PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool K20 Ice machine

Engelec
02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi everyone
I wondered if any of you kind souls could point me in the right direction with a Whirlpool ice machine thats causing me a headache!

Basicaly it is not freezing on the middle of the plate, the slab is forming fine around the edges, but it leaves a "bald patch" for want of a better expression, about 4" long and 2" wide in the middle!

The spray bar is fine, the machine is straight and level, well it was just upto the point i kicked it:D

Any help would be gratefuly received!
thanks
Martin

Gingerair
02-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi Engelec

There's loads of posts on here re those ice makers, try a search & see what you can find :)

fazzamouse
02-07-2010, 08:23 PM
sounds like it's short of gas,the evaps are prone to leak on those machines.

Engelec
02-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi Engelec

There's loads of posts on here re those ice makers, try a search & see what you can find :)
Im going through them right now matey thanks!

Engelec
02-07-2010, 08:46 PM
sounds like it's short of gas,the evaps are prone to leak on those machines.
Thanks for the reply!

B G Scott
02-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I note that the feed back so far is about leaks, these machines are by and large well made.
If you do have a leak it will be in all probability where the suction line is terminated at the evaporator.
The big problem is you can not get at it to see this as the line are located under the plate where the ice bank forms.
Do a quick pressure test to prove the leak and unless you have loads of free time get the customer to buy an new machine, I think I have at least two in the workshop with the same problem and I can not be bothered to get into the cost of repair.
How much can I ask for a machine with not just hours of work but loads of grief down the road if the repair comes back to bight me.
It is great shame that Whirpool (Phillips, Ignis) same machine different brands in the past have not come to terms with with this ongoing problem because it is a good simple way of producing ice.

Electrocoolman
02-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Have you given it a good descale?

Engelec
02-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I note that the feed back so far is about leaks, these machines are by and large well made.
If you do have a leak it will be in all probability where the suction line is terminated at the evaporator.
The big problem is you can not get at it to see this as the line are located under the plate where the ice bank forms.
Do a quick pressure test to prove the leak and unless you have loads of free time get the customer to buy an new machine, I think I have at least two in the workshop with the same problem and I can not be bothered to get into the cost of repair.
How much can I ask for a machine with not just hours of work but loads of grief down the road if the repair comes back to bight me.
It is great shame that Whirpool (Phillips, Ignis) same machine different brands in the past have not come to terms with with this ongoing problem because it is a good simple way of producing ice.
Great post, clear and informative
thankyou I will let them know they need to invest in a new machine!

Engelec
02-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Have you given it a good descale?
We are lucky to be in a soft water area, we dont suffer with scale so much, but thats a good point, how on earth would i de-scale it though
please bear in mind I just dropped on this as a favour, im an espresso engineer by trade!

Electrocoolman
02-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Normally use ice machine descaler (liquid). Do you not use descaler for coffee machines? Take off the spray bar and check holes clear and immerse in descaler. Use brush to go over evap plate. Drain tank and possibly remove pump to check for crap in tank. Wash out. See if spray bar pattern is even.

Good luck.

Ps sanitise with Milton or similar if not using proper ice m/c cleaner

Engelec
02-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Normally use ice machine descaler (liquid). Do you not use descaler for coffee machines? Take off the spray bar and check holes clear and immerse in descaler. Use brush to go over evap plate. Drain tank and possibly remove pump to check for crap in tank. Wash out. See if spray bar pattern is even.

Good luck.

Ps sanitise with Milton or similar if not using proper ice m/c cleaner
Yes of course I use de-scaler for espresso machines, for them I manualy remove the 3 tanks and add the de-scaler then there is a set programme for running de-scaler through the delivery system, Just wondered if there was a de-scale programme setting, forgive me, as I said, Im not used to ice machines!

I have had the spray bar out and the pump, all seem to be doing there job and not too gunged up!

Thankyou for taking time to help, I really appreciate it

Gingerair
02-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Check out the downloads on the left hand side of the page-
http://www.whirlpoolk40.com/#/home/4531731977

:)

Engelec
03-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Check out the downloads on the left hand side of the page-

:)
Top man, thanks!

NJW
03-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone
I wondered if any of you kind souls could point me in the right direction with a Whirlpool ice machine thats causing me a headache!

Basicaly it is not freezing on the middle of the plate, the slab is forming fine around the edges, but it leaves a "bald patch" for want of a better expression, about 4" long and 2" wide in the middle!

The spray bar is fine, the machine is straight and level, well it was just upto the point i kicked it:D

Any help would be gratefuly received!
thanks
Martin
Check that the condensor is not blocked and the fan is running, then check gas pressure, if you have leak and cannot find it, you can get a complete evaporator replacement, I have fitted two under guarantee and they are pigs to do!!!