PDA

View Full Version : Controls

terrie73
31-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Is there no one interested in Electrics/ Controls these days or have i missed all the good threads posted in the past?

We all play with this every day in some form or another

How do we stand with the new regs or is it just for domestic? for the time being

Can i/we still wire up to boards and for how long, ill be finishing my electrics at college next year (if we get any blackouts or the grid has gone down next year sorry in advance).

I think nicc take the p... how are the small traders going to pay their £7000 a year fees? just to be nicc approved

eggs
31-03-2005, 11:04 PM
my interest in electrics was forced upon me on tuesday.

I thought i would do things right and employ an electrician.

never again, ever.

me being a non-electrician, though i would check the sparks work before i switched on a hitachi 3 phase twin split.

problem 1: 60v ac through neutral on 3 phase feed side of isolator.

solution 1 : little brass grub screw thing left lying in bottom of mcb board, insted of securing the neutral wire in place.

Cost 1 : client very unhappy at having to shut down his business for half an hour while i safely inserted and tightened screw.

Problem 2 : 240vac though neutral on indoor cassettes.

Solution 2 : place the loose neutral wires inside fused spur (off lighting circuit) into neutral cable securing thing and tighten properly.

Cost 2 : client very very unhappy at loosing his lights in his main office for a while .

Problem 3 : Phases out of rotation, fortunatly hitachi allows for idiots trying to run the motors backwards and no harm was done.

Solution 3 : swap the wires around

Cost 3 : Because of my choice to employ a "professional" i have proberbly lost a national chain of plumbers, account.

So going back the original post, yes fortunatly i do have an interest in electrics.

napit, neicc, part p , 16 edition etc etc etc can all shove it up their arses, the clown i employed had it all, yet he cost me a lot of time, money and potentially a good customer.

From now on, i do all my own electrics, everything period.Commercial, domestic and industrial. the lot.

sorry terrie, i feel you proberbly ment to say electRONICS and controls, but i saw electRICS and vented this weeks anger.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

cheers

eggs

artisan
01-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Part p is a new reg since jan 2005 the law will be properly inforced with in 4 years as far as im aware part p is for domestic properties if you doing electrical work in a kitchen, bathroom, outdoor or running a new circuit from a fuse board you will need part p. i think think the course is 10 weeks and cost about £650, but if your at college learning the trade i would have words whats the point of learning electrical installation if the college wont offer part p as part of its course. its like learnin to play the piano with no arms. the waiting list is quite long for part p 6 months i think, because when the law came out not many people were qualified to teach people the new reg. Part p can be a major asset to you because you can certify some elses work and charge about £700 for this.