PDA

View Full Version : Lanier Tech >>

Vapor
03-06-2010, 01:32 PM
I am going to be heading to Lanier soon to Take my test for NH3. Has anyone been there ? How hard is it ? I'm not to keen on Math & really haven't had a chance to delve into the RETA 1 book as much as I'd like to, although I do have a month before attending. Can anyony give me any insight to what I'm looking at ?

scuba
04-06-2010, 01:56 AM
been to both garden city and lanier tech both schools have a lot to offer,be prepared to study alot and you will get a lot out of the courses

Vapor
04-06-2010, 01:50 PM
been to both garden city and lanier tech both schools have a lot to offer,be prepared to study alot and you will get a lot out of the courses

Thanx ! I doubt I'll haver a problem, I hear it's not bad.

R717Kid
14-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I attended level 1 and 2 at Garden City Ammonia Program and recieved great training as far as I am concerned. That being said, if I had to offer advice it would be that no matter how long you have been doing something, when going for additional training you need to go with an open mind and have had read the books. I went with people much older than myself who knew it all, and failed the test!

Screwloose717
08-04-2011, 03:04 AM
I had a different opinion than most people of the Ammonia Training at Lanier Technical College. I think mainly because I paid for the class out of my own pocket. When you register, they mail you the first chapter of the RETA 1 book. Basic refrigeration principles, stuff that every operator should know. It was obvious that some of the guys in the class had not even looked at the book, or anything written about refrigeration. They got to be operators probably because some guy at the plant quit and they just happened to be there and the Engineer said, "Now you're on the Refrigeration crew."

And a training course is where they should be, but at least study the material before you go. I felt like the first two days the instructors spent way more time than was needed beating concepts into these guys' heads. "This is a BTU. This is latent heat. This is sensible heat. Superheated. Sub-cooled"

Then I felt we really rushed through the lab portions of the class. Especially Friday. I don't know if the instructors just bought their wives new lingerie or what but they wanted to get out of there! Basically if you fail the test, they will hold your hand and let you retake it. I asked about the wording of one question and he explained it and said, "So the answer is A". So, don't worry that you won't be able to bring your boss back that certificate of completion, because you'll get it.

Now, the RETA test is different. That's 390 bucks and it is hard! I did pass, though. I would recommend not taking it unless you're sure you know your stuff. You will be tired, it will be the last thing of the day when you're head is still spinning from everything you've just learned and the questions are worded in a way that seems like it's supposed to be confusing.

Overall, the class was very helpful and I learned a lot. I just felt like for the money, I could have learned more and gotten a little more face time with the instructors. But it is only a 4 day class and you get 2 free lunches and a t-shirt.

If and when I take Operator II, it will be at Garden City just because I want to see what it's like there.

brian_chapin
08-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Read (and understand) the Reta 1 & 2 books and you'll have no problems.

TXiceman
12-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Iguess the "no child is left behind" is being converted to "no technician is left behind". Like the public school system, they are making sure to dumb down the test so that the lowest level student can pass. I think any certification is something that you need to stretch to get and show you are capable.

Ken

Jason NH3
27-04-2011, 02:42 AM
I have/ am involved in some ammonia training and it is amazing that "operators" who have been in the field for many years more than me have no grasp of the basic fundamentals. Read the books cover to cover and understand them, apply what you read in day to day work, then go to the school, you should have no problem. As you progress through and up to the CIRO certification you will really appreciate a good working knowledge of the basics of refrigeration.

Mark Selby
04-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Ok Ima go old school here...what ever happened to the 60+year old tech that we all hated but still would hang on every word the old grouch had to say because he knew what he was doing??? Ive been to the schools and wouldnt pay for any of my guys to go again and dont even get me going on RETA (remedial engineers twirling around). I have learned more in a shop talking to old timers and reading than I ever did spending a week away from my family in a hotel..Call it what it is the classes were talking about here is great for a forklift guy that just got dumpped a NH3 system and they want to keep their job so they put on a show just to call the service companys anyway...oops did i really just say that