PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Carrier Remote's?

sinewave
25-06-2010, 06:00 PM
A new customer has got two 7kW Carrier cassettes with hand held faulty remotes.

The first one died and he carried on using the remaining one which has also now died.

The units are 40GKX024W units.

Anyone any ideas where I could obtain some replacements or maybe convert to a wired remote if possible?

Ta muchly! :)

Latte
25-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Dont want to ask the obvious, but its a starting point. Have you tried a universal remote

sinewave
25-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Not as yet, but now you've suggested it a question has popped in to my head!

How do so called 'universal remotes' get programmed to a specific air handler?

Brian_UK
25-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Second starting point is to try Carrier for replacements.

sinewave
25-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Already sent them an email Brian thanks but suspect they'll try and 'av me pants down' so posted on here in case a forum member came up with a better/cheaper solution.

Also these units are old R22 so maybe spares are getting sparse!

Latte
25-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Just checked to universal i have in the van and it does list codes for Carriers but i dont know how many different frequencies Carrier have used. May be worth a go and if it doesnt work keep it and when the mrs takes you shopping use it to adjust the temp up on the shops a/c units and it gives you a excuse to get out quickly as its too hot in there :-)

Spare Parts Man
28-06-2010, 04:06 PM
We sell the 'MIMIC' (manufactured by Advanced Engineering) universal infra - red remote control, which does a large range of Carrier - although I cannot guarantee it would work with your specific, it is a popular seller with no returns (yet)...

james10
28-06-2010, 09:19 PM
If the mimic doesn't work with carrier codes try it with toshiba codes same unit different badge

Latte
28-06-2010, 11:15 PM
How do so called 'universal remotes' get programmed to a specific air handler?

Each Remote comes with a list of code numbers for each manufacturer. You can either type each one in individually, which is the quickest way if youre one doesnt have that many codes or can can set it to try each code, but as there are well over 100 frequencies that can take some time. Got to be said thought, ive done about 5 of these over the years and they have worked each time

Regards

Latte

CPboy
20-07-2010, 05:29 AM
i had similar experiences iwth carrier remotes so what i do is use thise honeywell and johnson wallmounted controls, they do the job, use just loose the flexibility of the wireless remote control form carrier but durability wise, my hand goes up for the wallmounted honeywell controls.

selectaircon
22-09-2011, 07:06 PM
I realise your thread is over a year old and I assume you've got your remote sorted. But for anyone else with a similar problem. In Spain I use a 1000-1 universal remote that offers an auto search for the codes. It's that quick I don't bother to look up the code number against manufacturer and just wait for the indoor unit to 'ping'.
Mark