PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Solution + Ammonia

gwapa
02-05-2010, 12:15 AM
It is a brown Soft drink bottling shop
For some reason the solution of Sugar -Water leak to the ammonia system:eek:
The sugar water solution+ ammonia formed some kind of caramel
This product reaches the compressor and destroys some of those. Piston ,Piston ring ,crankshaft etc.:mad:

The solution is a product very dark brown. As it reach the ammonia trap the float switch sticks out and lock. That made that the high level alarm and stop compressor switch did not work.

Now the plant is stopped:mad:
Some question which I like share with you all
1. As soon we opened the PHE ,which we think the plate are damaged , all the plates were clean no product. All the product (caramel) was in suction line, tramp and compressor?
2. What will be the procedure to clean up all the system ?
3. Do you have some chemical literature of the mixture of sugar water solution with ammonia?
4. How we can detect some kind of leaks? Do you have some recommendation about conductimeter or refractometer to predict this kind of problems?
I appreciate your very kind coments
Regards
Gwapa

gwapa
08-05-2010, 01:30 AM
No body had have this kind of problem???

Magoo
08-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Gwapa
It would seem the refrigeration circuit pressure is lower than the product pressure to get the product entering the ammonia circuit.
The product has solidified/frozen and burst into the refrig circuit.
The problem is the suction pressure of ammonia plant is too cold, raise the control pressure set point, or better still install a evaporator pressure regulator to PHE

gwapa
08-05-2010, 04:33 AM
thanks Magoo
You know after the syrup get inside the ammonia circuit the problem is very big.
ou has to stop de plant a wash down al the ammonia circuit with water :rolleyes: .It is the only sustance to disolve the syrup. Then you have to chenge filters, chenge compressors oil and make a lot of pressure test.
I found the a PHE has a capacity 200 Tr but it was running at 100 Tr .The suction valve (BPR) was selected for 200Tr so it is to big for the ormal running. Thereare not a small bypass BPR:eek:
So it is a good bad experience
Gwapa

nick_s
20-07-2010, 07:30 PM
how does the syrup get into the system, is the carbo-cooler leaking?

michaelm
20-07-2010, 11:14 PM
B”H
Usually in food application secondary loop system is used to protect the refrigeration side. Of course the efficiency is not the same but in case as your customer would prefer less efficient system after all. The conductivity meter would be complicated matter. If you install it on the ammonia site (first of all it should be with tem-re compensation) it should have the same properties (refrigerant + oil) and probably at different tem-re is not going to be the same. On the product side it will probably cover the probe with the product and will not give you what you need. I will send you the conductivity meters models we use. I do have it in the office.

gwapa
23-07-2010, 03:10 AM
michaelm
I appreciate it very much your information

michaelm
23-07-2010, 03:22 AM
B"H
Gwapa,
Here is thelink:
http://www.lth.co.uk/products/datasheets/CDM9.pdf