PDA

View Full Version : Airwell GC48RCFX Compressor??

Lynton
08-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi all.
Have a :confused: compressor in an Airwell GC48RCFX 3phase 14kw R22 ducted airconditioner that I need to fix.
I know you're all thinking.... why fix it. But the indoor has been built into a bulkhead and is nearly inaccessable so would be a pain to change to another brand of unit. Also the newer units on the market seem to have a higher static pressure than the Airwell which may give me grief with air noise through the ducting which is also installed throughout the house in bulkheads as well.

Due to Airwell's demise in Australia, I can find no info on the type and capacity of the compressor in the unit. There is no labels or tech info on the compressor itself so can't cross reference it with a Copeland scroll or similar. The only importer of Airwell parts to Australia has no idea what compressor to supply either hence I'm throwing the question out there to you guys.

The Question: Does anyone know what type/model compressor was fitted in these units or has anyone successfully installed an alternative compressor in one of these systems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Lynton

sedgy
08-06-2010, 02:16 PM
hi linton , I am not farmiliar with this type of unit , but you say its noisy and the indoor unit is in the bulkhead, , lots of problems , if it was me I wouldhave a new start with a fully contained unit, outside ,then you would have no noise in your bulkhead a gauranteed new unit with no complicasions about fitting a new compressor that might work? all the best

Lynton
09-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Thanks for your reply Sedgy.
The issue with putting a new unit would be that the ductwork would almost certainly have to be changed due to the Aiwell unit's low static pressure.
Its hard to explain without having seen the house of course but its is not a viable option for this 'architecturally' designed nightmare. Hence I need to see about repair if at all possible. I can pull down the bulkhead where the indoor unit is as it is in the garage of the house but the ductwork is a whole different kettle of fish.
An external 'packaged' unit would not be an option either I'm afraid. I'm just going to hope someone has some technical info on these units. I am still waiting for Airwell (international) to get back to me but I don't have much hope about info from them.

Thanks

Lynton

tradybrad
09-06-2010, 09:34 AM
by memory not 100 percent sure but believe they where copeland scrolls model zr61kc not being rude but are you 100 percent sure its the compressor only being airwell have so many other issues in there 3 phase models that go wrong
brad

Lynton
09-06-2010, 01:48 PM
by memory not 100 percent sure but believe they where copeland scrolls model zr61kc not being rude but are you 100 percent sure its the compressor only being airwell have so many other issues in there 3 phase models that go wrong
brad

Thanks for reply Brad. No offence taken mate. It was my boss who diagnosed it but it was actually the GC48RCF single phase units that we had the most problems with. In Australia they had various different soft starters and they were all crap. Between the softstarters and the poorly designed systems, compressor failures very common on them.
I actually brought the single phase GC48RCF unit scroll compressor going backwards issue to Airwell Australia's attention though they did not believe me until they managed to replicate the problem in their tech test lab.
We had virtually no problems with the GC48RCFX 3 phase units apart from the standard RCW/UBMS wall controller issues, the version 5 and Storm Board fan relay problems, the outdoor fan capacitors failing and the odd reversing valve issue. Apart from that :D they were fine. We dealt with Airwell units since their introduction in Australia so became quite familiar with them. Virtually never had a compressor fail in THIS model.
Afraid I will need to be 100% sure of the correct compressor type prior to changing. A rather expensive mistake it would be to make.

I do appreciate the effort though so thanks.
Regards
Lynton

spurii
30-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Hello all, Lynton you sound like the guy i need to chat with here about my perance GC48RCF unit. I have been told that the reversing valve neets to be replaced as the unit is just on heat mode. Is this due to the valve its self or the solinoide that operates the valve?? If it is a solinoide issue is there a way i can open the valve to cool as a temporary option until i can get the revercing valve replaced?? How much does this normaly cost to replace and how much are the parts for this?? Its 40c here now and I have them living in my house haha someone help lol:confused:
Edit: There is no need to shout.

