PDA

View Full Version : Capillary systems

young gun
05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi,
I have always been taught and led to believe that on a capillary system, the Mass flow rate of the compressor MUST be equivalent to the capillary capactiy.
So in the case of compressor failure, it must be replaced with a compressor of the exact same pumping capacity. Or a new compressor and new capillary must be installed that match eachother.

My boss has constantly replaced compressors on capillary systems, with different compressors with different pumping capacities and different 'fully loaded amp' ratings, and says it can be easily fixed by playing with gas levels.

Is this correct?

monkey spanners
05-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Young gun,

The compressor should be the same or equivalent to what was on there originally if you want the system to work as the manufacturers intended.

Jon

Fett
05-05-2010, 11:32 PM
A capillary tube is just a metering device. If you install a compressor slightly bigger than the one that was on the system originally. Assume you recharge the system with the same amount of gas. You're high side pressure should be slightly higher than it would have been with the previous compressor.

A bigger compressor will force the gas through the cap. tube. In my experience it is good practice to replace a compressor with original equipment. What your boss is doing is okay but I would consider it not Kosher and should only be done when original equipment is un-obtainable.

-Fett

nike123
06-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi,
I have always been taught and led to believe that on a capillary system, the Mass flow rate of the compressor MUST be equivalent to the capillary capactiy.

You have been well taught!