PDA

View Full Version : acid oil, copeland

octav
02-06-2010, 02:35 PM
hi, does someone have expierence with acid oil in airconditioning systems, which have never been opened and never had an motorfailure or water in the system. we noticed this especially with Copeland ZR310 scroll compressors, which are mounted in twin. some systems whe have changed oil and after one year with maintenance, we noticed again acid.

regards

octav

bigor_2
02-06-2010, 04:53 PM
What type of oil in this compressor?
What trademark you use the acidity test?

Brian_UK
02-06-2010, 11:36 PM
You state that the system has never been opened but then state that you have changed the oil.

How did you change the oil without opening the system?

Why did you start changing the oil?

dirk
03-06-2010, 12:48 AM
The oil travels around the system, install burn out drier. Check for acid at regular intervals and change oil again and again and again until system is clear of acid .

dirk
03-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Sorry remember to check pressure drop over drier and remove when system is clear of acid.

powell
03-06-2010, 02:22 AM
hi, does someone have expierence with acid oil in airconditioning systems, which have never been opened and never had an motorfailure or water in the system. we noticed this especially with Copeland ZR310 scroll compressors, which are mounted in twin. some systems whe have changed oil and after one year with maintenance, we noticed again acid.

regards

octav

Okay, so you've opened up a system that's never been opened just to change the oil.

This is normally not done in a properly sealed system but, it seems you've found a potential problem that will eventually kill the compressor. So maybe what you've done as a preventative maintenance is a good thing.

If acid is beginning to build in the system then you need to find the cause. I would start with the electrical supply, i.e. imbalanced voltage, power surges, improper voltage, single phasing, etc.

From there look for a small leak in the system which would allow air and moisture to enter. Also check for overheating.

Next clean the system properly as dirk has suggested.

dirk
03-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Your acidity test may be unreliable, after more than one year of running with acid in the system the winding should have allready failed.

oldesky
03-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Many of the new synthetic oils are naturally very slightly acidic. A sensitive acid testing kit may pick up this acidity as a "fault". Have the oil checked by a lab against a new sample of the same oil (brand and type) it may be nothing to worry about. Also do not assume an unopened system has no moisture. Things go wrong with the best manufacturers. Ask Toyota.

Fri3Oil System
03-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Most probable thing that will happen is that you will keep having acidity. Many of the acids testers can be faulty. You can check the oil pH by using a "litmus paper"(don't know if this expression exists in English, sorry) that you can buy in a pharmacy. If pH is below 7, it would be recommendable to clean the circuit.

If you don't remove that acidity 100%, you will have acidity in the system again, and so, the compressor will die sooner or later.

You can place filters that won't remove the acids, or perform a real cleaning of the system.

regards,

Nando

octav
03-06-2010, 10:33 AM
thanks for all reply. I would also not open a proper sealed system, but some maintenace contract ask for an acid test. we renewed the acid tests to be sure we have a new proper one, with the same result. the oil is original Copeland and also renewed oil.
I already ordered for a labo test to be sure about the quality of the oil. I will take also the suggestion about the electrical supply from Powell.

regards

bigor_2
04-06-2010, 08:58 AM
imho,
The acid test needs to be chosen depending on oil type.
All acidity tests are based on a visual estimation of change color of a test liquid.
Wrong perusal of the instruction for the acidity test can mislead.