yes ive ranted on about LG previously however the issue isnt with LG more so their aftersales and the installing engineer who went bankrupt owing loads of money plus the many engineers in between who all managed to bugger it up even further!

LG unit in a conservatory, nothing fancy just a back to back split. Nothing complicated and should do the trick the unit is only to be used for heating.

lomb
12-07-2010, 10:13 PM
How many KW is it out of interest and what was the cost?
Do LG have cut outs for low gas these days? Wasnt that the big problem with them if theres a leak the compressor burns out?

back2space
13-07-2010, 09:41 AM
How many KW is it out of interest and what was the cost?
Do LG have cut outs for low gas these days? Wasnt that the big problem with them if theres a leak the compressor burns out?

3.5kw of cooling 3.9kw of heating.

Cost of unit is about £900 for a low floor mount unit, the wall mounted one was about £400 cheaper but they dont want pipework running across the wall which is what would be needed for the position of the wall mount.

Peter_1
13-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I do jobs on the side, in fact I`ve got more than I can handle at the moment BUT I have all my own equipment, bought by me not my boss, I buy all my own materials and gas etc and I`ve bought my own van. I also have public liability insurance up to two million pounds. I`ve got piles of receipts to prove it too
I gave up using the my employers gear as the worry of being found out wasn`t worth it. If he finds out he`ll have the hump big time but he won`t be able to accuse me of stealing company property. Also the due to fact that our main field is air compressors he can`t say I`ve been taking his customers, although emplyee loyalty can be brought into play I suppose.
You're taking you job seriously Glen, even as a side job, like it should be done by all the others. I suppose this is also why you have a lot of work.

mad fridgie
13-07-2010, 11:11 PM
I am a freelance Tax Inspector!
"YOUR KNICKED"
Cash is cash, and the black econermy, is part of life, right or wrong, it should not be spouted about on public forum, you are looking to be investigated.
Those who pay cash (under the table), take the risk with warranties.
Just like having a punt at the bookies.
Saying that I was thinking of changing mt name to
Charlie ASH lol

centrecipew
14-07-2010, 07:50 PM
LG- Check the MInimum pipe lengths for this unit.
I Thought that there had to be a minimum of 5m for their units.
I have installed a few in conservatorys, have you done your heatload Calcs. 3,5Kw seems a bit small!!
Good Luck

back2space
14-07-2010, 08:05 PM
LG- Check the MInimum pipe lengths for this unit.
I Thought that there had to be a minimum of 5m for their units.
I have installed a few in conservatorys, have you done your heatload Calcs. 3,5Kw seems a bit small!!
Good Luck

My lg unit has a 2mtr pipework run I think they do specify 5 metres but not sure why as it runs ok on 2.

3.9kw of heating output, the unit is mainly for heating they will open the doors in summer plus there is a ceiling fan and the roof is plastic rather than glass.

The doors are nearlly the width of the conservatory.

They were using a 2 kw fan heater before which just about heated it up, im sure another 2kws will do it perfectly as the space isnt that big.

brunstar
14-07-2010, 11:10 PM
My lg unit has a 2mtr pipework run I think they do specify 5 metres but not sure why as it runs ok on 2.

3.9kw of heating output, the unit is mainly for heating they will open the doors in summer plus there is a ceiling fan and the roof is plastic rather than glass.

The doors are nearlly the width of the conservatory.

They were using a 2 kw fan heater before which just about heated it up, im sure another 2kws will do it perfectly as the space isnt that big.

yes they have minimum pipe runs for reasons!!!
the compressor can only pump liquid for so long so if you are looking for a cheap install and a short lived air con unit install it with a pipe run less than the specified min requirement..

back2space
14-07-2010, 11:39 PM
yes they have minimum pipe runs for reasons!!!
the compressor can only pump liquid for so long so if you are looking for a cheap install and a short lived air con unit install it with a pipe run less than the specified min requirement..

