PDA

View Full Version : Freezing leaking oil in Gulf of Mexico

VENTECH
06-05-2010, 06:56 AM
BP don't seem to have come up with a solution for the oil leaks. I would like to suggest building a box to lower over the pipe with an insulated jacket and evaporator inside. On the surface we would have a compressor & the piping going down down to the bottom would form the condensor.

We would have to get the oil down to - 30 to -50 Deg C to solidify to stop flow, then it can be cut and a new valve fitted.

Can this be done? ( assuming the ROVs & robotic manipulators can get the stuff in place)
Comments please

lowcool
06-05-2010, 07:15 AM
probably quicker to squirt liquid nitrogen into the hole

Brian_UK
06-05-2010, 11:17 PM
That 5,000 or 6,000 foot pipe run might be tricky.

Lots of oil traps needed.

monkey spanners
06-05-2010, 11:32 PM
I wonder what the water pressure would be at that depth? The nitrogen would most likey not evaporate anyway!

Hitech
07-05-2010, 01:42 PM
1 mile under sea water +- 2532 PSIG

VENTECH
07-05-2010, 11:24 PM
So we just have get a hydraulic compressor to pump gas down at an even higher pressure & let it discharge out of the end of the pipe which will lower the temperature & don't worry about recycling the gas. We use a technique like that in the UK years ago for freezing water mains to repair a broken pipe. Just have to find the right gas & the right compressor. 2532 PSIG = 17.5 MPa

Gary
08-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Apparently, the latest containment scheme failed because ice crystals formed in the four story containment structure, clogging it up and making it too bouyant.

Magoo
09-05-2010, 01:08 AM
The thing that confuses me is the weird arrangement that BP are liable for clean up costs, and no mention of the rig owners and drillers that screwed up and created this situation. It was the drillers that have created the problem,by accident or incompetency/ who knows. Probably cutting corners to save money for shareholders on Wall Street.
And the platform is still a raging fire. Polution plus. So a bit like "Rome is burning " situation. Another nail in the coffin for global stability.

Gary
09-05-2010, 05:29 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0134809c0358970c-pi

lomb
09-05-2010, 11:34 AM
why not try dropping an explosive charge into the hole on the sea floor? a large enough explosion should blast some rocks into the hole. it should work!(or make it worse):D

Gary
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Expanding methane from the well is what froze the containment dome.

If they can freeze the containment dome, why can't they freeze the well pipe?

coolhibby1875
09-05-2010, 08:12 PM
lol, wtf why dont we just seal it up with a piece of chewing gum, there is the most technical minds in the world working on this, why dont we just stick to gas leaks and supa heats and leave the big boy stuff to the big boys?

i know send in Bruce Willis with some nukes!! that ought to work :) bunch o fannies

Gary
09-05-2010, 08:18 PM
lol, wtf why dont we just seal it up with a piece of chewing gum, there is the most technical minds in the world working on this, why dont we just stick to gas leaks and supa heats and leave the big boy stuff to the big boys?

i know send in Bruce Willis with some nukes!! that ought to work :) bunch o fannies

Are those the same technical minds that designed a blowout valve that doesn't work and a manual shutoff valve that the divers can't reach and the robotic vehicles can't close?

If you would like to say that we are second guessing people with better information sources than us, I would tend to agree.

If you want to say they are smarter than us, thus far the evidence seems to be to the contrary. :)

coolhibby1875
09-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Are those the same technical minds that designed a blowout valve that doesn't work and a manual shutoff valve that the divers can't reach and the robotic vehicles can't close?

If you would like to say that we are second guessing people with better information sources than us, I would tend to agree.

If you want to say they are smarter than us, thus far the evidence seems to be to the contrary. :)

get a grip of yer self man there is millions of gallons of crude oil leaking into the gulf of mexico, and you think the best they will come up with is brains on par with us fridge engineers?? if you or any other member of this forum can fix it im sure they are willing to hear from you, and by the way im not having a pop at your knowladge, but if you can fix it, you have had a wasted career in the fridge game!!

Gary
09-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Actually, the "piece of chewing gum" (rubber like substance injected into the blowout valve) idea is one of the options being considered.

