PDA

View Full Version : Best compressor friendly replacement for R12?

abcdefg
27-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Im in need of 3.75Lbs of *****. That will cost me more than my car is worth. My friend has a 100lb bottle of it, but hes not going cheap on it.

My car uses a six-piston pump with the pistons powered by a wobble plate on the shaft (the newer cylinder shaped pumps). These ones are known to die like flies when R134a is used.

Since I do not have a lisence to work with R12, and the cost of R12, I want an alternative. What will work best for maximum efficiency, and lowest compressor strain?

botrous
27-04-2005, 08:26 PM
try to import some R12 from Lebanon a 13.6 Kg cylinder will coast u about 45 USD here , cheers

rbartlett
28-04-2005, 07:00 AM
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/macssubs.html

remember only qualified licience holders are permitted to work on refrigeration/ac systems (but I'm sure you know and abide by this)

cheers

richard

chemi-cool
28-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Get the same capacity compressor for R-134a.
Change the TEV, wash the system and you got a new AC for your car.

Too much for you?

Try Ebay, you can find just everything there.

Chemi :)

abcdefg
28-04-2005, 04:10 PM
The only reason I even considered R134a, is because I can replace the seals and old hoses myself. Its not so bad to pay 40-50$/lb for *****, but once you figure in paying a guy to hunt down the leaking seals, replace them, flush and evacuate the system... Its just not worth it.

My car is a 29yr old cadillac. The compressor is a good sized high volume one, estimated by my friend/mechanic to use 6-8hp to run.

I keep hearing about these R12 replacement refrigerants, which supposedly run at lower head pressure. I may have to get ahold of the more heavy-duty piston & crankshaft style pumps.

I may be able to have my friend order all of the hoses, gaskets and compressor seals, so I can replace all of the antique hoses, and pay him to flush, evacuate and recharge the system if I cant find an alternative. I just dont get why they wont let me buy R12 fittings and seals... :(

I will keep on researching the pressure charts for these "replacement refrigerants", and see how bad they are.

chemi-cool
28-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Hi abcdefghij,

Now you're talking, How much do you want for the car?

If you can not afford it, don't do it.
If you want it to work, let a professional do it.

One more thing I can suggest you is to look for the parts at scrap yards, I'm sure you find good parts and cheep too.

Chemi :)

Peter_1
28-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Propane has +/- the same characteristics as R12 and is very cheap.
Don't worry about leaks around the engine. It will boost your Cadillac :cool:

eggs
28-04-2005, 08:23 PM
can you get isceon 49 in your location?

cheers

eggs