PDA

View Full Version : Overload protector

Gram-man
04-07-2010, 09:56 AM
I have Fedders F1FM109S6A (sold in Finland) air conditioner having a long time
to reset if the overload protector has been trip. Is this normal?

The O.L.P is Klixon MRA99018-12027 so if you have any specs, it would help a lot.

If I replace it, how accurate are the specs? Can I just use any O.L.P for this size unit?
Ferrers specs: cooling power: 2600 W, Current draw: 5.4 A, Electric power draw: 1180 W.

What is the adjustment screw for? Can I adjust the triggering current or something?

monkey spanners
04-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi Gram-man,

Is this one of those bi metalic klixons that mount externaly on the compressor? They will take a long time to reset as the compressor body has to cool down first.

The question i would ask is why does it keep tripping, (unless faulty) it is the last hope the compressor has to survive being run outside of its design paramiters.

Would be worth checking for high suction superheat, blocked condensers, poor electrical supply, faulty capacitors or relays etc, too frequent cycling on thermostat or pressure switches etc, or a faulty compressor.

Jon

Gram-man
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi, Jon. Yes, it is assembled on the compressor under a plastic cover. It cuts the compressor off if you switch the conditioner off and off too quickly. So, I believe it is normal operation to protect the compressor. I believe that the compressor draws that much current it makes the OLP to trip when it is hot.

monkey spanners
04-07-2010, 08:06 PM
How much current is the compressor pulling? and is it more than is on the data plate?

Is this a low starting torque compressor? maybe the stat is turning back on too soon.

chemi-cool
04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Just take it off.
These are not reliable parts. If it gets hot once and stop the compressor, the contacts are going bad.

Instead use a proper size circuit breaker for the unit.

Gram-man
07-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Just take it off.
These are not reliable parts. If it gets hot once and stop the compressor, the contacts are going bad.

Instead use a proper size circuit breaker for the unit.

As a sertified professional I can't take it off because after that, the equipment is not in the original condition. It is forbidden in Europe to take any safety features off. If something happens, the insurance company may repudiate. The regulations are mandatory.