PDA

View Full Version : R22

kostaskam
16-04-2010, 10:44 PM
hi everyone
could you please tell me if i could replace R22 with R407 in split air condition??
thank you

:off topic:

simon@parker
17-04-2010, 12:13 PM
hello :)have seen it done on airedale units in uk no valve change or oil and i think they were lucky it seems to work ok but they maneurope compressors an they will take some punishment an i think they already had synthetic oil in if u working on a very old system it might be the end of it if yr customer willing to stand the research an development cost try it but drop email to unit manufacturer first an get all the info ya can on system and gas dont just chance it an cross yr fingers at least if ya make an informed decision an it dont work ya aint gonna look stupid good luck let me no how it goes :)

kostaskam
17-04-2010, 07:35 PM
hallo parker and thanks for your advice.
some have already tried it succesfully.
but i want it alsow the opinion from someone with experience.
once again thank you
i will try it and i ll let you know how it goes.

Thermatech
17-04-2010, 09:38 PM
R407c will work ok in R22 split systems ok but need to replace all the mineral oil with synthetic oil.
One way is to braze a 1/4 access valve into the bottom of the compressor shell & use it to drain the oil & using oil pump recharge with synthetic oil.
You need to do this perhaps twice or 3 times leaving the system to run for a few days between each oil change to get the old mineral oil down to less than 5%. Some mineral oil can also be in the bottom of any suction accumlator & generally arround the system & you need to get it all out or at least below 5%.
To measure the ratio of mineral oil & synthetic oil you need a refractometer.
Provided you you get the mineral oil content less than 5% the system will work & no oil sludging problems.
As R407c costs a lot less than some drop in replacements it can be a cost effective solution but you do need to factor in the cost of return visit to site to change the oil.

kostaskam
17-04-2010, 11:54 PM
thank you thermatech
i ll try it and i ll inform
thanks again

kostaskam
20-04-2010, 10:03 PM
hi .i put R407c in freezer with R22 and everythink it;s ok until now.the temprature is -28 and work very good.i chek it 5more days and inform about resaults.