You might be surprised at how little faith I have in "experts" of every kind. The world runs on smoke and mirrors. BS floats to the top... MS is More of the Same... and PHD is Piled Higher and Deeper.

Magoo
10-05-2010, 02:15 AM
The current disaster is typical of a dollar driven industry, serving the share holders dividend returns, no consideration for failures, and contingency/plan B recovery.
BP here have dropped the price of gas at the pump today, a bit of a recovery / cover ass mode.

Gary
10-05-2010, 10:52 PM
How hard could it be to install a pressure operated/spring loaded valve at the well head? We've been using them forever on water cooled condensers.

Apply pressure (from the drilling rig) to open the valve for normal operations. If the pressure is lost (drilling rig disappears), the spring closes the valve. Is this too complex for the best minds in the world to figure out?

Gary
11-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Now they are saying the blowout preventer is triple redundant. IOW, this is not one failure, but three failures. Yep... these guys are geniuses.

This is what a blowout preventer looks like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_preventer#Failures

Two types are shown and both require hydraulic pressure to close. Haven't these people heard of springs?

coolhibby1875
11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
How hard could it be to install a pressure operated/spring loaded valve at the well head? We've been using them forever on water cooled condensers.

Apply pressure (from the drilling rig) to open the valve for normal operations. If the pressure is lost (drilling rig disappears), the spring closes the valve. Is this too complex for the best minds in the world to figure out?

again i think we cant compare what we do on the surface of the earth to what happens at 1 mile below the surface of the sea, the presures down there would probally render a spring useless, unless it was huge, but then how do we get it down there.

i think you can rest assure that they are doing everything humanly possible to resolve this issue, but lets stop getting carried away in thinking that devices fitted to water cooled condensers will work a mile below the surface.

craigpcg
11-05-2010, 07:17 PM
well i had an interesting vistor to my website on Sunday night from the gulf of mexico/ canada and the search results for what they were searching for were

"concealed refrigeration system"

So i can only assume that they are tryin to come up with a plan for this??

INTERESTING

Gary
11-05-2010, 07:58 PM
again i think we cant compare what we do on the surface of the earth to what happens at 1 mile below the surface of the sea, the presures down there would probally render a spring useless, unless it was huge, but then how do we get it down there.

i think you can rest assure that they are doing everything humanly possible to resolve this issue, but lets stop getting carried away in thinking that devices fitted to water cooled condensers will work a mile below the surface.

Springs don't work on the bottom of the ocean?

Hmmm... maybe if we keep them well oiled... lol

Gary
12-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Now they are saying the blowout preventer is triple redundant. IOW, this is not one failure, but three failures. Yep... these guys are geniuses.

This is what a blowout preventer looks like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_preventer#Failures

Two types are shown and both require hydraulic pressure to close. Haven't these people heard of springs?

Now they are saying that there was a significant hydraulic leak in the blowout preventer.

Again... somebody needs to teach these people about springs.

Or if not springs, then some other passive failsafe.

Gary
12-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Apparently the blowout preventers have a ram shear which must cut through the drill pipe in order to stop the flow... and the ram shear "may not be strong enough" to cut through the much heavier drill pipe connectors.

BP has stated that the blowout preventer is triple redundant. I would hope this means there are three ram shears. If the distance between ram shears exceeds the length of the connector, then at any given moment at least two of the ram shears will be cutting through the thinner drill pipe.

This is not rocket science.

Gary
13-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Apparently the blowout preventers have a ram shear which must cut through the drill pipe in order to stop the flow... and the ram shear "may not be strong enough" to cut through the much heavier drill pipe connectors.

BP has stated that the blowout preventer is triple redundant. I would hope this means there are three ram shears. If the distance between ram shears exceeds the length of the connector, then at any given moment at least two of the ram shears will be cutting through the thinner drill pipe.

This is not rocket science.

Just when I was thinking it couldn't get any stranger...

One of the ram shears was modified for testing purposes, rendering it incapable of fulfilling its emergency shutoff function.

