PDA

View Full Version : International Move - Refrigerator - Take it or leave it

Flynn
01-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi, first post although I did read through the archive for information first before posting :)

So I currently live in Germany, been living here for 6 years or so and while I was here I bought a real nice side-by-side refrigerator. At that point, I really didn't plan on moving back to the states this soon but you all know how things tend to happen, and well, in a couple of months I will be headed back.

So back on topic, I have this refrigerator, I have space in my container, and I was thinking about bringing it with me. Being by trade, an electrician, I know I can run a new line for the refrigerator to get my 230V (115 x2). I measured the continuity between the ground and the neutral wire to make sure they weren't connected and I didn't blow anything up as soon as I plugged this thing in and that's ok also.

So now I have the right voltage to the fridge, but now I have the question, and the reason for my post, is with the frequency. 50Hz in Germany, 60Hz in the states. The compressor (and any fans, ice machine motor, etc..) would then run faster, right? Would the refrigerator handle the change or should I forget the idea all together?

If it helps, here is the circuit diagram:

Thanks!

multisync
01-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi, first post although I did read through the archive for information first before posting :)

So I currently live in Germany, been living here for 6 years or so and while I was here I bought a real nice side-by-side refrigerator. At that point, I really didn't plan on moving back to the states this soon but you all know how things tend to happen, and well, in a couple of months I will be headed back.

So back on topic, I have this refrigerator, I have space in my container, and I was thinking about bringing it with me. Being by trade, an electrician, I know I can run a new line for the refrigerator to get my 230V (115 x2). I measured the continuity between the ground and the neutral wire to make sure they weren't connected and I didn't blow anything up as soon as I plugged this thing in and that's ok also.

So now I have the right voltage to the fridge, but now I have the question, and the reason for my post, is with the frequency. 50Hz in Germany, 60Hz in the states. The compressor (and any fans, ice machine motor, etc..) would then run faster, right? Would the refrigerator handle the change or should I forget the idea all together?

If it helps, here is the circuit diagram:

Thanks!

check the compressor for 50/60hz or better still contact the manufacturer direct

Electrocoolman
02-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Don't forget that to get 220v in the USofA they use 2 phases, so you will need to fuse BOTH phase and neutral lines, and that your unit will probably only have single pole switching, so that everything will still be "LIVE" even when not running.

You might consider it safer to buy a step-up transformer from 115 to 230, in which case the neutral will be at earth potential.

Motors should be OK running at 60Hz as they will generate a higher 'back emf' and take less current. You will get more refrigerating capacity and might need to check for suction line frostback to the compressor.

Magoo
02-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Sell the one you have before you leave and buy a new one when you arrive home, save shipping costs and save a lot of greif.

nike123
02-07-2010, 07:40 AM
:off topic:
D

You might consider it safer to buy a step-up transformer from 115 to 230, in which case the neutral will be at earth potential.

When transformer is in game, secondary is not earthed and therefore there is no neutral and cannot be at earth potential. But because that is transformer separation, than he is safe from any electrical shock, since current cannot close loop thru earth.

Flynn
02-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Sell the one you have before you leave and buy a new one when you arrive home, save shipping costs and save a lot of greif.

I already have a container for the move and extra space inside so no extra shipping costs. Grief although, that's another question lol.

I am gonna try calling the manufacturer today and hopefully get someone with a brain on the phone to clear things up.

Side note: You would think with manufacturing costs these days that they would make everything the same and only make small changes for the different markets. Not rewire/redesign everything for the different markets.

Electrocoolman
02-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Nike - Have you not heard of an autotransformer......the cheapest voltage converter!

Magoo
03-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Hi Flynn,
to be honest forget about the twin fridge set, it will be total bind for ever. The manufacturers between continents will not support each others, parts etc..
Best advise is to fill any extra space with a Porche or BMW, a motor bike perhaps.

nike123
03-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Nike - Have you not heard of an autotransformer......the cheapest voltage converter!
Yes I have, but I taught that you are not referring to them. Now I see I was wrong.:D

chilliwilly
03-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Take it with you mate, after looking at your drawing and many other ones like it, there is nothing on there that will be damaged by plugging it in or hooking it up to the North American mains system. Like one of the other posts mention the poles/contacts will always be live/hot when any switches are open, and they will still see 240/230v when open, but they would see the same voltage if they were wired with a neutral/grounded leg.

Without trying to teach you how to suck eggs, that won't be a problem, because you'll probably have it switched off if you replace any parts any way. And if you think about a push station or a remote start and stop unit for a 3 phase motor starter is wired, the contactor coils are always live/hot, but won't energise until the start button contacts are made to make the circuit.

As for running faster though, I've found that not always to be true for inductin motors. I've only found they tend to run slightly hotter when running. I have experimented on many occasion with AC drive equipment controlling 3 phase motors. And programmed the frequency parameters and rpm parameters higher than 50 hz and 3000 rpm, and found hardly any difference in speed unless the motor is specifically designed to be used for one or more frequencies and to have a selection of speeds.

I've found its usually a bit worse the other way round though, 60 hz loads on 50hz supplies. The motors run marginally slower and slightly hotter due to the 18-19% reduction in frequency. And the old tube type telly's usually make a humming noise then go pop. With regards to the post about the transformers secondary winding not being earthed/grounded, you could supply it with 3 core flex/cord and put it in an enclosure and bond the flex/cord ground wire straight out of the enclosure to the fridge chassis. Then you would still have the neccessary 3 wires for a metal appliance.

Peter_1
04-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't see any problem connecting it to the US power net.
Main power in Germany
Concerning the neutral and phase you have now in Germany and that there will be still a continuous 'LIVE' wire while not running : what if you turn your socket 180° in the wall power supply? ;)
Voltage in Germany is 230 ot 240 V

chilliwilly
06-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Its 230v nominal voltage all over the EEC +10%, whenever you test in the UK you will still record 240v, or sometime higher in Northern Scotland. In the rest of Europe (but don't qute me on this), it'll probably be 220v recorded when tested. In North America its 240 -5% at the service supply side, and both phases are fused so it should be ok.

I don't know what you mean if he turns his socket 180 deg, are you refering to polarity? The CEC and NEC have stipulations within the code regarding polarity. There are lots of circuits that are still live when they are open, but are not energised. Being live when not enrgised shouldn't make it unsafe. All he has to do is unplug it if he works on it.