PDA

View Full Version : Armoured cable

bernard
31-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi All

Is it still within 16th edition regs to use the outer sheath of the armoured cable as the main earth.

Thanks Bernard

Mark
31-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Hi. bernard :)

Where the cpc or circuit protective conductor (earth) is formed by conduit,trunking,ducting ,or by the metal sheath and or armour of cable ,the earthing terminal of each accessory shall be connected by a seperate protective conductor to an earthing terminal incorporated in the associated box or enclosure.

In other words continue the earth continuity of the armour with a banjo washer and seperate cpc to the earthing terminal.

Hope this helps.

Mark :)

bernard
31-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks Mark

bernard :)

artisan
01-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi All

Is it still within 16th edition regs to use the outer sheath of the armoured cable as the main earth.

Thanks Bernard

You can use the outer steel wire as earth, but only up to a certain size i think its 10mm the you have to run a seperate earth. this is because the cross sectional area of the earth on cables higher then 10mm is less than half of the main conductor

Mark
01-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi.just had time to re-read the regs :)

543-02-02 A protective conductor may consist of one or more of the following.

(i)a single core cable.

(ii)a conductor in a cable.

(iii)an insulated or bare conductor in a common enclosure with insulated live conductors.

(iv)a fixed bare or insulated conductor.

(v)a metal covering ,for example the sheath,screen or armouring of a cable.

(vi)a metal conduit or other enclosure or electrically continuous support system for conductors.

(vii)an extraneous-conductive part complying with regulation 543-02-06

543-02-03 A protective conductor of the types described in items (i) to (iv) of regulation 543-02-02 and of cross sectional area 10mm or less,shall be of copper.

chemi-cool
02-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi Mark,

Don't you guys use the XLPE green cables double insulation?

I have seen those armoured cables when looking at nice instelation of two cassettes done by Abe.
These are what we call flaxiable cables and only use them for short connections.
Supply is by the green XLPE cables with one copper conductor.

Chemi :)

rbartlett
02-04-2005, 11:54 AM
we use this a lot

http://www.cse-distributors.co.uk/cable/sy-steel-wire-braid-cable.htm

but for mains i use either swa or
http://www.pirelli.co.uk/en_GB/cables_systems/energy/catalogue_pdf/lv_pdf/fp200_Gold.pdf

in white

cheers

richard

Mark
02-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi Mark,

Don't you guys use the XLPE green cables double insulation?

I have seen those armoured cables when looking at nice instelation of two cassettes done by Abe.
These are what we call flaxiable cables and only use them for short connections.
Supply is by the green XLPE cables with one copper conductor.

Chemi :)

Some customers specify armoured cable chemi :)