And their version of a "deadman switch" was a battery operated device which had... a dead battery. :eek:

Magoo
13-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Hi Gary.
this oil slick must be getting close to your part of the world by now. Not sure what coast of Florida you are on. I think the whole thing is going to get worse before it gets sorted.
I beleive that all envolved are getting roasted in Washington, good job. Locally here in NZ, they have canned the same exploration co., from drilling off the coast. Lack of confidence in them I would assume.

Gary
13-05-2010, 03:09 AM
I am just north of Tampa, about midway up the gulf coast side of Florida. The oil hasn't reached us yet... but everyone is expecting it.

Fortunately there is a prevailing current which should sweep the bulk of it past us and down towards the keys (southern tip of the state) and Cuba.

Of course, the hurricane season (starts next month) could easily change all that.

Magoo
13-05-2010, 03:53 AM
Hi Gary.
Oh joy!!!!, not only the oil slick and spoiling your sneakers on beach walk, now you can look forward to a hurricane trashing your place and dumping truck loads of crude oil on your property.

lzenglish
13-05-2010, 04:08 AM
It is hard to believe that BP, or any driller did not have a back-up of a back-up plan. They are farting around with this gusher, and chasing their tails, like a FNG on the job refer guy. Why can't they get someone who know's their crap like bob balard who found the "Titanic", and send down The deep water sub like "Alvin", and put a tap on this thing????????

Gary
13-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Hi Gary.
Oh joy!!!!, not only the oil slick and spoiling your sneakers on beach walk, now you can look forward to a hurricane trashing your place and dumping truck loads of crude oil on your property.

I'm a few miles from the beach, so I'm not overly concerned about oil on my property. As to hurricanes... they go wherever they want, so you just kinda batten down the hatches and take your chances.

I feel sorry for New Orleans aka The Big Easy. They are still recovering from Katrina and now they are starting to see oil hitting their barrier islands. They are currently dropping elephant sized sandbags from helicopters along the barrier islands.

lzenglish
13-05-2010, 04:16 AM
How many of you old turds remember what a break in kit was? it looked very similar to this dome they are trying to tap this pipe with. Also, does anyone remember "Red Adair"? He was the most famous oil well snuffer in the world. Well, he is dead, and no one know sh+t from putty anymore! I see these new cherries in the field, and it is very sad!

Magoo
13-05-2010, 04:21 AM
Hi Gary.
One thing that has intreged me for years is the Army Corp., policy of building levies [ spell check ] so now the big easy are living metres below to average tide level, uncool and not good. Here we dredge the river and maintain the natural level of the river. Not rocket science.

Magoo
13-05-2010, 04:37 AM
Hi Mr/Ms Izenglish.
Go and have a lie down and a nap, then talk to us all sensibly with the a brain in place

Gary
13-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Hi Gary.
One thing that has intreged me for years is the Army Corp., policy of building levies [ spell check ] so now the big easy are living metres below to average tide level, uncool and not good. Here we dredge the river and maintain the natural level of the river. Not rocket science.

Remember the old toilets where the tank was mounted high above the bowl? There was a cartoon going around the net with the tank labelled "Lake Pontchartrain", the bowl labelled "New Orleans" and a pull chain coming from the tank labelled "Katrina". Kinda says it all.

The big easy is a different kind of city. Some of the best food on the planet (hot enough to bring tears to your eyes, but totally worth the burn) and every spring the entire city is about Mardi Gras. Its a fun place.

lzenglish
13-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I expect that from people like you, they try and compensate for thir short cummings, buy critisizing others! crawl back in your hole!

lzenglish
13-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Mr/Ms Izenglish.
Go and have a lie down and a nap, then talk to us all sensibly with the a brain in place

I would bet you are the smartest man in the world Magoo, or at leat YOU think so! I probably have "forgot" more than you will ever know! I do know that you are Rude!

Have a Rotten day

l

coolhibby1875
13-05-2010, 09:04 PM
just seen live footage from the sea bed where the oil is spewing out, mmm it sure looks like a spring would have saved the day!!

