PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place for air con security cages?

back2space
02-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Evening all.

Been a spate of thefts of copper and metal from air con units in the West Yorkshire area and in tonights paper they are advising owners of a/c equipment to be on the look out... and advising to get cages fitted to outdoor equipment.

My unit is mounted at floor level also and nothing to stop anyone walking upto it, can you advise best place to get a cage from and the cheapest.

Heres the link to the police warning...

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/?Page=3779%7CAppeal%3AKirklees+Police+ask+for+Vigilance+After+Air-Con+Thefts.

Thank you.

monkey spanners
02-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Get some made by a local blacksmith and painted or galvanised.

back2space
02-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Get some made by a local blacksmith and painted or galvanised.

How much u reckon should look to pay?

Gingerair
02-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi B2S

Try- http://www.hawco.co.uk/Condensing-Unit-Brackets-Guards-and-Supports_87_0_c.aspx

Prob not the cheapest but you can order them over the t'internet..

Like Monkey said, a smithy or one of those steel garden gate/fence sort of people should also be able to fabricate you one, it'll probably be more sturdy than the ones above..

Brian_UK
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Some prices off t'internet...

http://coolairairconditioning.co.uk/shop/condenser-cageshousings-c-12.html?zenid=b1be12cb87fe776305221228b13df989

Prince Vaillant
03-07-2010, 08:46 AM
http://www.ryanairconspares.com/conditioning-cages-sauermann-protective-cages-c-26_408.html

back2space
03-07-2010, 02:11 PM
http://www.ryanairconspares.com/conditioning-cages-sauermann-protective-cages-c-26_408.html

Ive looked at those and some people have suggested not to bother because they are put together with an allen key so will stop kids messing but not someone stealing it.

Makeit go Right
03-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Been a spate of thefts of copper and metal from aircon units in the West Yorkshire area. My unit is mounted at floor level and nothing to stop anyone walking up to it.

Couple of years ago, one of our customers was worried about this kind of thing, while we were commissioning a system, and he wanted something done while we got a price/submitted quote/order/delivery/install for a cage/guard unit.

I had our engineer cover the fixing bolts/nuts with external no-nails so it would make things difficult to get a spannar onto the nuts/bolts. Should slow down a theft, I thought, and customer was calmed down. A week or two later, we fitted the cage.

Just a couple of weeks ago, when we had to move the condenser, my engineer was going off about how some stupid idiot had no-nailled all the fixings and he had to chisel each one clean before he could get a spannar on the nuts etc. He guessed it was something to do with me, of course:D

Ive looked at those cages and some people have suggested not to bother because they are put together with an allen key so will stop kids messing but not someone stealing it.

Some improvement could be obtained by changing the standard M8? allen key bolts for security-type bolts that need a special key to undo them.

Or using a padlock to hold the cage panels together.

But, if the threat is a scrapper, presumably they could just crowbar the kit+cage off the brackets/wall or something like that. Maybe you could also invest in a couple of dummy CCTV cameras and CCTV-warning signs (at least they would have to keep their hoodies on tight while working and have to carry the stuff to the distant car/van).

back2space
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Couple of years ago, one of our customers was worried about this kind of thing, while we were commissioning a system, and he wanted something done while we got a price/submitted quote/order/delivery/install.

I had our engineer cover the fixing bolts/nuts with external no-nails so it would make things difficult to get a spannar onto the nuts/bolts. Should slow down a theft, I thought, and customer was calmed down. A week or two later, we fitted the cage.

Just a couple of weeks ago, when we had to move the condenser, my engineer was going off about how some stupid idiot had no-nailled all the fixings and he had to chisel each one clean before he could get a spannar on the nuts etc. He guessed it was something to do with me, of course:D

But, if the threat is a scrapper, presumably they could just crowbar the kit off the brackets or something like that. Maybe you could also invest in a couple of dummy CCTV cameras and CCTV-warning signs (at least they would have to keep their hoodies on tight while working and have to carry the stuff to the distant car/van).

We have purposely not had an isolator switch fitted on the outside so it could not be disconnected from the power if they try to steal it.

If they were to steal it from outside the house surely that would make a lot of noise with escaping refrigerant etc.

monkey spanners
04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I have seen a alarm wire linked through the condensing unit on one site, impossible to remove unit without unplugging the cable which sets off the alarm.

multisync
04-07-2010, 10:47 PM
We have purposely not had an isolator switch fitted on the outside so it could not be disconnected from the power if they try to steal it.

Is that legal -or at least if someone gets electrocuted you could be held liable..?

back2space
04-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Is that legal -or at least if someone gets electrocuted you could be held liable..?

