PDA

View Full Version : Maytag Freezer TOO Cold (and fridge also)

ptb626
21-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Note: I am not an engineer (i.e. not technical!). Just a regular guy trying to make my wife happy by seeing if I can fix the fridge for her.

Maytag Top Mount Refrigerator (around 2000/2001) MTB2156DEB

Problem: Freezer at -30 degrees F and Fridge at +20 degrees F (Defrosted entire system for couple days then 12 hours after turning it on these were the temps). This is air temperature of empty compartments.

Notes and specific things that have been done to troubleshoot:
1) Refrigerator was moved upright in a shaky truck for 1000 miles. Then was left unplugged and unused in a garage for about 9 months.
2) We started using it but noticed the fridge was too warm (40 degrees) but freezer was good. So we used the freezer only for about 6 months (and just left fridge empty).
3) Finally decided to try and fix. Removed the freezer compartment backing and discovered it completely frozen up.
4) Replaced defrost timer (only because I accidentally broke it when debugging this problem).
5) Discovered that evaporator fan motor was stuck so replaced that.
6) After replacing evaporator fan, noticed that the fridge was too cold at 20 degrees so replaced the temperature control.
7) Still thinking the problem was in the fridge, also checked the damper control which seems to be working (damper is opening and closing at different times).
7) At this point thought I'd also test the freezer temp and finally realized that the problem has to do with the freezer being too cold.

And this is where I'm now at a loss and needing assistance. What can be causing the freezer to be too cold? After leaving it off for a day, I turned it on again and after 4 hours the freezer was at -20 degrees F (and fridge at +30 deg F).

I am also attaching a picture of part of the cooling system in the freezer panel. I believe the sensor towards the center right is the defrost thermostat clipped to a copper tube going to or from the evaporator coils. I am not sure what the item on the left is. It is also a copper tube going to or from the evaporator coils. But then above the copper tube there is a putty/clay like substance with a plastic or tape around it and then a copper wire coming out of it going into the back of the unit. Any idea what that part is and if this could be a part of the problem. Final note is this whole area was SOLID ice the first time I opened up the panel.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

pat

Ashkhan
17-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Note: I am not an engineer (i.e. not technical!). Just a regular guy trying to make my wife happy by seeing if I can fix the fridge for her.

Maytag Top Mount Refrigerator (around 2000/2001) MTB2156DEB

Problem: Freezer at -30 degrees F and Fridge at +20 degrees F (Defrosted entire system for couple days then 12 hours after turning it on these were the temps). This is air temperature of empty compartments.

Notes and specific things that have been done to troubleshoot:
1) Refrigerator was moved upright in a shaky truck for 1000 miles. Then was left unplugged and unused in a garage for about 9 months.
2) We started using it but noticed the fridge was too warm (40 degrees) but freezer was good. So we used the freezer only for about 6 months (and just left fridge empty).
3) Finally decided to try and fix. Removed the freezer compartment backing and discovered it completely frozen up.
4) Replaced defrost timer (only because I accidentally broke it when debugging this problem).
5) Discovered that evaporator fan motor was stuck so replaced that.
6) After replacing evaporator fan, noticed that the fridge was too cold at 20 degrees so replaced the temperature control.
7) Still thinking the problem was in the fridge, also checked the damper control which seems to be working (damper is opening and closing at different times).
7) At this point thought I'd also test the freezer temp and finally realized that the problem has to do with the freezer being too cold.

And this is where I'm now at a loss and needing assistance. What can be causing the freezer to be too cold? After leaving it off for a day, I turned it on again and after 4 hours the freezer was at -20 degrees F (and fridge at +30 deg F).

I am also attaching a picture of part of the cooling system in the freezer panel. I believe the sensor towards the center right is the defrost thermostat clipped to a copper tube going to or from the evaporator coils. I am not sure what the item on the left is. It is also a copper tube going to or from the evaporator coils. But then above the copper tube there is a putty/clay like substance with a plastic or tape around it and then a copper wire coming out of it going into the back of the unit. Any idea what that part is and if this could be a part of the problem. Final note is this whole area was SOLID ice the first time I opened up the panel.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

pat
Hello

The part your refering to is the accumulator, to be honest i think after reading what you have wriiten i think the only problem you have had is the defrost heater and stat being faulty from the beginning,change them.