PDA

View Full Version : Cooler on R-22

captjake
07-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I have a Delfield commerial cooler. It runs on R-22 with a 2500 btu compressor. The compressor might be no good, or it's possible there is a blockage in the system. I haven't messed with it yet. I was told that it does have a full charge.

I was thinking about replacing the compressor and running on R-134a. Of course a new cap line or even a TXV.

Does this sound like a good idea or not?

multisync
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I have a Delfield commerial cooler. It runs on R-22 with a 2500 btu compressor. The compressor might be no good, or it's possible there is a blockage in the system. I haven't messed with it yet. I was told that it does have a full charge.

I was thinking about replacing the compressor and running on R-134a. Of course a new cap line or even a TXV.

Does this sound like a good idea or not?

What change a compressor even if you don't know it's faulty- good for business I guess..(your's not the customer of course)

chilliwilly
07-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Who's told you it has a full charge? Go and check it first and see for yourself exactly what the problem is.

Take some friendly advice and don't use phrases like mess with it, use phrases such as looked at, checked out, and tested. Your customer may pick up on these phrases and start to loose confidence in you, and might suspect your a cowboy (UK) or a hack.

If it needs a new pot and it has a full non contaminated charge, then just pump the system down or recover the charge. Then recommision and don't forget a new liquid dryer. As you should know you can still use CFCs such as R22 to top up and recharge existing systems. So if it needs a top up, stick with R22. But remember, if it does need a top up, it must have a leak and it needs repairing before you top it up. If its a walkin it will more than likely have a txv, I don't recall a walkin ever having a cap feeder, but you never stop learning.

I take it that you've just started doing fridge then?

captjake
07-07-2010, 11:22 PM
It's not a walk-in. It's a little 3 door reach in cooler.

mikeref
16-07-2010, 12:14 AM
The 3 door runs on R22 to meet its workload, R134a will not do the same job, why not run the chiller first and see how it performs

captjake
17-07-2010, 09:05 PM
It was just the cap line, so changed that and the filter drier and it runs great.

Peter_1
18-07-2010, 03:08 PM
The 3 door runs on R22 to meet its workload, R134a will not do the same job, why not run the chiller first and see how it performs
Mikeref, what difference it makes if it runs on R22 or R134a if evaporating temperature stays the same?
The coil of the evaporator doesn't see which refrigerant which refrigerant is flowing through it.

mikeref
09-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Mikeref, what difference it makes if it runs on R22 or R134a if evaporating temperature stays the same?
The coil of the evaporator doesn't see which refrigerant which refrigerant is flowing through it.
Hi Peter, this chiller would run 42psi around 2c on 22 but only 22psi on R134a, less load on compressor and condenser and less work done. Isn't that why we have different refrigerants for our applications? Edit: capillary size/length, lower head pressure. cheers..mike

Peter_1
09-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Mike, where did you found the numbers in the previous post?
If he want to replace a new compressor, then he must size this new one according to the evaporator which the latter one will stay the same. The new compressor must have the same capacity at the same evaporating temperature. Then, the condensing capacity will then be appr the same as with the old one. Of course, the DP over the cap will change with R134a compared to R22 but the original poster said he should replace it.

mikeref
10-08-2010, 03:16 AM
Peter, i see what your getting at, I assumed Captjake was aiming at simply replacing the R22 compressor with another R22 compressor and only running R134a with resized capillary... You know what they about assumption!