PDA

View Full Version : Leak Detection bubble mix

cma
26-04-2010, 02:19 AM
Any one got a good recipe for leak detection bubble mix, I can't make one as good as the commercial ones but they are so expensive?

Fri3Oil System
26-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi!
we manufacture a Leak control System, that controls thermodynamic parameters from the installation and sends a sms to the installer when detecting the leak.
For locating the leak, we recomend the use of a good ultrasound equipment. that will safe a LOT of time for you

james10
26-04-2010, 08:09 PM
any liquid soap should work mixed 20/80 with water you should make sure that the liquid soap doesn't contain salt or ammonia as this can cause problems with copper pipework and brass fittings

Tesla
27-04-2010, 03:38 AM
if you add 10% glycarine oil to mix and leave in fridge overnight it makes better bubles

Magoo
27-04-2010, 03:58 AM
If you rely on bubble mix for leak detection, you have rocks in your head.
Break the bank and buy an electronic leak detector. So long as you can read the operational instructions.
Cheeez.

Fri3Oil System
27-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Electronic devices are not normally the best solution. Seriously, ultrasounds technology allows you to find leaks even in vaccuum, as they catch the ultrasound of the turbulence of ANY gas scaping, or entering the circuit. We've experienced great results with this technology.

lowcool
27-04-2010, 12:35 PM
spanish or indian ?

Fri3Oil System
27-04-2010, 03:41 PM
We are Spanish, the technology is American

sedgy
27-04-2010, 04:02 PM
fri3oil, hi, the line spanish or indian off lowcool was a joke< an english or an ausy joke, si, asta luago

james10
27-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Break the bank and buy an electronic leak detector. So long as you can read the operational instructions.
Cheeez.
Electronic leak detectors are fine if your carrying out a service leak test,you need spray when leak testing with oxygen free nitrogen

cma
28-04-2010, 06:25 AM
I realise electronic detectors are the go I have the top of the range TIF but it isn't the best way to pinpoint the exact area, and useless when nitro testing the system.

Tesla
28-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi cma
You are very correct. I use two top of the of the line electronics to find the location, then a buble test (big blu) for exact spot. Once found I will spray with flourescent spray paint a circle around it - because usually the customer doesn't pay for it to be fixed straight away.

Fri3Oil System
28-04-2010, 09:30 AM
as mentioned... ultrasounds take you to the exact point of the leak, without any intrusive method, or getting dirty the system...

Fri3Oil System
28-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Never understood English/Brittish humor... I guess Australian must be similar, :)

RANGER1
28-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Big Blu is by far the the best but as you say expensive . It will show leaks that soapy water won't .
The glycerine theory by Tesla is worth a try though .

cma
28-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi cma
You are very correct. I use two top of the of the line electronics to find the location, then a buble test (big blu) for exact spot. Once found I will spray with flourescent spray paint a circle around it - because usually the customer doesn't pay for it to be fixed straight away.

Cheers Tesla, exactly my method, I was basically asking if anyone could provide a mix that could match the performance of Big blu, as when your employees use it like its water and as a cleaner it gets costly. Thanks for your reply.Cheers.

Tesla
29-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Sorry for dragging on this post but I forgot one other important tip. If a leak is suspected from loss of gas but the leak cannot be located this is the method I was taught.
Seal suspected areas or components with a plastic bag and tape. Come back in a few hours or the next day and cut a small hole at the bottom of bag, then insert tip of electronic or hose of halide detector to confirm leak.

Fri3Oil System
29-04-2010, 08:42 AM
it seems you all like spending days in finding a leak... with ultrasounds, you can find it in a matter of (a few)minutes in the 90% of the cases

cma
29-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Cheeez.

Magoo, you say I'm cheap and yet you wont get a proper oil test done by a lab if you suspect moisture in a system? this will verify it rather than changing driers constantly, hoping your on the right track.

lowcool
30-04-2010, 01:29 AM
spray n wipe works for me,but if leakage is large it usually gets blown away.then the finger and suds go together,have had to this with off the shelf stuff as well

Peter_1
30-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Cheeez.

Wow Magoo, not quite a friendly answer but anyhow, I disagree with you for 100%. Suppose you have installed a new freezer room, you pressurize it and pressure drops, how then you will find the leak? We in Europe may not add gas any longer to the system to trace the leak.

ASAD
30-04-2010, 12:29 PM
it seems you all like spending days in finding a leak... with ultrasounds, you can find it in a matter of (a few)minutes in the 90% of the cases

Hi, can you be mor specify . which equipment you are use?, and way of the use in this equipment?

monkey spanners
30-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Why not make a vid of your ultrasonic leak detector finding leaks and put it on youtube for us all to see :)

Jon

cadillackid
30-04-2010, 03:10 PM
electronic leak detecors are great unless you are in confined spaces.. then the blasted thing just Bleeps all over... reset sensitivity, try again, still bleeps all over or doesnt bleep at all...

I like bubbles for nitrogen leak testing.. (pump the system up to full design pressure).. if I have a pesky leak I'll introduce some UV Dye in it and then go at it with a UV light at night... leak almost always shows up then...

I use a bit of washing machine Soap, some dawn dishwashing liquid and water.. about 70% water, 30% soap seems to work well...
-Christopher

Fri3Oil System
03-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi there!
the ultrasonic leak locator device is not mine.
I am not a refrigeration engineer, but I live among all you, and I try to sell special and very technical tools for our industry. So, I decided to enter this forum and learn sth, as one of my goals is to grow as a person and as a professional. I've used it many times, and have found leaks that engineers were looking for for several months.I don't want to be "too commercial" in the forum. The brand is Ultraprobe, it is an American device, and my company distributes it in Europe. What I can tell you, from the practical point of view, is that I use to travel around Europe with it, but I never come back to Spain with it in my hands. After a couple of demonstrations, I normally sell it.
There are many videos in internet about it, our you can go directly to the manufacturer. we also organize training courses to learn (ourselves included) about the ultrasounds technoclogy, which is quite new by the way.
Sorry for the "brick" (Spanish expression for such a long answer)

Peter_1
03-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Quite new :D? I have mine since 1990 , an SDT

Fri3Oil System
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Quite new, specially in Europe.
Regarding the leakages, it's also quite new... You can check how many guys here use it. :)
They started 1973, so it is quite relative deciding how new/old it is. 40yrs experience is quite nice time to develop a technology.
I don't know that model, if it's the same manufacturer, probably its not the most accurate now, you should buy a new one :P
kind regards

Peter_1
03-05-2010, 01:55 PM
SDT is not a model but the inventor of the ultrasonic.
Anyhow, used already brand new ultrasonic systems and they can't compete the sniffers, not even the cheapest ones.

Fri3Oil System
03-05-2010, 05:51 PM
I will probably be visiting Belgium in the short time, maybe I could show you how to wokr with it