PDA

View Full Version : k40 ice machine won't go on defrost!

thai boy
27-04-2010, 06:12 PM
hi members, i've been working on a whirlpool k40 ice machine and for some reason it will not go on to defrost the system just keeps on running i first though it was the ice thickness stat because when i turned it off it carried on making ice so i changed the stat and it didn't solve the problem. has any one got any serjestions to what it could be? any help would be much appreciated

monkey spanners
27-04-2010, 06:36 PM
I've only worked on a couple of these... I think there is a hot gas valve to dump discharge pressure/temperature refrigerant into the evap to melt the ice off. Might be worth checking the coil is getting power and that it is working.

No doubt some more knowledgable members will be along shortly :D

Jon :)

thai boy
27-04-2010, 09:26 PM
hi, jon i've only worked on a hand full of these and never come a cross this problem before i cheaked the solinoid was lifting with my magnet and when i cheaked the power to the solinoid coil there was 240v coming in on both sides to the coil even when i disconnected the cables off the solinoid, i hope some one hes come a cross this before and can help me.

chillin out
27-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Have you drained the water out and ran it dry to check?

Check the water inlet valve is not passing all the time.

Check the micro switch has not made a large groove in the paddle above the cutting grid.

Chillin:):)

sheyno
28-04-2010, 08:05 AM
sounds like you've lost the neutral for the solenoid

coolhibby1875
28-04-2010, 12:49 PM
if you are getting 240 volts to the coil on both sides there is no neutral therfore the coil wont energise and not defrost, its amazing the amount of times people myself included forget to check the most basic of things ie checking your supply to neutral instead of earth!!

chillin out
28-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Remember these units generally switch the neutral to each component not the live.

For example, stick a multi meter on the valve connections and you will get 240v between each terminal and earth/neutral.
Only when the machine wants to do something (harvest) then a component gets a neutral given (by thermostat).

Chillin:):)