PDA

View Full Version : Capillary size

kssoin
23-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi All,
I hav replaced a rotary compressor in a window Ac. The first one had stalled. The replacement comp is manufactured by Siam Compressor Industries Thailand. The original comp was by same company. The Ac is a 1,5 TR unit.
Before starting the unit i want to make sure that the capillary is right. The unit has two caps of .064 " ID having length of 41.5 inches.

What is the correct cap size for the compressor having model no RH313VADT

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian_UK
23-06-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't think that you can base the size of the capillary line on the size of the compressor.

kssoin
24-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Hi Brian,
How do I ascertain that the cap size is correct.
I ask this because the unit had low low side pressure of 54 psig at hi pressureof 200 psig, and the unit was running at full load amps.
Appreciate your response.

sendhilkmar
24-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Kssoin,
If you have replaced the same model compressir then there could not be any problem with the cap. size . Capillary size should be caluculated based on mass flow rate and operating pressures/ temperatures. Your AC suction and discharge pressures are too low. Have you changed the old filter frier and capillary?

kssoin
24-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Kssoin,
If you have replaced the same model compressir then there could not be any problem with the cap. size . Capillary size should be caluculated based on mass flow rate and operating pressures/ temperatures. Your AC suction and discharge pressures are too low. Have you changed the old filter frier and capillary?
Hi Sendhil Kumar,
It is a hyundai 1.5 TR. The original comp was 19*** BTU/Hr manuf by M/s Siam Compressor Industries.
I could not get that comp. Got this one which fits the foundation bolts perfectly. This is a 18500 BTU/Hr comp.
this is a 31.3 cc per rev as per the spec.
So what should the cap size be?
Yes i replaced the filter drier and the caps, i dont know jf they would suit this compressor.
I have also changed the orientation of the drier. Previously the cap tube end was 90 Deg vertical. Now I have made it abt 20 to 60 Deg downwards. (A Learning from this forum).
If i increased the pressures to abt 60 psig at the suction(after the evap. the unit drew current over the max value of 9.4 Amps. At peak ambient (43 Deg C )at midday the current was abt 11 Amps.

Appreciate your response.

sendhilkmar
25-06-2010, 09:33 AM
you may cut down the length; Try with 32" length #2 of the same bore. what was the discharge pressure @ the time of 60 Psig suction?

kssoin
26-06-2010, 04:05 AM
you may cut down the length; Try with 32" length #2 of the same bore. what was the discharge pressure @ the time of 60 Psig suction?

Hello Sendhil Kumar,
Thanks for the reply,
At 60 psig the high pressure was abt 225 psig.
Now that compressor had failed. I got the compressor cut from a local machinist,
The bearing at the bottom is stuck at a particular point in the revolution.
Yes i will try with 32".
Tell me what should be the suction line pressure after the evaporator, given the high ambient we have in delhi abt 42 - 44 Deg C, also a low evap temp will cause freezing during high humidity days coming ahead.
Regards

sendhilkmar
29-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Kssoin,
At 45C ambient the discharge pressure goes around 300 Psig and suction would be around 85 Psig. Frosting will take place at lower suction pressures (below 55 psig).

kssoin
29-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Kssoin,
At 45C ambient the discharge pressure goes around 300 Psig and suction would be around 85 Psig. Frosting will take place at lower suction pressures (below 55 psig).
Hi Sendhil Kumar,
I fixed the caps yesyterday and charged the ac with abt 1 Kg R 22.
By the time i finished it was evening. I am getting 63 psig after evap and 250 psig at the liquid line. I measured the subcoolong it was 4 to 5 Deg K and the the super heat was abt 12 and the lowest was abt 9 Deg K. There was a lot of sweating on the suction line. The compressor current was 8 Amps. I will now check these values in the morning. The lowest evap in air temp was 17 Deg C.
Since subcooling is low can some more of refrigerant be charged ?

sendhilkmar
30-06-2010, 06:20 AM
You can charge little bit refrigerant; but maintain the superheat min. 10 C. Do you mean return Ait temp 17C or wet bulb temp. 17C

kssoin
30-06-2010, 10:58 AM
You can charge little bit refrigerant; but maintain the superheat min. 10 C. Do you mean return Ait temp 17C or wet bulb temp. 17C
17 deg C was the lowest Air in at the evaporator.

kssoin
16-07-2010, 07:08 AM
I don't think that you can base the size of the capillary line on the size of the compressor.
Hi Brian,
I had contacted the compressor manufacturers and they've sent me a pdf manual for the rotary compressors. it is a 2.9 MB file that cannot be posted. There is a section on Capillary tube selection of six pages that are abt 700 KB . I will post these six pages on yor PM .
As per these from chart 1
i get for a cooling of 2300 Kcal/hr i get a cap tube length of 1.8 meters for an ID of 0.064".
From chart 2 for condensing temp of 45 Deg C and 5 Deg C of subcooling gives a correction factor of 0.8. so the length is 1.8*0.8= 1.44 meters. (Two number capillary tubes.)
In chart two we have subcooling lines and Dryness % lines. What is Dryness % in this context.
Regards
I cannot attach the pages in pdf form as each is larger than 100 KB. How do I post these?