PDA

View Full Version : technical failure - pls help

nightstriker
22-05-2010, 02:30 PM
hello all, i work as customer service in shipping line responsible for reefer containers. and i face a problem with the reefer vendor where the container dischargesd after being loaded because its temp was higher than requested, his reply was as below

The commodity is Onions and its widely experienced for Onions and Garlics that they take too long time to achieve the setpoint, this is because the shippers never pre-cool these type of cargos and on the other hands they are considered from the highest heat generating commodities.

Technically: when the container’s controller sees that it has spent a long time running and its still out of range it begins to generate various sensor alarms, like 54, 56, 70 and 71, this alarms are false alarms and can’t be cleared unless the container achieve the setpoint.
The technicians actually tried to do something to fasten the pull down by increasing the subcooling (changing filter, cleaning condenser…etc), but believe me nothing will succeed, it has to take its time full and then all the alarms will be cleared by its self, so they went to an option to change the controller in order to get rid of the alarm generated but the vessel said that no time and they discharged the container.

so may you kindly help me to understand if what he say is true or what

sneep
22-05-2010, 10:43 PM
He's right. Vegetables are living organisms. They give off heat. The temperature you are starting at plus the "Heat of respiration" is more than the refrigeration can deal with. Pre-cooling the product to what they require should get you ahead of the curve and be within what your refrigeration system can handle.

nightstriker
24-05-2010, 01:04 PM
hey, thanks for your reply. is there any manual to understand the alarms 54, 56, 70 and 71

Will
24-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Those sound like Carrier alarms, are they ?

Carriers container manuals are available on their website.
Carrier Container Manuals (http://www.container.carrier.com/vgn-ext-templating-carcom/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=672dade9ccc05210VgnVCM1000009e81000aRCRD)

I'm surprised they put onions in a refer container.
Them SOBs out-gas so much, we stick em in a dry box and cut one door off to act as a vent.

nightstriker
26-05-2010, 03:18 PM
thanks i will be very helpful
regarding the onions we have diff kinds of onions export from egypt to europe and black sea like Spring onion or red onion or white onion and each have different shelf life and adjusted on diff Temp and ventilation settings

kheilan
08-12-2010, 07:00 AM
the onion in Philippines they put in to the dry van because the travel time is shortly unlike in your place NIGHT so they put in the reefer van...

if you want apply this step...OR TRY it

when after the loading of onion on your reefer van OPEN THE UNIT and after 20mins in running switch your reefer van in to MANUAL DEFROST

go luck