Colin G
13-05-2010, 09:48 PM
just seen live footage from the sea bed where the oil is spewing out, mmm it sure looks like a spring would have saved the day!!

spring!! why not join 200 sets of oxy acet lines together and send the diver off with a few sticks of prefluxed rods, job and knock, sorry fore the crude joke :D

Gary
15-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Seems like the ideal solution would be to somehow make one or more of the ram shears work.

From what information I am able to gather about these blowout preventers (which is admittedly sparse) they seem to have two separate hydraulic systems, one for opening and one for closing.

Apparently the closing hydraulic system is leaking and cannot close the ram shears.

I'm wondering if pulling a vacuum on the opening hydraulic system wouldn't reverse its function, causing the ram shears to close off?

Just a thought.

ZeroTolerance
17-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Why cant they just crimp the mother fing line in several places along it? Im sure they have already tried this but IDK I try not to follow the world slowly ending stuff lol

Gary
20-05-2010, 08:44 PM
When you think about it, this wouldn't even need a spring.

The oil is leaking from the well into the sea, therefore the well pressure is higher than the sea pressure.

There is sufficient delta-P to power hydraulic shutoff devices just from the well pressure itself... and a lot more dP if the opposite side of the hydraulic device is evacuated.

Magoo
21-05-2010, 04:56 AM
Hello Ms Izenglish.
you toss pot. Change hands at a hundred, share your brilliant career with all of us.

cavalier2903
31-05-2010, 03:52 PM
i have a couple ideas
1) why can we not use a clamp to clamp the leaking pipe the pressure of the oil cannot be that great with a robotic arm some hard rubber and some pipe clamps obviously temporary.
2) dump cement on it until it clogs the hole the pore rocks and silt on it we can always pump 30,000 gallons of cement down there right.
3) make a long steel tube and possibly set it down on top that contains the oil and will push all the water up or when it is all oil start pumping it into container ships.

i dont know if any thing will work i think were are all just screwed i live in ft myers fl and i am starting to think nothing will work

lowcool
01-06-2010, 12:51 AM
and hurricane season is coming,what a f**k up!!!

mad fridgie
01-06-2010, 01:04 AM
I think they are going about this the wrong way.
They must know the dead head pressure of the well.
So all they need to do is inflate a bladder inside the deformed tube. The pressure in the bladder only need to exceed the pressure difference between the well pressure and the water pressure.
The expanded bladder will restrick the flow to a low enough level, that they can case the well head in concrete.
Actually I would look at at a string of bladders.

Magoo
01-06-2010, 04:00 AM
What is the diameter of the leaky pipe, perhaps a giant pinch-off tool will slow things down a bit, enough to cap to the end of it off

lowcool
01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
by the time they have this sorted out it probably be quicker to clone or resurrect red adair.pity john wayne is not still with us

coolhibby1875
01-06-2010, 09:00 AM
So all they need to do is inflate a bladder inside the deformed tube. The pressure in the bladder only need to exceed the pressure difference between the well pressure and the water pressure.
The expanded bladder will restrick the flow to a low enough level, that they can case the well head in concrete.
the pressure at the oil head is 500 times that at the surface, this is now turned into the USA worst enviromental disaster, so once again i can say that some of the most expierienced people in the world will be working on a soloution to this, i wish it was as simple as inflating a ballon in the pipe, but i can bet if it was as easy as this they would have done it, i can only hope they come up with the answer sooner rather than later, as a frequent visitor to the gulf i am hoping that the thing is contained soon.

mad fridgie
01-06-2010, 10:20 AM
the pressure at the oil head is 500 times that at the surface, this is now turned into the USA worst enviromental disaster, so once again i can say that some of the most expierienced people in the world will be working on a soloution to this, i wish it was as simple as inflating a ballon in the pipe, but i can bet if it was as easy as this they would have done it, i can only hope they come up with the answer sooner rather than later, as a frequent visitor to the gulf i am hoping that the thing is contained soon.
Firstly surface pressure is nothing to do with it, it is pressure differential with the water at that depth.
It is as simple as blowing up a ballon. The techincal problem is how quick you can blow the ballon up. As the ballon is increasing in size it will be forced out.
Other issues include over coming the lubricating effect of the oil on the inner of the tube. They have the world experts in the oil feild, they just do not have "me". I am employed by people to find solutions where solutions can not be found.
In most cases solutions are simple, but simply overlooked, because they are simple!

