PDA

View Full Version : coolerking50

coolerking50
05-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Thinking of dumping my old Fujitsu split ceiling cassette unit, as the motherboard in the outdoor unit is playing up ALL the time.
Toshiba do a simlar rating heat pump version: KFR-70QW/X1C. (410a gas) for under a grand (inc VAT).

The advert calls it 'easy install' but not sure if it is 'pres-gassed' or that task is conveniently not mentioned?
My existing (nearly dead) 8 year used unit has itdentical pipe unions and bore sizes, I was hoping to simply use the existing pipework (which is sound and nicley in situ) to connect the indoor and outdoor compressor unit? This is true of cabling, (apart from some colour variations - which I can get around)
What do yoy think? Is this a goer or not?

Regards - coolerking50 (enthusiastic amateur):cool:

Davey 2 Pints
05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Hi cookerking
I have seen these units around, they are not manufactired by Toshiba.
Take a good look at them and you will see a sticker that reads "Powered by Toshiba". They are a Chinese import.
Having not installed or serviced one then I dont know how good they really are.
What you need to look for is equipment known commonly as "replacement technology" these a/c systems allow you to use the existing pipework. I suspect your existing kit uses r22 refrigerant, if this is the case then oil used in the compressor of you old system will not mix well with the oil in your new systems compressor.
If your deadset on using the old copper then make sure you clean the internals thoroughly with one of the flushing agents you can buy, and a good blast with OFN wont go a miss.
Good luck.

multisync
05-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi cookerking
I have seen these units around, they are not manufactired by Toshiba.
Take a good look at them and you will see a sticker that reads "Powered by Toshiba". They are a Chinese import.
Having not installed or serviced one then I dont know how good they really are.
What you need to look for is equipment known commonly as "replacement technology" these a/c systems allow you to use the existing pipework. I suspect your existing kit uses r22 refrigerant, if this is the case then oil used in the compressor of you old system will not mix well with the oil in your new systems compressor.
If your deadset on using the old copper then make sure you clean the internals thoroughly with one of the flushing agents you can buy, and a good blast with OFN wont go a miss.
Good luck.

At first glance you are advising someone to carry out an illegal activity?
That would make you an accessory to the fact would it not...

Davey 2 Pints
05-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Multisync, please explain......

Brian_UK
05-06-2010, 09:22 PM
The original poster does not hold an F-Gas Certification and as such should not be working on the installation of an AC unit.

Davey 2 Pints
05-06-2010, 10:46 PM
The original poster does not hold an F-Gas Certification and as such should not be working on the installation of an AC unit.

Ahh yes, I see your point.
My ignorance and a lesson learnt, Cheers

coolerking50
07-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Apologies from my bad post, I am aware I am not allowed to fit and commision the unit. I will get my aircon service 'wizzard' to do the install (he promised - you get the unit I'll fit) etc. He is pressed for time (always) and I was investigating best value and reduced time fit?
Done more research and you are right, it is Chigo and not Toshiba built (they merely user the Toshiba compressor). The advert refers to it as 'Toshiba KFR-70QW/X1c' - is that conning people or what? Add to that it is R22 refridgerant - I thought that was no longer supplied on new units?!
Don't think I will be buying this after all. Thanks for the input.
The forum is useful for research, in an effort to not make a bad buy and just make me more educated as what to buy and how to look after equipment.
(Love the comments too!)
So a 25K BTU requirement (as old split unit) indoor ceiling cassette 6 x 4 metre room brick built - little glass and one door - what WOULD be good unit nowadays with parts available into the future and a ball park price?
(If I am allowed not too cheeky and y not being 'official' registered')?