PDA

View Full Version : Chiller/ Freezer Partly Frosting

Mistral1962
29-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi,

At the outset, let me confess that I'm not from refrigeration and am quite a moron in this trade. Tis this fact that has brought me here seeking help.

I own a 310 Lt refrigeator [Godrej Cold Gold] abt 10 yrs old now.

Abt a month ago, I noticed that there was partial cooling of the chiller/ freezer. Only a portion of the freezer (any one side or either the top of the freezer or the bottom side) would cool.

The mechanic whom I had called diagnised that the the Compressor was failing and hence the problem. The Compressor was changed with a brand new one. The capillaries were changed and the system was also flushed too. The fridge was back to normal :).

However, abt two weeks later the problem was back again :(. This time the mechanic said the problem was due freezer capillaries being choked with compressor oil (God only knows what the guy had meant when he said he had flushed the system and had charged me for the service :o]. The only solution according to him was now to repalce the freezer with a new one. It was done and the fridge was functioning normally again.

My joy was shortlived, barely two weeks later, the problem is back again and this time the mechanic doesn't seem to have a clue to the problem and has even stopped taking my calls :mad:. In this process I've spent money enough to buy a new fridge.

Plz some one help me know:
1. What prolly has gone wrong?
2.Where exactly the problem lies?
3. If the mechanic is taking me for a ride?
4. If its time to dump my old fridge? ( which I would hate to do after spending so much on it) and look for a new one.

A few observations which may be useful:

1. I can hear the compressor purring
2. I can hear the refrigerant shish-shwasing in the freezer capillaries
3. The capillaries at the back of the fridge is unusually less warm than the normal hot
4. Unlike normal operation, the compressor is running almost continuously.
5. The temperature on the freezer tray where there is cooling and frost formation as of now reads abt 25 deg C.
6. Cooling or Frost formation is mostly only limited to a small area. This area once in a while expands to cover almost the entire base of the freezer making it look as if the fridge has regained its normal condition.
7. There are no visible signs (the mech uses soap water bubbles to look for leaks) of leackage in the system.
8. The fridge is NOT a frost free model

I thank every one for their patience while going thru this unusually long post and for their efforts in enlighting me with a solution so that this time I'm more knowledgeable to what the new mechanic (or the old one if he finds the time to attend to the complaint) has to say.

multisync
29-04-2010, 08:17 PM
it's got a gas leak...

Mistral1962
01-05-2010, 02:48 AM
it's got a gas leak...

Thanx for the reply. Now I'll handle this accordingy.

goshen
01-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanx for the reply. Now I'll handle this accordingy.
Hi i would try a new technician:p

Mistral1962
02-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Hi i would try a new technician:p

Thanx for replying...

Certainly I'm going in for a new technician, but now, atleast, I know where the problem prolly is, :D I can tell the guy that the rides are over for him, if the new guy wants to take me for another merry go round ride... :rolleyes:

This forum has just about stopped me from dumping the ol' lady for a new one. :)