I think its just short of 3 metres of pipework to one of the units. If the refrigerant was getting too cold and had not turned back into a liquid then surely the compressor would back off?

glenn1340
15-07-2010, 05:56 PM
I am a freelance Tax Inspector!
"YOUR KNICKED"
Cash is cash, and the black econermy, is part of life, right or wrong, it should not be spouted about on public forum, you are looking to be investigated.
Those who pay cash (under the table), take the risk with warranties.
Just like having a punt at the bookies.
Saying that I was thinking of changing mt name to
Charlie ASH lol

All my work is paid for via an invoice, I wish could be paid cash sometimes (and let`s face it I don`t think there`s anyone who`d turn down a few qiud in his sky rocket) but any job that amounts to decent money is always by cheque (that`s when they eventually decide to pay up but that`s another matter).
I`ve kept everyone on of my receipts so if the taxman wants his share of my hard earned cash (and I mean hard earned as most of my holidays, weekends and late nights are spent working for a decent retirement) he can come and have a poke around.

back2space
15-07-2010, 06:17 PM
its all getting a bit out of hand, all I asked for was a rough price for someone on a saturday as a favour so to speak to fit this unit for me cash.

That doesnt need to go through the books as its someone doing a favour and not operating it as a business.

Loads of people do it, plumbers all sorts.

My decorator painted a room in my house for me I gave him cash cos he did it at the weekend out of his own time.

frank
15-07-2010, 07:58 PM
That doesnt need to go through the books as its someone doing a favour and not operating it as a business.

Loads of people do it, plumbers all sorts.

My decorator painted a room in my house for me I gave him cash cos he did it at the weekend out of his own time.
Cash for a job is not a problem for the guy paying in cash. The guy doing the job doesn't really have a problem accepting the cash, as long as he declares the cash payment on his tax return, and then pays a percentage over to the taxman.

In reallity, the price for the job should include this percentage paid over, but, com'n, who declares it?

If you go out for a meal and leave a tip for the waitress, the waitress should declare this in her tax return, but.............:D

r0ss
15-07-2010, 08:00 PM
All saints and no sinners on this forum, huh?

Every AC engineer/electrician/plumber/decorator/mechanic/chippy/builder i know all do private jobs... for...cash *shock*.

You take what you can get - even more so in this current economical climate.

This is a case of taking the moral high ground to the extreme in my opinion.

mad fridgie
16-07-2010, 04:39 AM
I think you misunderstand my point, Cash jobs, Perks, under the table, are just that "are to be kept under the table" "Quiet".
Everybody needs money nowadays, especially the government. The taxmen DO check these types of sites.
You earn it, you should pay tax on it!!!
Of course I DO NOT do cash jobs, because I am an ANGEL and my Shyte does not stink.

back2space
16-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Dear sir,

I want to know how large the machine is? How many kgs of ice does it produce every day?

It is really easy to install the machine but i am not in ur place;

I think you can do it according to manual;

200 euros is expensive and can even buy some small ice makers from us;

Lisa, an ice machines sales girl from China.

Ice machine? Who mentioned ice machine? SPAM!

frank
16-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Post deleted now.

But I expect some member will have a comment regarding this. (Mod bashing :D)

mad fridgie
17-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Post deleted now.

But I expect some member will have a comment regarding this. (Mod bashing :D)
When i was a boy, I was rocker, so enjoyed a bit of
"Mod bashing" Down at the prom at Morecambe.
Frank do you ride a Scooter??? (or should i call it a hair drier):D

frank
17-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I used to in the Sixties - a Lambretta 250 :D

Makeit go Right
18-07-2010, 02:34 AM
All I asked for was a rough price for someone to fit this unit for cash. That doesn't need to go through the books, as its someone doing a favour and not operating it as a business.

As mentioned above, the install person needs to be a REFCOM-registered business, so it has to go via their business. [Well, we assume the installer has a legal business, ie registered to install -- not all have done so. (And hopefully passed a Safe Handling Assessment too)]

Oh, what about Public Liability insurance? Presumably the engineer will carry out this 'not through the books favour-install' with no insurance cover, which would be quite an issue if someone gets injured. Who will bear that?

I got the equipment for him at cost price…from a company that offers great customer service and we have had no problems in the past.

You ordering the kit for a friend presumably means you used your employers hard-earned business/trade discount and kidded the distributor that it is for your employer's business activities, when it is actually going straight to your end-user-pal as your private favour to him. Sounds a bit dishonest towards the distributor and possibly also your employer. Most distributors will not deal directly with public/end-users, so that's a bit messy; especially if/when you have to sort out warranty issues (on your employer's time, I guess).

The pricing: If I was asked, I would charge about £1000 for the labour and materials with free issue kit.....made up of some materials/tools, some labour, some more for it being an LG system, something for my output Vat (putting it through my books), overheads, and then I'd add a chunk for dealing with someone who is a bit dishonest and therefore untrustworthy. Payment up front, too, of course.

