PDA

View Full Version : Timer feature will not work

back2space
21-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Last night I got home and the house was cold... it seems the timer functions are not working on the convertible units I have. This seems a intermittent fault.

The timer will be set up on the infra red remote and the orange light on the unit comes on to indicate that the timer is set.

However once the time comes for the unit to switch on (e.g. 4pm) the unit powers on but the flap opens into the position of cooling mode and not heating mode, despite last operation mode being heating. The pre heat light does not turn on and first glances at the unit are that it is in cooling mode. However the fan is not running so it seems the unit just forgets what it is doing. Both units are setup for heating mode. One of the units may come on but the other does not. This isn’t affecting my wall mounted unit.

It does this on both convertibles intermittently, there are no error codes or flashing so not sure what the problem is with the units. It seems like it could be a PCB fault, but all other functions are working.

This morning it was continuously doing it on specifically one convertible unit, I kept setting the timer by 10mins each time and the same unit was showing same behaviour. However the unit in the other room the timer would work fine on both infra red remotes.

I have changed the remote batteries in case these were sending a dodgy signal but I guess if this was the case the timer wouldn’t even set and the timer light wouldnt illuminate. Even tried swapping remotes over from another room and no luck... if I reset the power at the breaker it will be fine for a week or so.

Again engineer doesn’t know what the problem is, and have spent far too much £££ on engineer visits. So if this is the PCB then I will just order a new PCB and fit it myself like I fitted the probes myself for the wall mount.

My warranty is up now also so I could fit the part myself.

goshen
25-04-2010, 09:08 PM
hi what type of unit ?

back2space
25-04-2010, 11:26 PM
hi what type of unit ?

The unit is LG MS12AH, below is the email conversation I have had with LG, read up from bottom who dont seem to grasp what I am saying to them... the fault is not user error and I have explained the symptoms as to what the unit is doing when the timer switches the unit on, its almost as if the unit forgets what it should be doing.

To: Ken
Subject: RE: Timer not working on convertibles
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:43:16 +0100

.ExternalClass .ecxshape{;}.ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal{margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';}.ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}.ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}.ExternalClass p.ecxMsoPlainText, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoPlainText, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoPlainText{margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman','serif';}.ExternalClass span.ecxPlainTextChar{font-family:Consolas;}.ExternalClass span.ecxplaintextchar0{font-family:Consolas;}.ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle20{font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:windowtext;}.ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle21{font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:#1F497D;}.ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle22{font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:navy;}.ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle23{font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:#1F497D;}.ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle24{font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:navy;}.ExternalClass span.ecxEmailStyle26{font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:#1F497D;}.ExternalClass .ecxMsoChpDefault{font-size:10.0pt;}@page Section1{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;}.ExternalClass div.ecxSection1{page:Section1;}.ExternalClass ol{margin-bottom:0cm;}.ExternalClass ul{margin-bottom:0cm;}
The operation lamp comes on and the louver opens but it opens as if the unit was in cooling mode with no fan running despite the unit being in heating mode.

No because the last function the unit was running in was heating mode and there is a demand as the room temp is below the set required temp of 22C, room temp 18C.

I have to turn the unit on and off again and then it carries off as normal.

The timer function is required as we cannot fit a wired remote controller and need the place to be warm.

This does not matter if there are other units in other rooms also set up with the timer (they are all in same mode) it happens if I only have one in operation.

Usually a full power reset at the mains gets the timer function working again. Its only recently started doing this.

Not sure what the issue is.

Sent: 23 April 2010 17:16
To: 'Richard

If he Operation Lamp comes on and the louver opens at the ON Time, then the ON Timer function must be working.
If outdoor unit does not run, that is a “demand” issue, not time clock.

The “Master” indoor unit will determine the operating mode of the outdoor unit. If it were operating in Cooling Mode and you change it to heating, but the thermostat remains off, the system mode will remain in cooling with no error (and vice versa). This may be what you are experiencing?

To be honest, the IR timer functions are fairly crude and very few people use them. You’d be better of switching the units ON/OFF manually.

Kind Regards,

Air Conditioning Hotline
TEL: 0844 847 1402 (Option 4)
Switchboard: 01753 491 500
FAX: 01753 576 525

http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr01/ltr/i_safe.gif

LG Electronics UK Ltd.
Registered Office: LG House, 250 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX / Registered No: 2143888
This e-mail is confidential, legally privileged and intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, print or rely on this e-mail.

Sent: 23 April 2010 12:19
To: 'Ken

Ken

The timers have worked fine for the last 2 or so years, they are being set with the same remote control for each room with an on time of 4pm and an off time of 8pm. (being activated each day as needed)

They are in heating mode but the outdoor unit does not come on, the units flap opens into cooling position where as it should open into position of heating mode.

Like I say it as if the unit does not know what it is doing. There are no fans come on, no preheat light. If the unit is left the timer switches off later at the said time.

It sounds like a PCB fault. What do you think?

Sent: 23 April 2010 10:55
To: 'Richard

Richard,

Possible Timer Settings are:-

An ON Time
An OFF Time
An ON then OFF Time
An OFF then ON Time

The Orange “Timer” lamp should be lit when any of these are set on the indoor unit (memory), and go off once all the timer switching points have passed.
Timer operation must be reselected each time the function is required.

If the unit turns on in heating mode, the coil is warm and it is in thermostat off, then both the fan and pre-heat lamp could be off.

If this is happening intermittently, I would suggest a possible user misunderstanding or user error.

Kind Regards,

Air Conditioning Hotline
TEL: 0844 847 1402 (Option 4)
Switchboard: 01753 491 500
FAX: 01753 576 525

http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr01/ltr/i_safe.gif

goshen
26-04-2010, 09:32 PM
hi
After reading description i would say pcb fault!

back2space
26-04-2010, 10:46 PM
hi
After reading description i would say pcb fault!

This is what I think too, is it the outdoor or indoor pcb though as it does it on both my floor mount units occasionally. A full power reset of the breaker fixes it for a few weeks though.

Dont know why LG are still not grasping this.