PDA

View Full Version : Daily Rest Breaks

grabber01
29-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Can anyone enlighten me to the regulations regading rest breaks between shifts. I am looking at changing jobs which means going on the dreaded call. My questions is that if i am called out at night and i get home at 3,4,5 am what break am i legally entitled too as everything i find online says its 11 hours but i know of engineers that go back in after 8 or sometimes less, or is it one of those EU working it out over an average time jobs

Latte
30-06-2010, 12:06 AM
http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6777

Just thought of something, reading this previous post its looks like its 11 hours according to the WTD, What however if youve opted out :confused:

glenn1340
30-06-2010, 06:06 PM
ELEVEN HOURS!!!!! my boss expects me back normal time next day 7.30 am regardless of what time I got home after a call out, mind you what he expects and what actually happens is another matter.

james10
01-07-2010, 06:08 PM
every place i've worked goes on the following
eg, you get called out at 10pm you get home at 3am you get the 3 hours after midnight as a paid rest break and go into work at 11am (assuming normal start time is 8am) and finish work at normal finish time

Latte
01-07-2010, 06:27 PM
So effectivly 8 hours off the clock then. It just concerns me about engineers in summer, working stupid hours. If they were to have an accident what would H&S regard as a break. Heres my thinking. Work or get called out till 3am. officially you have 8 hours off but obviously you dont get 8 hours sleep. say youre home at 3. Have a shower, something to eat/drink, get to be probably around 4. Then next morning get up/ready for work, may loose another hours there so with an 8 hour break on the clock you only have 6 hours sleep. Is that enough if youve done an 18hour before and after