PDA

View Full Version : Engineering

terrie73
20-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Is It me or am i just one of the unfortunate ones trying to get ahead in our game over the past 6 years Ive worked for a couple of employers and they all promise the earth.

I don't like to keep on jumping ship,but they all have the same outlook throw u out there and just bash filters and change belts . with a few repairs and call out

It seems to me Most Companies just want monkeys to do the donkey work and the real work goes to the subbies.

I have spent 5 years so far at college and intend to spend at least another 7 and it frustrates me knowing that i may spend 2/3 of my career on maintenance. I know that maintenance is bread & butter stuff but we need to find some harmony between the cream and the crap. In saying that I know plenty of Engineers who love a bit of maintenance

I know and appreciate im not going to learn everthing overnight but i find myself doing Extras at weekends Helping out a Good old Boy who's willing to go through the works,where i have learnt most things,I enjoy the PJ's as they break up the routine to which I find myself stuck in the week.

Is there any good companies left out there who values some dedicated Indivduals who want to learn and become the best.

I've even resorted to doing training courses in my own time and try to spend a couple of hours a week doing research

As more and more Quality Engineers are in their early 50's where will we be in say 10 @ 15 years time. when all the good men retire?

How Long will i have to wait to get my hands round some proper equipment and get a feel for it? (chillers & controls)

terrie73
20-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Care to suggest any as the most companies i know are not intersted in training they just want u to fill up positions and have someone to turn up on site

I'm always on the look out for a better opportunity, but i find too many empty promises

frank
20-03-2005, 09:33 PM
What a breath of fresh air this post is. If you lived in the Midlands I'd be more than happy to get you in for a chat :)

Brian_UK
20-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey Terrie, I wish you luck and if you can take up with Frank or Marc you'll be doing well.

PS. Any chance that you could reduce your signature, it takes up a lot of screen reading room;)

terrie73
21-03-2005, 10:45 PM
cheers fellows your response is welcoming

I dont want to become a reset and run engineer

chillin out
25-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Hi Terrie

I have spent 5 years so far at college and intend to spend at least another 7

What takes that long to learn, are you going to be a doctor??

If you want to train in refrigeration you should look at city refrigeration they are looking for apprentices.
http://www.city-holdings.co.uk/
click the top right hand corner (where it says options) and click on careers

bernard
13-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi Terrie

There is jobs out there its up to you to sell yourself,I find you can learn faster at about 3am and store manager breathing down your neck.

Your not just cleaning filters your carrying out maintenance and representing your company by the way you dress and your attidude whilst building yourself a reputation.

You can,t keep a good man down and if I was in the correct location and Marc O,brien asked me to send in my c.v as he has with you,It would be on his desk before the gum dried.

Regards Bernard

TXiceman
15-04-2005, 02:03 AM
After 35 years in the industrial refrieration field I often wonder why we give away so much of our expertise when you look at DR's lawyer and such. They charge every time they open their mouth. It all goes back to we all know what we are, it is just the price that we haggle over.

Ken