I dont know but thats what I wanted, this is why its so easy for them to steal units as they just turn the isolator off. This makes it harder for them.

Put it this way its in a private garden if they get electrocuted what were they doing near an a/c unit on private property.

Gingerair
04-07-2010, 11:17 PM
The isolator should be accessible & near to the unit for safety reasons, say if someones working on the unit & there's an accident or if there's a fire, etc

You're probably better off making sure you've got adequate insurance to cover theft rather than have an illegal installation..

Anyway, with the law it is now a days if some tea-leaf got electrocuted whilst tryin to nick your unit/copper i'm sure there'd be lawyers queuing up to stand up for their human rights & try take you for a few quid..

Anything you do is only a deterrent anyway, if they really want it, they'll find a way. Although i'm not sure who'd want to buy just a condensing unit without the indoor, or if it's the copper pipe your worried about you'd have to cage all that in as well...

back2space
04-07-2010, 11:27 PM
The isolator should be accessible & near to the unit for safety reasons, say if someones working on the unit & there's an accident or if there's a fire, etc

You're probably better off making sure you've got adequate insurance to cover theft rather than have an illegal installation..

Anyway, with the law it is now a days if some tea-leaf got electrocuted whilst tryin to nick your unit/copper i'm sure there'd be lawyers queuing up to stand up for their human rights & try take you for a few quid..

Anything you do is only a deterrent anyway, if they really want it, they'll find a way. Although i'm not sure who'd want to buy just a condensing unit without the indoor, or if it's the copper pipe your worried about you'd have to cage all that in as well...

I think its less likey to happen at a house as they would make a lot of noise taking it then running along the gravel which is also very noisy, plus there would be the noise inside as the gas escapes from the system.

Insurance wise, this is a tricky one as my landlords buildings insurance covers him for his heating system which is a central heating system whereas the A/C system I put this in my self and so I asked if it can be covered on my contents insurance as I will take it with me when I move out you see as the landlord wont give me anything towards it.

eggs
05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
One of my customers has just called.

All of his external pipework has gone..........along with all the gas.

That's 13, 12.5kw splits worth :eek: 40kg's of 410 gone.

Eggs

back2space
05-07-2010, 12:26 PM
One of my customers has just called.

All of his external pipework has gone..........along with all the gas.

That's 13, 12.5kw splits worth :eek: 40kg's of 410 gone.

Eggs

OMG its its rediculous they will take anything.

I assume this is commercial premises.

Gonna be an expensive job.

Prince Vaillant
07-07-2010, 01:20 PM
There is an alternative option to copper tube which is Air Conditioning Refrigeration Hose manufactured to the latest international specifications (SAE J51b/SAE J2064) this is available here (http://www.ryanairconspares.com/conditioning-hose-pipe-premade-conditioning-flexible-pipe-hose-c-91_157.html) . We do sell lots of this hose and so far have had no problems with it. I really feel though that if the thief wants to make off with the metal content within anything they will regardless of what is put in their way to prevent this. Maybe installing at height is the only answer?

monkey spanners
07-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Doesn't the switch have to be within a meter of the system, if the system consists of the indoor, outdoor units and pipework then so long as it has a switch within a meter of a part of the system wouldn't it meet the relavent guide lines?

I can think of loads of large commercial systems that don't have a local isolator, a coldroom evap for example, usually the isolator forms part of the control panel or such.

multisync
07-07-2010, 08:50 PM
OMG its its rediculous they will take anything.

I assume this is commercial premises.

Gonna be an expensive job.

That or Egg's house but copper theft is very common in the states

multisync
07-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I think its less likey to happen at a house as they would make a lot of noise taking it then running along the gravel which is also very noisy, plus there would be the noise inside as the gas escapes from the system.

Insurance wise, this is a tricky one as my landlords buildings insurance covers him for his heating system which is a central heating system whereas the A/C system I put this in my self and so I asked if it can be covered on my contents insurance as I will take it with me when I move out you see as the landlord wont give me anything towards it.

Fit the isolator onto the case of the outdoor unit.drill through the back of the isolator and gland off. Follow the pipes with the mains and feed it into the back of the isolator and the feed out the back onto the terminals..

Neat job and that way it's isolated but to remove the unit they need to tamper with the live feed..

olddog
08-07-2010, 11:46 AM
There is an alternative option to copper tube which is Air Conditioning Refrigeration Hose manufactured to the latest international specifications (SAE J51b/SAE J2064) this is available here (http://www.ryanairconspares.com/conditioning-hose-pipe-premade-conditioning-flexible-pipe-hose-c-91_157.html) . We do sell lots of this hose and so far have had no problems with it. ..............

