PDA

View Full Version : High Temperature on Suction Header

cadarville
27-06-2010, 10:42 AM
I am new to the forum so please excuse me if this was discussed previously.... I made more than one change to a medium temperature parallel compressor installation, now I can't pin point a solution to my new problem. One low temperature satellite compressor was shut down because the oil regulator overfilled and the unit's electrical breaker tripped. Un related to this, an expanson valve on a 3 ton evaporator was replaced because it was not cooling for quite some time. Then, to "solve" my capacity problem the #2 compressor was recommissioned to assit in the new load previously carried by the satellite compressor. New problem - suction header became extremely HOT. Localized the source to the newly commissioned "rebuilt" 10 hp #2 compressor. I closed off the compressor suction and discharge valves and the temperature appears to return to normal, but I am still unable to obtain target suction pressure due to insuficient compressors. Any advice on the "rebuilt' compressor? I haven't even begun to think of the satellite compressor problem!

monkey spanners
27-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Sounds like its leaking back through the head, with the compressor off, fit your gauges on the suction and discharge valves, shut off the oil return, shut the discharge valve, your suction gauge should be registering suction header pressure, now shut the suction valve, the compressor should now be completely isolated from the system, now open the discharge valve, if the suction pressure rises, the compressor is leaking across the head, or possibly a pressure relief valve that are on the bigger comps.
If the suction pressure doesn't change, shut the discharge again and open the oil line and see, i doubt its the oil line as i don't think you would get enough flow to heat up the suction header but i can't see your system from here!