PDA

View Full Version : Cpc

bigdan
05-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi all,

I just broke into this side of the industry. I'm trying something new to fight off boredom. The racks seem pretty straight forward but the controllers are driving me nutty. Does anyone know where I can download some tech literature.

I'm clear on the theory of operation but muddy on how all the different setpoints and functions work together/against each other if not programmed properly.

The controllers in the stores I've serviced so far have had too many people "adjusting" stuff so alot of settings are different and the offsets have been set to compensate for faulty sensors. Some of the sensors needed are missing or failed and the controller has been set up to "run" without the sensors working.

I guess I need to know how to diagnose and condemn stuff related to the controller so it can be set up the right way.

:mad:I hate leaving equipment "working" instead of repaired correctly. :mad:

750 Valve
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
https://literature.emersonclimate.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductSearchCntrCmd?GnrSrchTxt=cpc&HFAction=GNRSRCH&SearchUserinfo=true

actually thats not the correct link, will do some more searching

Tesla
05-05-2010, 01:43 PM
HI Bigdan
To be short and sharp as an old mechanical and then controls tech - you sort of answered part of the question. The reason such controllers are in such a state is due to 1; not being set up and commissioned fully (properly) and 2; the frustration of guys like you're self knowing they are wrong and making adjustments with limmited knowledge. If you really care you would be taking up training and a wage cut from these controls companies and take your mechanical knowledge to add. Then you can make a differance. You don't need to condem - simply replace components of repair. As for 750 Valve I am absolutly ammused by your photo (great stuff).

bigdan
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
At what point in my original post did I state I was making adjustments to the controller?

I'm asking for help so I can make the controllers right.

I wish I had a mustache like 750's

tony--1
05-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I wish I had a mustache like 750's[/quote]

yeah thats sum bush hes got on his face ....!!!!! :D lmao

Brian_UK
05-05-2010, 08:46 PM
yeah thats sum bush hes got on his face ....!!!!! :D lmao
Don't you mean "That's some bush he has his face on.":D

Tesla
06-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Sorry Bigdan
Don't take it personally. I wrote people like your self not you. It is hard to learn it all at once but if you focus on one section at a time it becomes a lot easier to understand. To start with you could go to the websites of the controller and see if you can get some data on it like an operators manual or specs. A good book on control sensors and one on control theory will help. There are subjects of courses you could attend at a local teaching institute.

lowcool
06-05-2010, 04:08 AM
bugger me i thought that was einstein my apologies 750 valve but your not holding your age to well

750 Valve
06-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Haven't come up for air since July 2001 :D

In all seriousness bigdan (well as serious as a bloke in my position can be...) I used to do pub and club refrig, all mech controls and a multitude of equipment - old, new, weird and downright wacky. I decided to jump into supermarket to keep the grey matter in use, I was a little over awed at first but in the end you need to break it down to what it is - sensors reading temps based on resistances, varying voltages (0-10V) or varying amperages (4-20mA) - this info is processed by a microprocessor or PLC and outputs are switched on and off at programmed parameters.

Whilst learning the ins and outs of the supermarket game I would set aside a small portion of my night time callouts and trawl through wiring diagrams, technical schedules and programming guides until bit by bit I had a solid understanding of the whole thing - not just the controllers but all associated equipment like liquid level sensors, variable speed drives, transducers, 4-20mA loops, 0-10V signals, electronic oil level controllers and various valves (SORIT, PM and the like) that you encounter in plantrooms. It makes going to work so much more enjoyable when you don't have to worry about a big knowledge gap. At the end of the day my understanding of basic mechanical controls has put me ahead of those who were reared on just electronics, so too my basic knowledge of refrigeration and its many applications (LSF, HSF, cap tube, etc) - you can read about electronic controller programming but you have to experience the mechanical side of things to be proficient, this is where your experience will pay off.

In the end I liked the sector of the industry and spent the best part of 10 years commissioning supermarkets and programming a dazzling array of electronics before moving off the tools into engineering. Hang in there and don't screw with stuff without thinking about it - even things that seem absurd usually start with someone doing it for a reason, you just need to sit back and look at the big picture and in the end after all is said and done make a decision and back yourself based on the information you have gathered.

bigdan
07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the encouragement and advice. One of the things that attracted me to this side of the industry is being out of the weather. I always learn things the hard way but the good thing about learning things the hard way is only having to learn it once.
It's only been a month or so since I've started and I don't think I'll get bored for a long while.

p.s. my new employer is very understanding and knows I'll get it right if I'm left alone to figure it out.