They want it cheaper than the job should cost, with you defrauding your Returns to the HMRC. And then they put on the squeeze by threatening to report it to the HMRC inspectors. Why put your head in their noose to save them cash?

Someone who wants you to do it for cash, saying 'not through the books' is not honest, and they will normally try and cheat on their promise too, somehow.

I’ve ranted on about LG previously however the issue isn’t with LG, more so their aftersales and the installing engineer who went bankrupt owing loads of money plus the many engineers in between who all managed to bugger it up even further!

And their jobs normally seem to have strange problems too.

So, I tend to beef up the price so they go elsewhere. Much better to deal with the more honest people.

back2space
18-07-2010, 08:11 AM
then I'd add a chunk for dealing with someone who is a bit dishonest and therefore untrustworthy. Payment up front, too, of course.

Much better to deal with the more honest people.

Not sure what your points are there mate but £1000 to install a unit back to back with no fuss etc is extortion.

Also why would I be dishonest and untrustworthy? How can you say that you dont even know me.

exotiic
18-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Not sure what your points are there mate but £1000 to install a unit back to back with no fuss etc is extortion.

I believe that is the point he is trying to make, that its a ridiculous amount that would force you to say no and if you were silly enough to say yes he would make it worth his while and take you for granted.

paul_h
20-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi, worldwide forum that a lot of people read and a lot of people know who is behind most nick names!
Please say you'll do a weekend cash for my friend on the cheap?

No offence, but that's why you got the smart alec responses.
A cash job is not something to talk about publicly sorry, even though I'm not even in the position to do it at all, I'm just saying that you crossed some boundaries hence the negative responses.
Also, telling people how to do their job and what it should cost is wrong too, eg saying that even though your system is below the minimum pipe length as it's 2m, so this one that is 1m should work OK as well is wrong.

I will say that starting a thread like this can be successful, just post it and don't make any replies, answer any posts, justify it or anything, just wait for a PM from someone willing to do it or let the thread die. For reasons I mentioned before, anyone interested in it should not post in the thread if they are interested, but send a PM, so there's no reason to post anything extra in the thread yourself. So no need to debate the issue or defend your idea, just post it and wait for any PM.

Also anyone willing to do it, should have their own vehicle with no company name on it and operate fully anonymously, no reason to lose your job over some cheapskate cash paying customer that demands perfection for peanuts and threatens your job over it. If the unit is customer bought and on site, no need for a van anyway, everything to install such a short pipe run unit can fit in a car.

No way would I stand behind a job that had the customer choose the a/c size, pipe length, install location and electrical supply on a budget, so not worth the risk :D
Tail light warranty, I like that.

edit: BTW I'm, not trying to be condescending, I do this type of job all the time taxed, invoiced and done correctly for $350* which is about £200, just trying to explain why these types of normally happy to help friendly posters aren't being that helpful here.
The electrican is normally there as well, changing $250-350 for the circuit too, I'm not licenced to do that part but I insist on the part being done right by someone I trust.

tonyhavcr
20-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi, worldwide forum that a lot of people read and a lot of people know who is behind most nick names!
Please say you'll do a weekend cash for my friend on the cheap?

No offence, but that's why you got the smart alec responses.
A cash job is not something to talk about publicly sorry, even though I'm not even in the position to do it at all, I'm just saying that you crossed some boundaries hence the negative responses.
Also, telling people how to do their job and what it should cost is wrong too, eg saying that even though your system is below the minimum pipe length as it's 2m, so this one that is 1m should work OK as well is wrong.

I will say that starting a thread like this can be successful, just post it and don't make any replies, answer any posts, justify it or anything, just wait for a PM from someone willing to do it or let the thread die. For reasons I mentioned before, anyone interested in it should not post in the thread if they are interested, but send a PM, so there's no reason to post anything extra in the thread yourself. So no need to debate the issue or defend your idea, just post it and wait for any PM.

Also anyone willing to do it, should have their own vehicle with no company name on it and operate fully anonymously, no reason to lose your job over some cheapskate cash paying customer that demands perfection for peanuts and threatens your job over it. If the unit is customer bought and on site, no need for a van anyway, everything to install such a short pipe run unit can fit in a car.

No way would I stand behind a job that had the customer choose the a/c size, pipe length, install location and electrical supply on a budget, so not worth the risk :D
Tail light warranty, I like that.

edit: BTW I'm, not trying to be condescending, I do this type of job all the time taxed, invoiced and done correctly for $350* which is about £200, just trying to explain why these types of normally happy to help friendly posters aren't being that helpful here.
The electrican is normally there as well, changing $250-350 for the circuit too, I'm not licenced to do that part but I insist on the part being done right by someone I trust.

