PDA

View Full Version : planning to work in spain advice required

frosty74
06-05-2005, 02:11 PM
i am planning to go to spain torreveiga costa blanca in summer 2006 to live and work i work in manchester at present on commercial refrigeration & air con mainly service i have 5 years experience and city&guilds 2078 refrigerant handling certificate if anybody is working and living in spain who can advise me on any further qualifications i need to get to be employable in spain i would be very grateful cheers? :)

rbartlett
06-05-2005, 04:13 PM
I presume you are can speak Spanish fluently??

If so I would have thought google spain is the way forward...

however contact some of the job agencies as they may have an oversea's branch.

also try http://www.britishexpats.com

for info regarding living/working in Spain

cheers

richard

frosty74
06-05-2005, 06:41 PM
richard
thankyou very much for your reply your advice is very much appreciated

Abe
06-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Frosty

Theres a guy I know whos father set up in Spain ( Malaga area)
You dont need to know English there..........all his customers are English people in the leisure industries.....

Work..............He cant keep up........
And the rates equate to UK rates

rbartlett
07-05-2005, 07:20 AM
the english this is interesting

whilst his customers are english i would expect his suppliers to be spanish.

how does he pop in to climatica centa and ask for anything other than dos cerveza ??

cheers

richard

halwaya
07-05-2005, 08:05 AM
that makes work amusing ;)

but seriously I think it is good to search for some online job offers.. I was looking for me (in poland and abroad) - but employers seem to avoid girls :(

try these links (maybe that would be any help) :

http://www.spanish-living.com/jobs_offers.htm
http://www.goinglobal.com/countries/spain/spain_work.asp
http://overseasdigest.com/country/Spain.htm

chemi-cool
07-05-2005, 08:16 AM
I'll have to agree on that one.

Lingo = communication.

Take this forum for example, we communicate in one language, but we come from all over the world.

If each one would write in his language, no one would understand.
Remember the story of the Tower of Babilon?

Chemi :)

Abe
07-05-2005, 10:27 AM
191 000 Brits left UK last year to live abroad

Bulk of them to France and Spain
Language should not be a " major" problem
We humans are good at adapting

I would think anyone wanting to go live in Spain would enroll for spanish classes the minute they arrive

But saying that, you cannot , not survive not having a grasp of it !!

Karl Hofmann
07-05-2005, 01:57 PM
And of course that if you speak German, then you can increase your customer base considerably, a lot of Krauts are doing a runner to Spain also. We thought of clearing off to Spain also, my sister inlaw is selling her house and of live in Spain, no plan, just a damned good adventure

chemi-cool
07-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi Karl,

Looks like prices of property will go down in the Uk now that every one is off to Spain :D

Will take it into cosideration for my next visit to England.

rbartlett
07-05-2005, 05:04 PM
spain is heading down as is australia and also america too..

the uk is teetering on the edge of a house price 'correction' too which send us into a major recession and not very pleasent time for all concerned...

cheers

richard

Abe
07-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Hi Karl,

Looks like prices of property will go down in the Uk now that every one is off to Spain :D

Will take it into cosideration for my next visit to England.

Chem, dont be in such haste my good freind, for every Brit leaving their are 2 refugees replacing !!!! :D

When I was in London the other day in the tube, I played a quizz to stave off the boredom, trying to figure out the foreign tongues all been spoken

Take your pick, there were Polish builders, pretty French students, rough looking East Europeans, gold toothed Arabs, African nurses, South American tranvestites, Brazillian prostitutes.........ahem, and Football players!!!!

Not a proper english accent within earshot!!! Perhaps I was in the wrong carriage or wrong part of the tube system !!!!
He heee

Yes, we live in a different age.......

I thought rural Leicester had not succombed to this melting influx...........was I wrong, these days I know exactly which parts of cities are colonised by which migrants.........

We even have our version of Mogadishu here!!!

Dont get me wrong guys, Im only showing you the canvas , so when my freind from damp wet Manchester gets to his sunny nirvana, who knows, he may just hear the welcoming tones of . Hey its hot innit !!!!

:) :)

halwaya
07-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Nowadays people are going whenever there is work..
I am going to come to England.. or Ireland.. :rolleyes:

Karl Hofmann
08-05-2005, 09:00 AM
LOL the very thought of moving to Spain and being surrounded by whinging Brits complaining about the heat, the water, the Spanish etc is partly what holds us back, though I would endeavour to live away from the English Ghettos.

I have noticed a lot of Polish registered cars here in Crewe, but we do have a large Polish community that settled during the war and have realatives who have come from Poland seeking a better life. Many of the original immigrants worked in the Rolls Royce factory building armaments and decided to stay put after Russia claimed Poland

Abe
08-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Thats what the EC is all about Halwaya, free movement of labour, and if the work is here in UK, why not ??

Just nearby where I live , the new Polish cultural and community centre has just been completed. It has come out really good and serving the Polish community.

I think the same may be true of other cities. So , what you got to lose Hal.............get cracking looking up those jobs in the Jobs section !!!

Good luck

rbartlett
08-05-2005, 11:11 AM
that's of course assuming that the british economy will continue to rise..

