PDA

View Full Version : Eroding in pipe heat exchangers

Carlo Hansen
08-04-2005, 07:25 PM
I use liquid/gas pipe heat exchangers in some cooling systems. somebody has told me that if the gas speed is 20 m/sec. or higher,
it will cause eroding in the pipes.
I know water and other liquids can cause eroding, but with a clean refrigerant on both sides of the heat exchangers and a oil film to protect the pipes, I think there only could be a nois problem.
Does somebody have experiance with eroding in Cu pipes because
of the gas speed.

Best regards
Carlo Hansen

botrous
08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
never heard of that , any information will be appreciated

chemi-cool
08-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Hi Carlo,

Its news to me.

Maybe you get some more information from that "someone".

Chemi :)

dill
08-04-2005, 08:59 PM
I'v seen eroding in a flooded chiller due to the scouring action of contaminated refrigerant but never with clean gas.

chillyhamster
08-04-2005, 11:55 PM
is that some kind of rotating guinea pig ?

Peter_1
10-04-2005, 11:09 AM
I should say, every liquid circulating in a system gives friction, a pressure loss, so there must be resistance. If there is resistance, then there is somewhere a force acting on the liquid. That force can erode the inner wall of the lines.

Argus
10-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Does somebody have experiance with eroding in Cu pipes because
of the gas speed.

Best regards
Carlo Hansen[/QUOTE]

I was recently called in to look at a chiller installed in the Tower of London. The original parts of the building and the services including some magnificent garderobes, still in perfect working order, go back to Norman times and sure enough, the heat exchangers were corroded right through.
I blame the consultant.
________
Airflow (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Airflow)

chemi-cool
10-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Was it the water side or the refrigerant side?

I have replaced quite a few shell & tube heat exchangers because lack of water treatment.

The result was refrigerant leak but the cause was rusty buts from the water system pipes that caused the corrosion in the heat exchanger.

Chemi :)