coolhibby1875
01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Mmmm i stand corrected, its good to know we have people on here we can all fall back on when the going gets tough:) maybe someone within your organisation can come up with a soloution as to why we Scots cant get a football team to the finals of the world cup:):)

mad fridgie
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Mmmm i stand corrected, its good to know we have people on here we can all fall back on when the going gets tough:) maybe someone within your organisation can come up with a soloution as to why we Scots cant get a football team to the finals of the world cup:):)
Sorry can not give away our soccer secrets, already given to the All Whites (NZ) seemed to have worked, they are in the world cup.:D
Well, I might just give two tips
1; Put the round ball in the oppossions goal
2; Stop the round ball going in your goal.

I guarantee (money back) if you did this in every match you would be in the world cub:rolleyes:

coolhibby1875
01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Sorry can not give away our soccer secrets, already given to the All Whites (NZ) seemed to have worked, they are in the world cup.:D

I guarantee (money back) if you did this in every match you would be in the world cub:rolleyes:

lol:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Gary
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM

The problem with this is that they have a weak point where the riser is kinked and the riser itself has a relatively low burst pressure. They need to block the leak within the blowout preventer (BOP) which has a much higher burst pressure.

Here's how I would do it:

I would cut a rectangular section out of the top of the riser near the kink, removing a curved rectangle about half the diameter of the riser and at least ten feet long.

At the far end of this notch I would insert a flat plate. This gives us something to push against.

On this pushing plate I would mount a hydraulic ram.

I would push a chain mail screen deep into the riser, as close as possible to the kink. The chain mail links would be just the right size to catch golf balls.

I would then do a junk shot with golf balls, filling the riser and the top of the BOP with golf balls.

Then I would shoot in shredded tires which would create a full blockage within the BOP.

Then comes the mud, followed by the cement.

mad fridgie
01-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi Gary, I have not really studied this, and I am sure they are not going to employ a sheep ****ger from New Zealand.
The point I was really trying to put across was that, those who are trying to fix the problem, are from the same peer group in the same industry, thus are likely to be thinking in a similar manor, in many cases, when solutions are required, it is best to employ some one left field, out side of the peer group education stream

Gary
01-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Hi Gary, I have not really studied this, and I am sure they are not going to employ a sheep ****ger from New Zealand.
The point I was really trying to put across was that, those who are trying to fix the problem, are from the same peer group in the same industry, thus are likely to be thinking in a similar manor, in many cases, when solutions are required, it is best to employ some one left field, out side of the peer group education stream

Then they have someone to blame it on if things go wrong.

Gary
02-06-2010, 07:18 AM
The problem with having the oil industry's leading experts working on this is that experts do things strictly by the book.

If they do it by the book and it doesn't work out, they did the best they could.

If they resort to unconventional methods and it doesn't work out, they are the reckless idiots who screwed the pooch.

Experts are not innovators and innovators are not experts. This is as it should be for most situations, but sometimes they need someone who thinks outside the box.

Or perhaps a collaboration is needed, with an innovator coming up with ideas outside the box and an expert who makes those ideas fit within the box... so the pooch doesn't get screwed.

Gary
11-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM

Magoo
12-06-2010, 03:28 AM
If they had the techo stuff to cut off the bend bit, why can't they crimp off the pipe.
Where is the drilling company in all this. The guys that screwed up in the first place, killing rig workers. They are conspicuous by there absence.
Then we have Prezi-Obama getting his shorts in a bunch.
Sell your BP shares. No dividend this year. All the institutional investors will be shacking in their boots.
Hell all the litigation lawyers must be rubbing their hands in anticipation.

Gary
13-06-2010, 05:07 AM
This would be comical if it weren't so damaging. These idiots jammed their saw in an effort to cut off the riser a few inches above a flange so they could install a makeshift cap that leaks like a sieve. I wonder if it occurred to them to just unbolt the flange and connect a real valve above it.

