PDA

View Full Version : Protect solenoid from hammer

Aik
15-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Danfoss recommend: protect solenoid from hammer when it closing is to use T-shaped pipe before solenoid.
What do think about this?
Do you use it?
How does calculate the dimentions of T-shaped pipe?

There are many questions, I offer to discuss theirs...

taz24
15-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Danfoss recommend: protect solenoid from hammer when it closing is to use T-shaped pipe before solenoid.
What do think about this?
Do you use it?
How does calculate the dimentions of T-shaped pipe?

There are many questions, I offer to discuss theirs...

I think it is a great idea and for years I worked on cases with this set up inside and did not know.

I always though it was the branch line for hot gas defrost to be fitted if required and it was only a
few years ago on this site that I was informed as to the true nature of the Tee fitting.

I have seen my fair share of TEV failures due to liquid hammer and had I know about this simple
solution, I would have fitted them 25 years ago ;)

So I think the idea of an expansion chamber to minimise the damage from liquid hammer is great.

All the best

taz

Aik
16-06-2010, 06:25 AM
I think so, but there are some questions such as what distance between solenoid and T-shaped pipe must be? What the lenth of thise pipe?

I hear that the lenth of T-shaped pipe is near 3 - 5 of diameter of liquid pipe, but I don't see it in any literature source.
And also think that it would be great to install T- shaped pipe before impact electronik expansion valve...
So is any other information about thise piece of pipe?