Wiluna Wonder
31-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Very quickly the compressor in the unit is a daikin scroll

Lynton
15-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Hello all, Lynton you sound like the guy i need to chat with here about my perance GC48RCF unit. I have been told that the reversing valve neets to be replaced as the unit is just on heat mode. Is this due to the valve its self or the solinoide that operates the valve?? If it is a solinoide issue is there a way i can open the valve to cool as a temporary option until i can get the revercing valve replaced?? How much does this normaly cost to replace and how much are the parts for this?? Its 40c here now and I have them living in my house haha someone help lol:confused:
Hi Spuri.
Sorry mate. I haven't been to this thread for a while.
I'm afraid if it's stuck on heating then it is most likely the reversing valve itself stuck. This was unfortunately quite common with the Airwells. I personally have changed well over 20 of them on the Airwell ducteds. Very rarely they can be freed up by tapping (firmly) on the valve in various spots while the unit is running. When they do free up they normally stick eventually again.
One thing to check is that the indoor pc board is not outputting continuosly to the solenoid coil. Just remove the wire from the number 5 terminal on the outdoor unit. Please make sure you do this with the isolator off. Have only found this fault once though.
The valve can be replaced with nearly any compatible (pipe) sized valve as long as it has a 240v AC coil of course.
This has to be carried out by a refrigeration mechanic as the refrigerant (or some of) will need to be reclaimed into a pumpdown bottle. The valve must be kept coolish as any good fridgie knows.
Airwell don't exist as you may know (in Aussie Land) but you don't need them for a part.
Now if you have a wall controller playing up then you have a problem as nobody makes then at the moment. Luckily you can replace it with a remote control and receiver very easily.
If I can help some more then let me know.
Lynton

Duffers
30-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Hi Lynton
I read your advice above and thought it would be worth asking you about my system, which has been frustrating me since I moved in. Its an Airwell GC34RCC outdoor unit that's my latest problem. Previously I have replaced the handset, the remote receiver, the STORM PCB which fixed the previous problems. Now the outdoor unit seems not to like running for more than 2-3 hours when the ambient temp is over 40 (like today!). It sounds like the compressor trips out and then just doesn't want to come on again. The fans are running OK, but no cool air. Is this is a thermal cut-out in the compressor or is the PCB unit doing it? Do I need a new compressor? It's very noisy when running. Typically if it cools down in the evening, I'll probably be able to get it running again. Any suggestions gratefully received? Thanks in anticipation, DUffers.

Lynton
09-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi Lynton
I read your advice above and thought it would be worth asking you about my system, which has been frustrating me since I moved in. Its an Airwell GC34RCC outdoor unit that's my latest problem. Previously I have replaced the handset, the remote receiver, the STORM PCB which fixed the previous problems. Now the outdoor unit seems not to like running for more than 2-3 hours when the ambient temp is over 40 (like today!). It sounds like the compressor trips out and then just doesn't want to come on again. The fans are running OK, but no cool air. Is this is a thermal cut-out in the compressor or is the PCB unit doing it? Do I need a new compressor? It's very noisy when running. Typically if it cools down in the evening, I'll probably be able to get it running again. Any suggestions gratefully received? Thanks in anticipation, DUffers.

Hey Duffers. Sorry bout not posting sooner. Life has been hectic lately.
The GC34 was a single phase 10kw ducted I think. Is that correct?
When it stops cooling do you get any lights flashing on the receiver at all? If it is going out on outdoor coil sensor then the red light ( I think) should flash. The easy way to check if its a control issue or your compressor is to take off the outdoor terminal cover and to check number 4 on the terminal strip for 240v AC. Check to Earth or Neutral (3) as it shouldn't matter. If you have 240volts then it doesn't sound like a protection device on the Airwell electonics UNLESS it is the softstarter stopping the output to the compressor inside the outdoor unit. The softstarters in all the single phase units were ****e I'm afraid.
I seem to remember the compressors in those units being a bit rowdy but without being there it is difficult to say.
They do have an internal thermal but to check you have to: ISOLATE the unit when faulting. Pull cover off unit and compressor terminal. Remove ALL wires from compressor terminal. Use a meter to check continuity or resistance across start/run pins to common pin. It will be open circuit if thermal has activated. And yes, they can take hours to reset sometimes.
Now, if is the thermal tripping then you might want to check the refrigerant charge. If your not a fridgie then run the unit on cooling on a cooler day (when not faulting of course) and see if you get a cold and sweaty suction pipe (big one going to the outdoor unit). May take some minutes of course. Please check if your filter is clean first so you have plenty of air across the evap coil. If you do then your refrigerant charge should be about right. Please no negative comments from fridgies about this method as I have no idea about Duffers' knowledge and am trying to make it simple and not too technical.
If you get sweating back (cold) then I would worry about the compressor a bit. There are obviously other things it could be but if you have a go at these things it will be a start at least.
I will check back every few day to this page, time and wife willing :) , so am more than happy to give my memory and braincells a workout.
Regards and good luck,

Lynton

ps. Don't know your skills background so please be careful with electricity. You will need to check terminal 4 BEFORE isolating or resetting unit as it may reset fault temporarily. Definitely isolate unit before checking compressor thermal.