PDA

View Full Version : oil leaking from split flare fitting.

schott70
30-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Hello,
I am on call out at a london airport.Been called out to a leak, when i got there it was i big puddle of oil.I located the leak it was on a split flare fitting. The trouble is the pipework is like spagetti and runs through the terminal up to the roof impossible to trace.been on the roof and there is 10 condensor units up there some running some not.

Is this normal to have so much oil coming down the discharge line? this is not a little bit and how can i find out which condensor unit it is?

Cheers.

Brian_UK
30-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Yes oil moves around all the time.

Mind you, oil spreads quite quickly, doesn't have to be a vast quantity either.

One of the units up there will be short of gas. Try and match the size of the indoor to the size of the outdoor; any age dates shown on the kit.

If you are lucky enough to able to switch off the roof units then you could try making the control signal wires open circuit at the indoor and then check the cables at the outdoor units.

Being Heathrow I don't envy you at all.

cadwaladr
01-07-2010, 12:21 AM
maybe someone should have made a drawing of the circuits,sounds like you need to get help from an assistant to trace it the circuit its on that is,who is in charge of the site ? a blind man!dont envy you .

multisync
01-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Process of elimination

Match the make, match the capacity and once narrowed down put it on heating.Won't be many outdoor units blowing cold up on the roof!

the chiller
22-11-2010, 04:46 PM
recover gas.re-flare leaaking joint etc and switch on to heating.that will help you discover what unit is what.

Brian_UK
22-11-2010, 07:19 PM
recover gas.re-flare leaaking joint etc and switch on to heating.that will help you discover what unit is what.Apart from being five months late - how does he recover gas from a unit that he can't identify? :confused:

Emmett
24-11-2010, 06:01 PM
You could use saddle valves and by the way when you are new to the site it takes a while to pick up on when the thread was started, give the chiller a break

Brian_UK
24-11-2010, 10:24 PM
You could use saddle valves and by the way when you are new to the site it takes a while to pick up on when the thread was started, give the chiller a breakNew to the site, he joined five years ago.

OK, forget the date thing, how does his entry help the situation? Read the OP.