Magoo
15-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Hi Gary.
I am not suggesting for a moment that the situation is comical, this would have to be the worst man-made enviromental disaster in my memory since Bikini Atoll and Arizona testing, or lately the Kuwait well head burning after the desert storm. Here we bore the brunt of the ozone hole which effectively fried everyone real quick.
In my mind I cannot help feeling that something could be done real quick to resolve the leak, but they still want to maintain the well head for the oil downstream. So as to satisfy the biggest fuel market in the world, in the USA. The whole thing is money driven by "Wall Street ". those people again.

coolhibby1875
15-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi Gary.
I am not suggesting for a moment that the situation is comical, this would have to be the worst man-made enviromental disaster in my memory since Bikini Atoll and Arizona testing, or lately the Kuwait well head burning after the desert storm. Here we bore the brunt of the ozone hole which effectively fried everyone real quick.
In my mind I cannot help feeling that something could be done real quick to resolve the leak, but they still want to maintain the well head for the oil downstream. So as to satisfy the biggest fuel market in the world, in the USA. The whole thing is money driven by "Wall Street ". those people again.

couldn't agree more, what is starting to annoy me is the words being used out of the whitehouse, they are now saying this disaster is as bad as 9/11 and are blaming the Brittish, i think that is a slap in the face for everyone of the 3,000 familys who lost a loved one to a terrorist attack!! the disaster in the gulf is a bad 1, but to lay the blame at the feet of the Brittish is not on, yes it may be a Brittish company, but all the work force and equipment used is american, it all comes down to the thirst for iol in that part of the world:rolleyes:

dddon
15-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey guys! interesting to read your view / solutions of the mess in the gulf ...I read that Russia has said they closed off several out of control wells by using a small nuke .!! the world sure as hell has enuf of them!!!
but it really seems that it should be straight forward to pinch the pipe closed and limit the flow to a relative trickle.........if they can put a saw down there to cut it off ... why not a clamp?? dddon from MN

Gary
15-06-2010, 06:18 PM
I've been watching this story closely and here are a few bits and pieces I have garnered along the way:

There are any number of ways to plug the flow. That’s the easy part. The oil industry routinely uses an inflatable device called a packer. The question is not how to plug it. The question is where to plug it… and if it should be plugged.

The pressure at any given point is the source (oil reservoir) pressure minus the pressure to lift the oil minus pressure drops through restrictions along the way. When you plug the flow, the pressure drops through the restrictions are gradually eliminated (think pressure equalization) and the pressure upstream from the plug ends up being source minus liquid lift. If methane bubbles its way up displacing the liquid, then it is just source pressure. Estimates start at 9000 psi and go up to about 30,000 psi. That’s the problem.

If the riser had been plugged while it was lying on the sea floor, given its relatively low burst pressure (1400 psi + 2400 psi water pressure on the outside = 3800 psi), even if it were in pristine condition, it probably would have burst. With it bent and cracked, there is no doubt about it.

I have heard that the BOP, which is designed to handle very heavy pressures, is showing signs of stress cracks, so plugging it at the top, or anywhere within, may in fact burst it.

We can move the plug point to the wellhead under the BOP, but here comes the really bad news:

The well is made up of concentric concrete casings. The inner well casing/tube itself has a concrete plug at the bottom. It is strongly suspected that the oil is coming up between the casings and leaking between the top of the inner casing and the heavy concrete slab which is holding it all down.

If sufficient pressure is allowed to build up under that top slab, the entire well structure could be launched, leaving a gushing crater that makes the current leak look like a dripping faucet by comparison. Or as one oil field worker put it, “You ain’t seen nothin yet”.

The safest bet at this point may be to produce as much oil as possible to hold down the wellhead pressures and wait for the relief wells… and this seems to be what they are doing.

Once they get all of their production piping in place and working, I would hope their next step would be to entomb it all under a mountain of concrete, to hold down that top slab while they wait for the relief wells.

elmdas
15-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I saw someone quoted the pressure at the sea floor is about 2,500 PSI. Has anyone heard what the pressure along the length of the well casing is?

There's a formula, hagen-poisele or something like that, if you know the delta pressure and the diameter and the length and here's the kicker: the viscosity, then you can calculate the flow.