Bit of chit chat on hose earlier :

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24688

jimbo82
08-07-2010, 10:52 PM
No point bothering with the live feed one way or another - if they have pliers with insulated handles they can just cut through the incoming cable quickly and trip the breaker - its not as exciting as it sounds! Just a bang and a flash and these jokers don't care about their lives anyway. The mounting at heights sounds great, use a cage as well and then wrap that with barbed wire or razor wire!!!

back2space
09-07-2010, 12:51 AM
No point bothering with the live feed one way or another - if they have pliers with insulated handles they can just cut through the incoming cable quickly and trip the breaker - its not as exciting as it sounds! Just a bang and a flash and these jokers don't care about their lives anyway. The mounting at heights sounds great, use a cage as well and then wrap that with barbed wire or razor wire!!!

Maybe we should just make the casing of the outdoor unit live and step up the voltage a few notches!

lomb
09-07-2010, 08:21 AM
The best idea here sounds like bolting it down and no more nails on the heads of the screws so it needs an angle grinder to get it off The other option is araldite on the threads and tighten it up. I dont see the point in a security cage, surely if they want metal they will take the cage as well? The cages ive seen are very flimsey and i think are designed to stop general vandalism like throwing a brick at it or manhandling it.
I dont think modern ac units have copper in them except the lines, its aluminium isnt it? Thats got to be worth alot less. The ones in the States getting roibbed would i assume be the old copper ones?

oldairconman
13-07-2010, 10:06 AM
ACG Bridgwater

Gingerair
13-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Maybe we should just make the casing of the outdoor unit live and step up the voltage a few notches!

When i was a kid my dad did just that with the garden shed handle after some scum bag nicked his bike. DIY mum ended up disconnecting it after she'd fixed the washing machine.. :)

still learning
16-07-2010, 07:16 PM
how much is a coil, and the odd bit of copper worth ?
the gas plume must look like fog at night.
desperate times we live in.

spimps
16-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Pub near me with below ground cellar and condensing unit on 1st floor flat roof was empty for a couple of weeks, both lines were punctured with a centre punch where they went through the wall,took the pipe and condensing unit off the flat roof.:mad:
What scum roams this world !

Makeit go Right
17-07-2010, 05:19 PM
USA news:

http://www.acr-news.com/news/news.asp?id=2164&title=US+scrap+thieves+face+environmental+charges

samson smith
19-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Evening all.

Been a spate of thefts of copper and metal from air con units in the West Yorkshire area and in tonights paper they are advising owners of a/c equipment to be on the look out... and advising to get cages fitted to outdoor equipment.

My unit is mounted at floor level also and nothing to stop anyone walking upto it, can you advise best place to get a cage from and the cheapest.

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/?Page=3779%7CAppeal%3AKirklees+Police+ask+for+Vigilance+After+Air-Con+Thefts.

Thank you.
Yes, you are right sir. The best place to get a cage from and the cheapest. I have searched on the link that is given on your tag. It is working properly and provides the complete information. This link provides information of police warning. Thanks for this information. :)

sinewave
22-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Don't see how wasting your money on a cage will help you?

They want the copper pipe usually not the condensing unit so if you have a reasonable external run of copper then that'll not be protected will it, just the last 20" or so.

Cages in my view are for for Vandalism protection.

SeanB
24-07-2011, 01:44 PM
They will steal the unit for copper worth less than a dollar at the scrap yard, and do that to lights, stealing 5m of cable for the copper. The scrap yards are complicit in this, as they take the metal with little or no questions, and look the other way but give less for stuff that they know is stolen ( Who will drop off lengths of new copper pipe at a scrapyard if it is not stolen) and make a killing.

samson smith
12-08-2011, 05:07 AM
Evening all.

Thank you.

The most important thing you can do is to get some kind of ac protection and that can either be in the form of ac cages or an ac alarm. The benefit of ac cages is that they are not expensive as compared to ac alarms, and also air conditioner cages are much easier to install. You can buy air conditioner from surplus shops or warehouses that sell brand new air conditioners.

samson smith
01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Evening all.

Thank you.

AC cages are not as expensive as ac alarms. Air conditioner cages are very easier to install. These cages are usually made of steel or iron work. They are specially made to allow breathing room for your air conditioner. AC cages give you the security of knowing that your AC unit will never be vandalized. You can buy these ac cages from the market. These are also available in online stores. For more information you can search on the site “cage.pronto.com”.

chillerman2006
08-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Off topic - needed removing

chillerman2006
08-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Off topic - needed removing