PDA

View Full Version : Isn't This Heatwave Awful!

Grizzly
09-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Nah!
If this is Global warming long may it continue!
With customers 4 or 5 weeks ago refusing to carry out anything other than essential repairs / maintenance.
I cannot speak for anyone else, but things were looking grim.
The continually increasing heat load on operational plant has been a real bonus.
Now we are busy and being approached by customers who have previously let there maintenance contracts lapse, wanting to re-new them.
Hopefully everyone is noticing the same.
Grizzly

james10
09-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Couldn't agree more Grizzly, those repairs they didn't want to pay for have jumped up and bit them in the rear
back to 12 hour days:D

Brian_UK
09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Only draw-back is the location of the kit.

Working on a roof today that had been recovered last year with that nice shiny silver coating. Talk about reflective heat energy.

Even my sunglasses weren't up to it.;)

monkey spanners
09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Just got back in from a panic call, milk at 27C units cycling in and out.

Found condensers full of dirt and the oil from the milking pump exhaust, fan motors off, wash out coils, clean gaurds, clean fan blades. Got another one not cooling booked in for first thing tomorrow.

I was only thinking today how nothing seemed to be going wrong despite the warm weather....

multisync
10-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Just got back in from a panic call, milk at 27C units cycling in and out.

Found condensers full of dirt and the oil from the milking pump exhaust, fan motors off, wash out coils, clean gaurds, clean fan blades. Got another one not cooling booked in for first thing tomorrow.

I was only thinking today how nothing seemed to be going wrong despite the warm weather....

It certainly doesn't seem as busy as it should...:mad:

gregd1401
10-07-2010, 07:18 AM
What do you guys in U.K. define as a heatwave?

multisync
10-07-2010, 08:00 AM

A heat wave is a prolonged period of excessively hot weather

james10
10-07-2010, 08:47 AM
More than 24hours without it raining:D

Yuri B.
10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
:DAnd Britain "More than 24hours without it raining": smth unheard about - an unimaginable nonsense.

gregd1401
10-07-2010, 09:43 AM
What temperatures have you guys been copping?

chemi-cool
10-07-2010, 10:23 AM
25°C I guess......

cadwaladr
10-07-2010, 11:46 PM
worked on some plant the other day took readings ,on condensor 36degrees c/off condensor 45 c,there was no breeze had to resort to cooling condensors with good old h2o,this plant was outside by the way,problem is now we have a hosepipe ban in my area £1000 fine yeah right if i have 1500 pallets of ice cream melting sue me!!!!!!!!!!!!

lawrence1
10-07-2010, 11:58 PM
25°C are you serious???

Grizzly
11-07-2010, 08:18 AM
At Present we (The U.K.) and I assume Ireland?
Have had probably 6 or seven weeks of beautiful weather as I said before.
And yes compared with most others on this forum an average of say 25c is nothing.
We are now starting to nudge to-wards 30c on average.
In the U.K. there is still a huge amount of aged equipment designed to
condense at 30 - 35c.
So I suppose for say Australia you would compare temps at what? 40 - 45c?

I don't know many complaining mind.
I was called to look at an Ammonia plant that was struggling to cope (Dairy).
When I pointed out that everything was "running Hotter than usual".
No-one argue especially as the Production Manager disappeared then came back. Saying that he had just measured a bag of Whey Powder from the store and it was 26c.
They then started to understand that nothing is cooling down.
So for us it's not the high temps so much as the hot nights as well.
Personally I love it.
Got called out again Yesterday - Brilliant.
Grizzly

monkey spanners
11-07-2010, 11:52 AM
First job yesterday was a dirty condenser, it was wall mounted below the cattle cake (pellet food that cows eat during milking) food bin so gets cake dust on it when it blown into the silo, and next to the exit door to the parlour so it get cow sh1t dust in it for good measure too.
Fans off, enviro coil and wash out with the volume washer they use for hosing down after milking.
Second one was a busted flare on the liquid line off the unit, made a new one up with a loop in the pipe just incase it was a vibration issue that caused it to go first time.
Third one was a manual reset hp, customer had already hosed out the condenser so that was a quick one!

Could do with being a bit hotter though :D

Jon