Did they even get a clean cut of the leaking pipe?

elmdas
15-06-2010, 08:27 PM
We can move the plug point to the wellhead under the BOP, but here comes the really bad news:

The well is made up of concentric concrete casings. The inner well casing/tube itself has a concrete plug at the bottom. It is strongly suspected that the oil is coming up between the casings and leaking between the top of the inner casing and the heavy concrete slab which is holding it all down.

If sufficient pressure is allowed to build up under that top slab, the entire well structure could be launched, leaving a gushing crater that makes the current leak look like a dripping faucet by comparison. Or as one oil field worker put it, “You ain’t seen nothin yet”.

The safest bet at this point may be to produce as much oil as possible to hold down the wellhead pressures and wait for the relief wells… and this seems to be what they are doing.

Mabye that's why they cut the pipe, to relieve pressure from the kinks and increase flow?

I'd sure like to see a cross section drawing of the whole damn thing. Just to get an idea what the weak points are. Then ask: why weren't they more careful?

kkboy
20-06-2010, 03:02 AM
i have a solution. sack all higher management for oil companies and throw them in jail as all they care about is money and bonuses. too many times i have seen incidents kept quiet so managment could get there bonuse. Also stop the yanks from drilling and the british.

Gary
20-06-2010, 09:06 PM
As I see it, the problem is the methane. A column of oil several miles high can hold down the reservoir pressure, but a column of methane will deliver full pressure up to the wellhead, through the BOP and up to the drilling rig.

I would install a parallel loop around the BOP. The loop would open with a pressure relief valve to reduce wellhead pressure, sending the oil/methane mixture through a methane separator (think oil separator). The separated oil would loop up to the top of the BOP, while the separated methane would be blown off, burnt off, produced... anything but deliver it to the drilling rig to cause explosions. :eek:

coolhibby1875
20-06-2010, 09:59 PM

looks like your secim right behind you:D:Drets are working a treat with the all whites! good on ya's

coolhibby1875
20-06-2010, 10:00 PM
dont know what happened to the above but what it should say is, good on the all whites!!

cadwaladr
20-06-2010, 11:48 PM
this tragedy claimed lives,nobody i know thank god,but it will be sorted guess a lot of money and time.but this find a scapegoat fast nail him to the mast ,gun ho yanks in full flow,bopal,friendly fire, lockerbie,four mile island,niger delta,remember the planes that bombed tripoli left our shores,not to mention screw ups on a global scale every week.dont get me wrong i love americans they push the technical boundarys i lived thru man on the moon,there help in our defense in 2 world wars men laying there lives on the line and never getting back,been to arllington cemetary and the beaches at normandy thanks many thanks,but hey guys an eye 4 an eye makes 2 guys blind ,get the prob sorted THEN get the nails and the cross in place.sorry if i upset anyone but i think your innocent till proven gujlty.

Gary
21-06-2010, 12:11 AM
this tragedy claimed lives,nobody i know thank god,but it will be sorted guess a lot of money and time.but this find a scapegoat fast nail him to the mast ,gun ho yanks in full flow,bopal,friendly fire, lockerbie,four mile island,niger delta,remember the planes that bombed tripoli left our shores,not to mention screw ups on a global scale every week.dont get me wrong i love americans they push the technical boundarys i lived thru man on the moon,there help in our defense in 2 world wars men laying there lives on the line and never getting back,been to arllington cemetary and the beaches at normandy thanks many thanks,but hey guys an eye 4 an eye makes 2 guys blind ,get the prob sorted THEN get the nails and the cross in place.sorry if i upset anyone but i think your innocent till proven gujlty.

I don't know of anyone who talks like that or even thinks like that. You've been listening to the propaganda machine... your's, ours, or maybe both.

Politicians are the lowest form of life and the media is not far behind. They don't care who died or how to resolve the problem. They just want to know who to blame so they know whose pockets they can pick.

If we ignore them... maybe they will crawl back under their rocks.

desA
21-06-2010, 01:35 AM
This should be the last drilling licence to be issued to BP. Their chief exec's performance is abysmal. He comes across as arrogant toff.

BP's track record in the US is ridiculous.