PDA

View Full Version : Fusible Plug

Sittard
26-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Hello All

Does anybody know why some of the liquid receivers in small condening units have fusible plug when others haven't. Basically I would like to know if I have to fit one of this plug somewhere to the high pressure line when it is not built in to the liquid receiver? Do you know whch one of the eurpean norm regulates that matter?

Many Thanks,
Sittard

sedgy
26-04-2010, 11:34 PM
the fusable plug is there to melt if the condencer overheats, but if its got a h-p switch set correctly, there should be no probs, if there where not a h-p switch you could have problems

Sittard
26-04-2010, 11:43 PM
the fusable plug is there to melt if the condencer overheats, but if its got a h-p switch set correctly, there should be no probs, if there where not a h-p switch you could have problems

In that case do you know at which temperature it starts to melt?

Thanks,
Sittard

hoyle
27-04-2010, 01:11 AM
It depends on the refrigerant most of the time it is stamped on the side of the plug.

Brian_UK
27-04-2010, 11:06 PM
http://www.acr-news.com/news/news.asp?id=643

sedgy
28-04-2010, 12:14 AM
hey up ths SITE MADAM IS HERE
MIND UR SPELLING , SHES WATCHING

Magoo
28-04-2010, 05:52 AM
Fusible plugs are an attempt to protect vessel in the event of a fire approximate to vessel. They have the occassional problem of letting go with age for no apparent reason.
They can and will kill you if you are in the way. A bit like being hit with a hollow nose magnum bullet, messy and deadly.
Have seen the result of one going off, large hole in roof.
They should be outlawed.

taz24
28-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Fusible plugs are an attempt to protect vessel in the event of a fire approximate to vessel. They have the occassional problem of letting go with age for no apparent reason.
They can and will kill you if you are in the way. A bit like being hit with a hollow nose magnum bullet, messy and deadly.
Have seen the result of one going off, large hole in roof.
They should be outlawed.

They also fail due to persistant long term overheating,
either through blocked condenser or extreme ambient conditions.

I thought that due to new regulations system now
are not allowed to have fusable plugs?? The only way now to safely vent
excess refrigerant pressure is through a pressure relief valve?

Some older systems and some systems not conforming to new standards
will still have the plug fitted.

They tend to melt at either 90 deg c or 110 deg c if I remember correctly?

Cheers taz

Sinomas
11-05-2010, 04:24 AM
From my point of view, fusible plug is still one of the most popular and reliable means of protections.

Nothing will last for ever. To be sure, you need to change the fusible plug after 12 to 18 months of service.

I say this as a manufacturer of fusible plug. It is your decision whether and how to do it. :confused:

Tesla
11-05-2010, 06:05 AM
In Aus and NZ fusible plugs are illegal. Only pressure relief valves are allowed. They used to be common in days of yore - Due to their unreliable operation especially as a safety device