PDA

View Full Version : UltraTroc Air Dryer Failure

Robearbam
15-04-2005, 05:47 PM
This thing is a little over a year old and failed. Compressor is locked up not shorted. I lost the potential relay first due to high current. One of the terminals fried. I replaced it and ran good for a few days. Now the compressor just hums and goes off on overload. My question is should I do a reverse purge on the cap tube once the system is open and before I replace the comp and filter? I have and do a lot of 12 chillers and never practiced this on these systems. They seem to run forever after a comp change. This is only about the 4th time I've dealt with a 134a system and wondering if I should consider it's habit of blocking cap tubes. Parts are expensive for this unit and I really need it to hold up longer then this. Thanks!

coolman
16-04-2005, 08:15 PM
First thing first.

Try to find out why did the compressor seize up.
Blocked condensor, blocked cappilarie, no oil in compressor, durt in system, moisture in system.
Once you find why, you can start repairing the system.

Standard procedure on small cappilarie systems.
remove all ols refrigerant, if possible to deep vacuum.
Charge with dry nitrogin.
remove cappilairie, filter dryer. compressor.
blow dry nitrogin throug condensor and evaporator to remove as much old oil.
Check cappilairie for blockige of any kind (blow throug with high pressure nitrogin)
If oke start reasembeling the unit, make sure all brazing is done under small nitrogin pressure.
take time de evacuate the unit (leave it overnight or longer) break with nitrogin an start ta evacuate again.
Recharge with the right amount of fresh refrigerant and check the system pressure both suction and high side.

Most common reasons for compressor failiure in dehumidifiers
defrost cycle on hotgas or reverse system to long witch causes compressor to overheat.

Good luck

Victor

Leo1967
18-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi Rob,is it a dehumidifier or a compressed air dryer?anyway,the cause for the compressor failure could be the fried phase.If the compressor is a three phase even with a thermo protection it can burn easily if a phase is missing.
regards
Leo

Robearbam
19-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks Coolman, Hey Leo...It's single phase. It may be the controller that caused the problem. When I first got this thing it started freezing up after 6 months of operation....oh, and it is a compressed air dryer....175 CFM. Well anyway....they sent me a new controller with thermo and everything seemed fine for about 4 or 5 months. I put a kellog in about 30 years ago and replaced it with this "space shuttle"...which the principle of saving energy and running only when it needs too is a great idea but....I'd rather have something that works. It's AC time again around here and things get nuts. I have to take care of this thing when I'm not doing anything. I will get to it eventually... :)