PDA

View Full Version : Replacing old Copeland compressor

bernier74
18-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Hello,

I am working on a freezer with an old CRM3-0400-PFV-270 compressor installed on the unit. Its a High-temp R22 compressor, and it has been working well on the freezer.

I am more of an AC guy myself, now what do you chaps figure I should do? Should I replace it with a Copeland equivalent? Or buy a suitable Low-temp replacement compressor?

Granted the new Low temp compressor are all going to be r404A, which would mean I am going to have to flush the system of any remaining mineral oil

powell
18-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Hello,

I am working on a freezer with an old CRM3-0400-PFV-270 compressor installed on the unit. Its a High-temp R22 compressor, and it has been working well on the freezer.

I am more of an AC guy myself, now what do you chaps figure I should do? Should I replace it with a Copeland equivalent? Or buy a suitable Low-temp replacement compressor?

Granted the new Low temp compressor are all going to be r404A, which would mean I am going to have to flush the system of any remaining mineral oil

The CR compressor is also a medium temp R502 which Copeland quit publishing information about years ago. It pumps 16,700 btuh at a -10 SST. Basically most high temp R22 compressors are also medium temp R502 with the exception of the scrolls.

If this unit worked okay then replace it with the new model CR53KQ-PFV and use R502/R408A.

If you want to use a genuine low temp model it is a CF12K6E-PFV which can use R404A/R502/R408.

I sold a many CR high R22 temp units using R502 for freezer applications back in the 80's. It just meant using a larger HP model than the true low temp models. I bet the condensing unit model you have is a 2 fan F3AD-0401-CFV.

cadwaladr
18-05-2010, 10:42 PM
can the old one not be repaired,or is there not someone who does service/exchange compressors.

dirk
19-05-2010, 02:42 AM
You say that it has been working well,if so why change it .
I have not checked the specs but if it is a high temp R22 compressor and you are using it on a low temp application and have no additional sucton cooling you will be running excessive discharge tempreatures this breaks down the oil eventually causing compressor failure. Iwould reccomend you convert to another suitable refrigerant ie 404a and suitable compressor.

dirk
19-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Sorry may have ****ed up was assuing unit is running on r22.

oldesky
21-05-2010, 04:40 AM
As powell suggests, replace it with the correct CF low temperature model as we should all try to stick with more energy efficient solutions.. The Cr range is not designed for low temp applications and will run inefficiently.