Wow Great post No way would I stand behind a job that had the customer choose the a/c size, pipe length, install location and electrical supply on a budget, so not worth the risk :D

back2space
20-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi Paul

I understand some of your points but there is nothing wrong in asking someone if they want to do a job if its in their own time and not works time. COuld be a weekend odd job so to speak, come on who doesnt do it.

I have had a few responses via PM so will be arranging something soon once my friend purchases the unit.

I havent specified pipe lengths but having an LG unit myself which has one unit on a pipe run of 2 metres the unit has worked fine for the last 3 years perfectly fine.

LG do specify a 5 metre pipe run minimum but I have also been told that the unit would be fine at 2metres.

You mention you wouldnt let a customer choose the A/C size or install location.

Given that I work in A/C myself in a facilities management based environment I am more than capable of specifying a system size and location of equipment to be installed for a friend if this would save him money. If it was your friend would you do the same?

Me specifying the rough cost of installation I do not find there is anything wrong with that, this is a guide that is on another well known uk forum www.moneysavingexpert.com (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com)

I think A/C engineers need to get out of the idea of doing the whole designing of the system it is not a hard job to work out the size of the system or if you want to buy the equipment yourself.

If you dont want to do it then you shouldnt have replied really as I wasnt asking for those sort of posts... there is always someone who will do the job some good some bad as there is always someone who will do the full design and install badly and some who will do it great.

You guys need to cater for other areas of the market.

For example I had a friend who bought his own gas boiler and got a gas fitter in to install it, he saved a fortune this way by just using is nogging just for a bit of searching on the internet etc and why shouldnt he.

The guy who installed still earnt a decent bit of money for the day and it was put through the books as he got receipt and "his work" was warrantied for 12 months, however the boiler was held with the company he bought the boiler from.

Its as bad as saying you would only service equipment that has been installed by you, you cant have that attitude as there will always be someone who will be grateful of the work... come on you must see I have a point.

I have a friend who charges £200 a day for his labour for installation etc then materials/parts on top. He runs his business honestly however is not in my area to be able to do the install for me. He is more than happy if customers want him to fit their own equipment. He does specify though that his work i.e the actual labour he has done is warrantied for 12 months and the equipment is not his issue and most people are happy with that.

I am sorry if some people have been offended by my request but I dont think I have been out of order by being direct with what I am wanting to do.

For example if a customer bought a b&q unit would you decline to install it for them based on the fact its b&q and they bought it themself? Fine if you do but there will always be someone that makes money from those that say no.

back2space
20-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Wow Great post No way would I stand behind a job that had the customer choose the a/c size, pipe length, install location and electrical supply on a budget, so not worth the risk :D

In all honesty though why are you responding if you wouldnt do it?

The request was for someone who would like to do the job not asking "would you or wouldnt you?" I am more than able to specify the equipment, location and power supply for a friend if this will save him money.

back2space
20-07-2010, 12:26 PM

My understanding of inverters is they monitor evaporating and condensing temperatures so if there was too much liquid then this would reflect in the evaporating and condensing temperatures so compressor would reduce speed and not pump as hard in order for it to turn back to gas.

Same example could be used for high and low fan speed, the compressor not work as hard at lower fan speed or if filters are blocked etc as it would sense the evaporating and condensing temperatures.

paul_h
20-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi Paul

I understand some of your points but there is nothing wrong in asking someone if they want to do a job if its in their own time and not works time. COuld be a weekend odd job so to speak, come on who doesnt do it.

I have had a few responses via PM so will be arranging something soon once my friend purchases the unit.
I haven't said anything against that aspect. Like I said, nothing wrong with the request, just leave it to PMs and don;t try to debate the issue.
The guy who takes on the job reserves the right to sort out the details, you don't need to reply to posts in the thread to justify anything.
but it's fair enough to cop flack in the public arena from usually helpful people, and the effect you wanted (PMs) would have happened whether you debated the issue and points in this thread or not.
I have no idea why you seems to want to take issue with my post and argue over points, I was just giving helpful tips to anyone reading on how to handle such a request ;)
I wasn't criticizing you, just trying to explain why no one else was playing nice. I was just trying to explain how to go about it better. No need to attack my work ethics or insult my intelligence.
I would never agree to a dirt cheap install as an employee for some company using their, van even after hours. It's called being rewarded for risk.
I would never agree to a dirt cheap cash install as someone self employed unless I looked at the job closely. I've been sucked in a few times with deceptively simple jobs that ended up pear shaped due to the fact the customer had no idea how big a task they are asking (lintels, rock, stupid places where a o/u would never work). But I never mentioned that in my first post, just a gentle suggestion that when asking such things do it more quietly, and for anyone taking such jobs, do it carefully.
And instead of letting that slide, I now get told by you I shouldn't dare to have spoken such words. :lol: Even though I didn;t say the same to you, just tried to explain the situation a bit.

