PDA

View Full Version : capstone assessment

nesterjester
18-04-2010, 10:16 AM
hey guys this is a great forum here!

i am finally coming to the end of my apprenticeship and here in Aus we have to do a capstone which is basically our final assessment

it involves theory assessment and practical fault finding assessment

i am booked in for next week and want to know if anyone on here has done there capstone or know anything about it. I just want to be prepared and know what to expect.

Ive started refreshing on a few things by reading text books and looking through the troubleshooting forums.

any knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks heaps in advance!

rem955
05-04-2011, 05:35 AM
hi nesterjester just wondering how you got on with your capstone i need to do mine this year and would love some info on what to expect for the practical

mb217116
23-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi nesterjester. and rem955. i am also doing capstone this year. how did use go with yours? i am starting theory tomorrow and prac in a fortnight any info on what use had to do would be great. cheers

Magoo
29-08-2011, 02:04 AM
OK, so what is capstone.

install monkey
29-08-2011, 02:47 PM
im guessing they all failed it as none of the ignorant gets updated the post

Brian_UK
29-08-2011, 11:33 PM
For Capstone read C&G but better.

Magoo
30-08-2011, 02:29 AM
Hi Brian,
and what is C&G, capstone C& G, are we all talking in riddles now. F-gas, this and that gas.

mikeref
30-08-2011, 03:23 AM
Hi Brian,
and what is C&G, capstone C& G, are we all talking in riddles now. F-gas, this and that gas.
Thinking capstone is a sort of final exam, written and practical. This piece goes with this piece and joins to this thing. yellow tip this fitting and blue tip solder steel to copper. Never had any capstones in my training but then again, it may have been called something else back then.

Magoo
30-08-2011, 04:03 AM
Hi mikeref.
Is it that we all write abbreviations, what happened to plain english. Say what you mean, without the confusion and mis-interprution and subsequent screw ups and everyone getting their titz in a tangle.
OK , C& G = city and guilds, a bunch of plonkers in London. Me, I live 12000 miles away, what is the revelence .

mikeref
30-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Oh, sounds like someone had bitch for breakfast ;). Just kidding. Short cutting saves time when typing. Just as we say ARCTIC instead of Australian Refrigeration Council. Guess C&G has nothing to do with us directly.

Brian_UK
30-08-2011, 06:19 PM
<snip> Guess C&G has nothing to do with us directly.
As you say, nothing directly, just another name for an Assessment/Training organisation.

Magoo
31-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Hi Mikeref and Brian.
still confused as to what Capstone means, is it like a Trade Certificate thingo from the past.

Tesla
31-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi Magoo
Yes it is, once passed the candidate can get the Trade Certificate, sort of. It is like a Trade Cert written exam and a practical test, once all assessments or modules are complete the candidate will do the Cap Stone test, then after another year of experience in the trade, one can apply for a Trade Certificate. They may allow a shorter time for an adult apprentice. The Cap Stone is the end of school work once passed.

Turbo2212
31-08-2011, 01:55 PM
http://elt.ee-oz.com.au/files/archives/UTE99/A4RACDAMD/NUE508A_Refrigeration_Systems_Safety_-_Capstone_assessment_2823.pdf

This link provides the information you require about the course.

Magoo
03-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Hi Telsa.
thank you for explanation. But why is not called Trade Certificate?. Fairly self explanitary explanation. I am old alright.
Say if I rocked up to a client and said [ verbally ] I am capstone qualified. Client thinks Capstains are winch grinders on a boat. what is the relevance to refrigeration.

Tesla
03-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Hi Magoo
The capstone is exactly the same as a trade cert exam (what we did) but even passing trade cert in NZ doesn't automatically get a trade certificate. The certificate (for us) came after showing a due completion of apprenticeship and a pass in trade cert exam. The capstone includes a practical test. If you would consider the capstone on a building it's the last piece, the end of training. But the trade cert only comes with a pass for capstone and completion of apprenticeship with additional time for experience.
As for the not calling it Trade Cert exam I am not sure. But I will ask when I go to Tafe next week.

taffy-boy
01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
is that like the flintstones

Simeonx1
12-12-2011, 09:09 AM
i need to do my capestone to !! dam this trade .

in Australia . 3 years at tafe 1 day a week . 4 years at the job training in total.

You have to fill at 2 years worth of dairy proving that you have done all kinds of work. get your boss to sign it.
Onces its checked over you can then sit your practical . then a 3 hour test a few weeks later ..

i havent done any of this. i have worked for 6 years :( i stink