PDA

View Full Version : Using automotive A/C Compressor for Soft Serve Ice Cream Machine

dimitrios
14-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi, I would like to duplicate this crazy idea I saw on a youtube video. It's basically an ice cream vendor on the streets in Colombia, which has a soft serve ice cream machine on wheels. (so no current!) From the video one can see that he uses a gas powered engine like from a generator/landmower, which drives the pulley of the dasher and I assume an automative a/c compressor. If you go to youtube and type in 'Soft serve ice cream in cartagena colombia'
you will see the video. (I am a new poster and can't post links)

I have a soft serve machine, car a/c compressor. My question would be how to hook this up, what minimum rpm speed would this compressor need? (I guess I would have to play with pulleys). This guy's set up looks so simple, I don't think it's anything sophisticated. Do you think this compressor is always on? or would he have a refrigerant solenoid engaging the clutch of the compressor? I really would like to know. I think it's very novel.

Brian_UK
14-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Hi tinkerer,

and I assume an automative a/c compressor
I wouldn't assume anything when you see a setup like that. He may well be driving the original equipment compressor.

tbirdtbird
14-06-2010, 11:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFcoPl3dUlo
An interesting rig, to be sure. I seriously doubt there is any live refrigeration machinery in there. Little detail is shown but there seems to be no evidence of a condenser, etc, and the speeds shown of the pulleys has been slowed to run the soft serve machine. An automotive ac unit runs best at engine speeds of 1500 rpm and above (granted there are pulleys involved but without much rpm change). No such speed is evident and I doubt that engine has enough hp to run a car compressor anyway. Also an automotive system can't get cold enough...as designed it is a so-called high temp refrig. system.

Gelatotech
28-09-2010, 12:00 AM
A car aircon is used on the set up! most of the ice cream trucks in South Africa are set up like that. The guys here use The Carpigiani soft serve machines where all the electrics have been removed. the motor runs at about 1800rpm the machine is regulated by the hardomatic switch and a thermostat, the condensor is mounted in one of the side windows, the rest of the mechanical set up consists of pulleys, clutch and belts being driven from the motors crank pulley.

mikeref
28-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Oh.. That was a quick video, played it many times to see if i could checkout the working gear. Seems to me the petrol motor only runs the dispenser and it doesn't seem to be under enough load to be driving a compressor. Worked on many "bushboxes" for clients to take aboard 4wd's to use as quick chill and they have minimun 5HP 4 stroke to run 9 cubic inch auto compressors at around 300 rpm, will achieve -25c, damn noisy, however i'll have to take your word for it Gelatotech.. mike.

Gelatotech
29-09-2010, 07:15 PM
I will post some pics for you to see soon

sibahut
29-10-2010, 06:25 AM
i like ice cream very much