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8209-1600250,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2005/05/08/ccecag08.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2005/05/08/ixcoms.html

http://www.money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2005/05/08/cnhigh08.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2005/05/08/ixfrontcity.html

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/story.jsp?story=636322

http://business.scotsman.com/retail.cfm?id=487782005

the last time i was in a start-up small company situation was 1987 -just ahead of the start of that recession

DOH!!

with all the money pouring into Poland via the EU-if you've wondered where your EU tax money goes look at the major road expansion recently

I would stay esp considering the skill 'brain drain' Poland has had with those with skills to sell leaving poland as fast as their little polonez would carry them!!

cheers

richard

cheers

richard

Karl Hofmann
08-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Thats what the EC is all about Halwaya, free movement of labour, and if the work is here in UK, why not ??

Just nearby where I live , the new Polish cultural and community centre has just been completed. It has come out really good and serving the Polish community.

I think the same may be true of other cities. So , what you got to lose Hal.............get cracking looking up those jobs in the Jobs section !!!

Good luck

Got to agree with Abe there, after all in a few years time when the economy in Poland improves, some of us may find ourselves there.

Good luck Hal

PS If I do find you undercutting my prices, lady or not I'll still let the tyres down on your van! :eek: :D I believe in equality :p

halwaya
11-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Thank you Aiyub and Richard :)
Hehe Karl.. I think i won't jeopardize your business..

I find it hard to get the job in my field as I have no experience..
(and plus I am a girl) I've applied for some physical work in UK :>
Maybe I will be lucky to find something better when I settle there.

frank
11-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Hi Guys

just got back today from a week in the Costa sun at Torrox Costa. About 50k's north of Malaga. :)

While I was there sampling a few of the local brews I took time to look into the local AC market - what a let down. Straight forward split install offered for 449 Euros :eek: - how can anyone make a living at those prices. A lot of it is the old R22 kit but - working in that heat for so little reward - forget it :D

The whole work ethic is really different from the UK, and they drive on the wrong side of the road :eek: :D

klimek
11-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Cze Halwaya!!!
Moze powinnas Halwaya sprobowc szukac pracy jako "trainee position". Nieplaca nalepiej(jakies czternascie tys./rocznie), ale najwazniejsze jest zalapac kontakt i obyc sie z jezykiem). Szkoda skonczyc jako kelnerka, gary albo miotla itp. po studiach (spotkalem w Londku troche osob po studiach, ktorzy wykonuja najprostrze prace). Chyba jest lepiej nagrac prace przed przyjazdem przez neta-jest masa stron internetowych. Ja pracauje juz rok w Anglii (robote znalazlem przez neta), z ryskiem (kolesiem, ktory wlasnie Ci doradzal, zeby nie jechac(nie pisze jego imienia po ang. bo pomysli ze go obgaduje)). Robota jest spoko, troche sie znudzila, zaczynam szukac pracy w projektowaniu.

Powodzenia

"If each one would write in his language, no one would understand."-You are spot-on Chemi :D

halwaya
13-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Sorry i reply in polish.. but well.. ;)

Witaj klimek :)
Dzięki za porady.. ja póki co 'nagrałam' sobie fizyczną i mało ambitną pracę w Anglii będąc jeszcze tutaj.. Wybrałam sobie zmianę nocną - więc nie będzie problemu, by w dzień na spokojnie latać i szukać czegoś lepszego. Mój aktualny pracodawca póki co zajmuje się wszystkim (od założenia rachunku w banku po wynajęcie mi mieszkania). Myślę, że to lepsze rozwiązanie niż wypad 'w ciemno' - bo ja niestety lubię wiedzieć na czym stoję.

Cieszę się, że udało Ci się znaleźć pracę w zawodzie - ja miałam z tym problem (zwłaszcza, że nie miałam znajomości w odpowiednich miejscach) - nawet nie było możliwości 'odrobienia' stażu odpowiadającego mojemu wykształceniu - i tak wylądowałam robiąc za seketarkę w administracji rządowej (nudy, nudy, nudy).

Myślę, że jak oswoję się z nowym miejscem.. to wówczas spróbuję trochę powalczyć o lepszy byt ;)

Życzę Tobie powodzenia w polowaniu na wymarzoną pracę i dziękuję za pomoc :)

Pozdrawiam
Dana vel halwaya

Karl Hofmann
13-05-2005, 10:54 AM
The nice thing about the English language is that there is a lot of commonality with German, French and Spanish so that even if you do not speak the language, you can pick out key words and figure out what is said. I could not pick out a single common word in those Polish posts, and fear that if I were to try to pronounce some of those words, I would end up needing a doctor ;)

We have friends who although are Austrian, come from Argentina. We have been teaching them English, and they have been teaching us Spanish through our only common language...Pigeon Geman

Abe
13-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Hehe Karl.. I think i won't jeopardize your business..

A little fish said to its mother, mother..........where is the ocean, please tell me..........

The mother said, youre in it, its right before you.

Work is like the ocean, you can never jeopardise anyones work, you can have your little pools to play around in, but the openness is vast and accomodating for everyone.

All you need is to seek, spread your wings and explore......

Abe
13-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Once I was in the beautiful city of Ottawa........it was late afternoon, evening............in the city centre open air market stalls.

I saw these tiny spiders emerge, weave small intricate webs and sat in the centre of them waiting , just calmly sitting there and waiting......

Made me think about nature, how everyones needs are catered for, all you need do is set up your web, the rest will follow.....

Spiders dont cry about whether theres jobs about, they are proactive..........

rbartlett
13-05-2005, 09:22 PM
wow aiyub I didn't know you indulged in the old wacky backy ;-)

but I do now !!

cheers

richard