back2space
20-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I haven't said anything against that aspect. Like I said, nothing wrong with the request, just leave it to PMs and don;t try to debate the issue.
The guy who takes on the job reserves the right to sort out the details, you don't need to reply to posts in the thread to justify anything.
but it's fair enough to cop flack in the public arena from usually helpful people, and the effect you wanted (PMs) would have happened whether you debated the issue and points in this thread or not.
I have no idea why you seems to want to take issue with my post and argue over points, I was just giving helpful tips to anyone reading on how to handle such a request ;)

Im sorry Paul I may have taken what you wrote in the wrong way. Its hard to tell someones tone of voice over a forum I guess.

Thank you for your points though :)

paul_h
20-07-2010, 01:02 PM
My understanding of inverters is they monitor evaporating and condensing temperatures so if there was too much liquid then this would reflect in the evaporating and condensing temperatures so compressor would reduce speed and not pump as hard in order for it to turn back to gas.

Same example could be used for high and low fan speed, the compressor not work as hard at lower fan speed or if filters are blocked etc as it would sense the evaporating and condensing temperatures.
And then the owner would call up and say they unit isn't cooling effectively enough, you realise that you don't get something for nothing. If the system has to nurse itself you lose capacity.
Also, much much worse for heating. The indoor coil is smaller, so on heat mode it's already unbalanced. Add a short pipe length and the system just slows done or shuts of the outdoor fan. Mucho mucho icing of the outdoor coil, defrost cycles, noisy refrigerant flow indoors and capacity lost.

back2space
20-07-2010, 03:01 PM
And then the owner would call up and say they unit isn't cooling effectively enough, you realise that you don't get something for nothing. If the system has to nurse itself you lose capacity.
Also, much much worse for heating. The indoor coil is smaller, so on heat mode it's already unbalanced. Add a short pipe length and the system just slows done or shuts of the outdoor fan. Mucho mucho icing of the outdoor coil, defrost cycles, noisy refrigerant flow indoors and capacity lost.

Hi Paul

I guess my system is operating ok, heats fine, its only 1 unit out of the 3 that has the short run the other ones have an 22 meter pipe run and a 16 meter pipe run but the lounge unit which is the short one (just measured and it is 2.8metres exactly)

There was no other way round it, the outdoor unit could not be mounted anywhere else.

Imp
23-07-2010, 10:44 AM
If the installer purchases the unit and it does not work then you are covered by warranty. The installer will come out, inspect the unit, make a diagnosis and handle any potential warranty issues for you directly with the manufacturer.
If you pay cash for an installer to fit it and you have an electronics failure some time down the line you will have to pay for somebody to come out and inspect it. You cant expect the installer to do this for nothing as you have taken the contractual obligation away by purchasing the unit direct.
Selling direct is not a big issue. Mitsubishi and Daikin do it on a daily basis on a much larger scale with the likes of M&S, Next etc etc. However, they also manage the installer side by ensuring that all engineers involved are fully qualified hence the accreditation schemes.
Your best bet would be to contact your supplier direct and ask them to recommend a couple of installers in your area who are trustworthy and professional and who dont mind getting involved. This way you are allowing them to manage the situation.
Personally I dont sell direct to end users who are not engineers unless it is project driven and managed correctly as per the above. When there is a warranty everyone throws their toys out of their pram and points at each other for a couple of days thus wasting time and money. This is why it is always better to get someone you know and trust to buy the kit.
Why don't you do this in the future? Let your trusted installer mark the kit up by 20%, get most of that back by hammering out an install cost and everyones covered.

lomb
23-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Or buy a reliable make(possibly not LG) and take a gamble. Someone here I think reported 1 in 200 MHI units failing over a 3 year period.
Installed correctly on a clean power supply with a good neutral, clean pipes, correct lengths, no joins and correctly flared or brazed with nitrogen there isnt any reason a unit should fail in the warranty period is there?