PDA

View Full Version : Earth continuity

bernard
04-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi all

Whoes responsobility do you think it is to ensure a new piece of equiptment has earth continuity i.e If you install a large condenser,the sparky will stick a supply on it,commisioning guy,s will do there bit.If the condenser has many riveted panels that are not earthed.Should the manufacturer ennsure this or the installer.

Bernard

Argus
04-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Not an easy question, because you come under more than one piece of legislation in a largely still under-regulated area of the industry.

Ultimately, legal responsibility will be defined in the contract. If you are working employing subbies without contracts, you are on very dodgy ground indeed if something goes wrong.

In brief, this is my understanding in the UK. The new installation is in two parts ? the machine itself and the installation of the supply and its ancillaries up to the terminals.
1 - The unit:
New electrical equipment is sold with a legal requirement to be CE marked. This is European law, valid equally in all 25 member states. The mark is nothing more or less than the manufacturer?s attestation that he has interpreted the existing EU product directives and has ensured that this piece of equipment complies with all existing relevant directives.
In electrical terms, this is the Low Voltage Directive or LVD. There are a number of compliance routes for the LVD depending on the type and complexity of the equipment, but typically a manufacturer mass producing equipment would type test according to a harmonised standard. The standard in question for small splits and chillers is EN 60335. There are other forms of compliance, but this is the commonest and it covers the electrical safety in the machine, including cable types, panel bonding, panel fixing earthing and whole lot of other subjects. At this point you have a new legal machine ready to be sold and installed. Bigger machines and 'one-offs' would come under third party attestation in the factory.

2 - The site:
Commercial site electrical installation safety in the UK is governed by the Supply of Electricity Act and various H&S legislation. Domestic installations are now covered by the building regulations. The 16th edition of the electrical Regulations, BS 7671, is a standard that defines practices to presume compliance. This is UK only and will be different in other countries. It?s worth pointing out that standards are not mandatory, but as stated in the 16th, following the standard is a presumption of compliance.

So, in short, the electrical installation up to the main input terminals is covered by the SEA and the 16th; the machine itself by the LVD. Site modifications to the electrics of the machine by you may invalidate the CE marking but this is just an indication of electrical safety in manufacture at the point of sale.

Finally, you are responsible for your own work and its consequences.

The electrical installation must be safe and comply with existing statutory safety regulations.
The machine must be safe and legal.

Hope this helps in a rather complex area.
________
marijuana pictures (http://trichomes.org)

bernard
04-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks Argus

It truly is complex,hopefully some other chaps will post their views

Thanks Bernard

chemi-cool
04-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi Bernard,

Every machine that runs on electricity MUST be checked by the manufacturer and a label with all the checks and checkers No.

Electricity is only one of the tests.

Any electrical connection by a qualified person MUST be checked and a paper with all the details i.e. name, address and licence No. MUST be given to who ever pays for the job.

So if any problems arise, you know where to go.
Thats our law. Most, just piss on it. I don't, I think its good and keep your behind covered.

Chemi :)