PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sell a Mini-Split w/ top Discharge??

David40
26-06-2010, 09:59 PM
All of the mini-split A/C systems I have installed require mounting the indoor unit high on the wall because the discharge is near the bottom. I have a situation in a small office where there is no bare wall space on upper two thirds of the walls or windows are in the way.
I suggested a regular wall mount A/C but they need a unit that is totally silent and I don't know of any wall A/C that runs as quitely as a Mini.
Does anyone know of a mini-split system where the indoor unit discharges out near the top so it can be mounted low on the wall?
Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Mr.Wonderful
26-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Look at the EMI consoles or Multi Aqua line of cmpact chillers

David40
26-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks, The EMI looks promising, but there does not seem to be a distributor in my area.

monkey spanners
26-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Have a look at a Daikin, Fujitsu etc console unit for a floor mounted mini split system.

Mr.Wonderful
27-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Sid Harvey industries. EMI iss out of Rome ,New York

David40
27-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Wow, Sid Harvey? I didn't think they were still around. They closed down over fifteen years ago in this area. They were a good supply house and I remember I was very sad to see them go.

lomb
27-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Of course condensate can be pumped up so thats a red herring. However they arent designed to be installed low down especially in cooling mode it will be uncomfortable. Cooling normally directs the cold air high across the room and it falls creating the comfort. A true wall mount accomplishes the same blowing upwards directly something a mini cant do.

David40
27-06-2010, 08:23 PM
True it's less than ideal but I did find units from both Fujitsu and EMI that are designed to blow up from low on the wall. Besides that I always recommend the use of ceiling fans which ends up destroying any natural convection anyway.
I also thought of those units I have seen in motels mounted on the floor under the window next to the doorway. They seem to do the job well, but again, they make almost as much noise as a regular wall unit.

back2space
01-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Besides that I always recommend the use of ceiling fans which ends up destroying any natural convection anyway.

Would you have the fans in reverse or blowing down as surely if they are blowing down they create a further draught.

David40
01-07-2010, 11:34 PM
In cooling mode down. It's the moving air on the skin that make it feel several degrees cooler, and that lets you lower the stat and save energy. In heat mode up, because it is more for even distribution up bringing the heat down from the ceiling. The last thing you want is a breeze on you when you are trying to keep warm.

back2space
01-07-2010, 11:40 PM
In cooling mode down. It's the moving air on the skin that make it feel several degrees cooler, and that lets you lower the stat and save energy. In heat mode up, because it is more for even distribution up bringing the heat down from the ceiling. The last thing you want is a breeze on you when you are trying to keep warm.

I find when they are on reverse mode in heating mode that I get draughts down the walls in smaller rooms so dont tend use them.

David40
02-07-2010, 12:05 AM
I understand they help with high or vaulted ceiling, but personally I never use them during heating season.

ClimateControl
15-11-2010, 04:46 PM
A top discharge will be considered a Suspended or universal mount system, the only ones I know of are Freidrich