PDA

View Full Version : Carrying compressed gas in estate cars?

terminator
09-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Not sure if this is the right section, but...

Does anyone know the legality of carrying refrigerant or nitrogen in estate cars?

There are bits and pieces on the net, but nothing definitive - I can't work out if what I've seen is legislation (law) or just advisory.

Any ideas guys.....

Brian_UK
09-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Cylinders must be secured within a ventilated vehicle.

Can you honestly say that if you hit the brakes or get hit from behind that your cylinders will stay where they are?

Bear in mind that when that 25kg cylinder comes forward through the back seat it is heading directly for you and it now weighs in at about two tonnes.

terminator
10-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks Brian,

Obviously I understand the importance of them being secured. It's just that I can't seem to find out if them being secured and that the vehicle must be ventilated is legislation or advisory?

Also, very few engineers have ventilated vehicles, despite the fact that the bottles may be secure.

Thanks..:D

Voyager
11-05-2010, 12:37 PM
When I carry R134a in the back of my Grand Voyager they are in 'pigeon holes' made from 9mm ply with a lockable lid, which are fixed to the 9mm ply box surrounding an 85 litre LPG tank. Those gas canisters are going nowhere, no matter what I might hit. If they did, they would have to go through the rear bench seat, past 2 'captains' seats and finally through my drivers seat.

Just to be safe, the rear side vent windows are always open when I have gas on board.

The only 'legality' I had to worry about is my insurance policy - and that had to be 'tailor made' because of the LPG conversion anyway.

djbe
11-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Cylinders must be secured within a ventilated vehicle.

Can you honestly say that if you hit the brakes or get hit from behind that your cylinders will stay where they are?

Bear in mind that when that 25kg cylinder comes forward through the back seat it is heading directly for you and it now weighs in at about two tonnes.

Whenever I call in at the wholesalers in my van (with a properly secured and vented load). I am always amazed at the number of engineers working for major firms driving estate cars that are over and incorrectly loaded.

Who takes the responsibility for this, the employer or the employee? Surely they are not insured if they have an accident. Mind you the engineer might not be worrying about the insurance after an accident, that might be left to their family:eek::eek:

Never been able to get my head round this one? Maybe someone can explain?

Brian_UK
11-05-2010, 11:09 PM
<snip>
Never been able to get my head round this one? Maybe someone can explain?
It's called "Being a Dumb Ass."

eggs
11-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Sorry slightly OT.

What is the reason behind issuing estate cars?

I have a lwb Vivaro and even that is not big enough for everything. How on earth can you do a days work from an estate without popping to Kooltech every 5 minutes?

Eggs

djbe
11-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Sorry slightly OT.

What is the reason behind issuing estate cars?

I have a lwb Vivaro and even that is not big enough for everything. How on earth can you do a days work from an estate without popping to Kooltech every 5 minutes?

Eggs

No idea, perhaps the majors can only attract "quality engineers" by offering them a bit of luxury?

djbe
11-05-2010, 11:33 PM
It's called "Being a Dumb Ass."

Brian, I hope you are not referring to me:D:D:D:(:eek:

eggs
11-05-2010, 11:41 PM
No idea, perhaps the majors can only attract "quality engineers" by offering them a bit of luxury?

Luxury? :D a £12 Grand Mundano/Vectra/ or a £14k Patwat for the super Gods. :D

Give me a van any day.

Eggs

djbe
11-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Luxury? :D a £12 Grand Mundano/Vectra/ or a £14k Patwat for the super Gods. :D

Give me a van any day.

Eggs

With you on that one mate. I would rather have the capability to be first fix than shoot off to the wholesaler and spend half a day waiting for an order number.

Plus my van still has enough gizmos to keep me happy, bench, vice, toolbox, oxy/acy, nitrogen, ladders (full size), stepladders, driers, gas, spares, manuals, etc. etc.

Like a pig in sh*t :D:D

coolhibby1875
12-05-2010, 08:40 PM
i asked the quesion today, it isnt illegal to carry cylinders in a eastate car, you must however carry the relevent stickers on the boot and have all trem cards within the car to hand, like already said above give me a van anyday!!

frank
13-05-2010, 09:16 PM
i asked the quesion today, it isnt illegal to carry cylinders in a eastate car, you must however carry the relevent stickers on the boot and have all trem cards within the car to hand, like already said above give me a van anyday!!
As far as I understand, you only need the stickers by law if you are carrying 1000kg or more of gas.

terminator
13-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I totally agree, estate cars are a pain. I'm with you - I'd rather have a load of gear on board than mess around driving to suppliers all the time.

There are companies around however, who only use estate cars. It just makes the logistics of getting anything done that much harder...:confused:

oldtimer
20-05-2010, 07:34 PM
all bxxllocks my company say you have to have a van due to health and safety but commissioning guys and supervisors got cars loaded with tools vac pumps etc etc . health and safety is for all not the few