PDA

View Full Version : Rheem Compressor question

John Fennessy
21-06-2010, 01:05 PM
My AC mechanic just installed a new accumulator on my 4 ton Rheem. Within an hour of turning the system back on the compressor shut off. Turns out the accumulator was installed backwards. Would this have damaged my compressor? It worked fine before the accumulator was replaced incorrectly.

monkey spanners
21-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I think the only difference it would make is to the oil return (some compressor oil circulates with the refrigerant normally), and i would expect your compressor to have enough oil in it to run for a day or two rather than an hour before this became a problem, it would become noisey in operation too before it stopped.
What did it cut out on, did the breaker go out? What does the tech say is wrong with the compressor?

Something to keep in mind is that they do wear out and if your compressor not new it could have just died anyway, if it has. (I was working on site once and the unit next to the one i was fixing sarted to run noisily and then the comp just died!)

More details would help us offer an opinion.

Jon

brunstar
21-06-2010, 09:12 PM
depending on the quantity of refrigerant within the system but basically that would have most likely allowed liquid back to the compressor...
A simulation would be if you get a gas bottle and tip it upside down, liquid will come out..