PDA

View Full Version : Flex Fridge Pipe

Makeit go Right
23-04-2010, 10:35 PM
I bought a set of these flex pipes for a R410a condenser that some loony installed tight up to a slab etc, which is impossible to repair without taking the unit down(!)

So the 1.5m flexes seem to be a solution (when fitted), enabling the thing to be dropped down to a level where repairs (and maintenance) can go ahead. But the couplings are a bit, well, 40Bar seems a bit much for these joints.

Roughly, it is a length of high pressure hose with plain ends (ok), with a flare coupling pushed into the hose, clipped in place by two external clips. Ryan say you just tighen the clips onto the hose with pliers and that does the job. Hmmmmm, I still feel a bit skeptical.

Anyone installed flex pipes like this? Do they work okay? Any tips on tightening the clips etc?

lomb
23-04-2010, 11:05 PM
If these flexi pipes are anything like possibly what my refco hoses are good luck;)

ICE/RUNNER
24-04-2010, 11:12 AM
If you want good flexi hoses have a look at the carley website, we use them all the time. A bit pricey but havent had a single failure in 15 years. You just braze in a stub and make off the flare as normal.

nike123
24-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Did you mean pipes like this:
http://www.ryanairconspares.com/premade-conditioning-pipe-conditioning-flexible-pipe-size-c-91_157.html

olddog
24-04-2010, 01:01 PM
.............Roughly, it is a length of high pressure hose with plain ends (ok), with a flare coupling pushed into the hose, clipped in place by two external clips. Ryan say you just tighen the clips onto the hose with pliers and that does the job. Hmmmmm, I still feel a bit skeptical.

Anyone installed flex pipes like this? Do they work okay? Any tips on tightening the clips etc?.........

Sounds to me like you have some Burgaflex there ( burgaflex.co.uk )

If so then it seems to be OK for R410A.

I urge you to make them off exactly as Burgaflex say you should.

Get the correct crimp tool
Get the right size clips
Get the little plastic spacer thing
Make sure everything is clean etc etc etc

The only item of any significant cost is the crimp tool and its not much compared to the cost of even one pipe joint burst

BTW, Mitsi elec in their very own every helpful way will tell you that if you use this stuff warranty is void even if all appropriate tests are performed

al
24-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I've had a hydralic hose fitter make up some flexi lines in the past for use on 404a(replace intercool line on Bitzer 2 stage compressors), handles oil and pressures no problem, added bonus that the hoses have standard flare fittings.

alec

Makeit go Right
24-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Did you mean pipes like this:
http://www.ryanairconspares.com/premade-conditioning-pipe-conditioning-flexible-pipe-size-c-91_157.html

Yes, that's the kind of thing, Nike. Black hose, a standard conn flare-type insert to go inside the hose, 2x metal collar/clips on the outside, and a plastic thing to hold collars in place.

Sounds to me like you have some Burgaflex there (burgaflex.co.uk)…..I urge you to make them off exactly as Burgaflex say you should.
Get the correct crimp tool, right size clips, and little plastic spacer things.
Make sure everything is clean etc etc etc

I'm okay on right size clips and the little plastic spacer things, and will make sure all is super clean. The crimping tool looks key to the whole thing, though. (Ryan say plyers.....hmmm. A crimping tool sounds so much more like it.)

I will re-check if there is a crimp tool for these Ryan flexes. As you say, they might be made by Burgaflex, so I will contact them too, see what their ones look like, etc. Maybe there is where the solution for the crimping tool exists.

The only item of any significant cost is the crimp tool and its not much compared to the cost of even one pipe joint burst.
Agreed on that, especially as it is a repair jobbie for which the customer pays. Best to do right first time (as always) and include the crimper along the way.

BTW, Mitsi Elec in their very own every helpful way say if you use this stuff, warranty is void even if all appropriate tests are performed Wow, It is hard to understand why it would impact on a warranty. But this is Daikin kit and out of warranty anyway. However, good to know.

beagle
24-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Sounds like Gomax lines as well, assuming the crimping tool is the same you should be able to get one from any of the national distributors, D&W and HRP stocked them last time I needed them, was a while ago though.

Makeit go Right
24-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Sounds like Burgaflex (burgaflex.co.uk)

Dooooh! Just went to look for some writing on the side of the black flex hose: "Burgaflex A/C Hose.... by GoodYear". I did'nt notice the (unclear) Burgaflex trademame earlier.

Found some helpful install info on the Google:
http://www.transairmfg.com/pdfs/Burgaflex_%28TA_Clip-Lok%29_Parts_Identification_and_Assembly_Instructions.pdf

http://www.burgaflex.co.uk/pdf/Burgaclip%20Catologue.pdf

I will call them on Monday and get the crimp tool.

Phew! £70 for the tool.....guess we have to bite the bullet.

Thanks all.

olddog
24-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I will re-check if there is a crimp tool for these Ryan flexes. As you say, they might be made by Burgaflex, so I will contact them too, see what their ones look like, etc. Maybe there is where the solution for the crimping tool exists................

I have found Burgaflex happy to deal with small orders but do make it clear if you order tubing that you want it in continuous lengths and not lots of short bits !

Also, if the lengths are not very short the internal diameters of their tubing are not directly equivalent to that of what might be considered the same size of copper tube. Thus your refrigerant requirement per meter will most probably be not as documented by the split mfg. Do the maths for the pipe sizes proposed and you will see ( its the liquid line that matters here )

Makeit go Right
25-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Ah, yes. Good point on the internal diameters. I guess that's why Mitsi regard it as an issue with Warranty.

Peter_1
25-04-2010, 11:45 AM
We make a call to our wholesaler what we need and 30 minutes later, we can collect our Burgaflex. Easy as that.
No need to buy the crimping tool or a whole stock of connections. Perhaps a good tip for the UK wholesalers.

You also can use the Lokring products. http://www.lokring.com/products.aspx

olddog
27-04-2010, 08:28 PM
..............I guess that's why Mitsi regard it as an issue with Warranty.

Nay, Mitsi just quoted their default response;)